>

Randy on Eddie

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by ricksdisconnected, May 4, 2021.

1. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Hendrix was no Van Halen.

I like you. You're funny.

2. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

What.

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

VH played & recorded a lot of covers...

You Really Got Me
    You're No Good
    Pretty Woman
    Dancin' in the Streets
    Ice Cream Man
    Where Have All the Good Times Gone

there were more...

4. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Eddie was an outstanding writer and arranger. No doubt about it.

5. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I remember reading an interview with Brad in which he said "My amp is a Boogie and I love it!"

Later that same year I saw Night Ranger in concert and he was using a Marshall..:shrug:

6. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

And Van Halen was no Hendrix either. Or Page. Or Beck. Or Clapton.

When Van Halen's first album came out, I was as blown away as everyone else was..10 years later I was getting pretty bored with his playing. He could never break out of that two-handed tapping box IMO..And after they kicked David Lee Roth out of the band I didn't care for "Van Hagar" at all, although I do like Sammy's solo stuff, along with a lot of his other work, like Montrose.

Nowadays I listen to far more old Hendrix/Page /Beck/Clapton stuff than I do Van Halen.

I remember seeing him on SNL back when G.E. Smith's group was the house band on there. Valerie was hosting the show that night and I suppose Eddie tagged along..G.E. Smith always did a jam with different guitarists back then and so did one with Ed..That night I watched G.E. Smith blow Eddie Van Halen totally out of the water! They were doing a blues jam and when it came VH's turn to solo all he could do was his two-handed tapping shit, which was the aural equivalent of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole! For someone who claimed to have been heavily influenced by Clapton it was pretty lame.

I learned a lesson watching that though, that being one can be an incredible player in a certain style but can't play for diddly when they step outside their box!

And when it comes to two-handed tapping, Hendrix was doing that when Van Halen was still in diapers. Emmet Chapman cited Hendrix's two-handed tapping as his inspiration for the Chapman Stick in the early '70's..VH just took it to a higher level.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  7. StrummerJoe

LOL Whatever bro. I'm old enough to have watched it live and it's readily available on youtube.

"I watched G.E. Smith Blow Eddie Van Halen totally out of the water!" <---- That right there is the funniest thing I have read online in a very long time, most likely the funniest thing I'll read today, and quite likely it will be a while till I read something funnier.

Your whole post is funny. Emmet Chapman isn't the most honest person around. Did you know he tried to patent tapping? Claimed to have invented it. I used to work for Dave Bunker Sr. (RIP) of Bunker guitars - inventor of the Touch Guitar who received a patent for the original Touch Guitar, the Duo Lectar, when Chapman was a baby. Dave even had to testify in court when Chapman was sued for trying to patent tapping and Chapman lost. Dave never claimed to invent tapping saying he got it from Jimmy Webster. And it goes back further than that. Tapping has been around a very long time and EVH never claimed to have invented it. Sure were a hell of a lot more people doing it AFTER =\//-/= and not a whole lot before though. If all you ever focused on was that aspect of his playing you missed out on a lot.

Love the claim that Hendrix was tapping!

You're awesome!

DaDoc likes this.
  8. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Whatever. But I never said anywhere in my post that EVH "invented tapping"..And I stand by my statement that G.E. Smith blew him out of the water that night, because the bottom line is that he did..Sorry.

One reason it stands out in my mind was because I was more than a bit disappointed that he played so badly that night, but like I did say it was a eye-opener as far as someone being a great player but lousy at other genres.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of my post though, I like making people happy..:lol:

MarshallDog and StrummerJoe like this.
  9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Go to :56 and see Pagey play with the tapping in i think 75.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  10. StrummerJoe

hahaha9.gif

Can't believe you topped yourself! You must be a blast at parties. I really mean it! :cheers:

You didn't suggest EVH invented it, what I was pointing out is neither did Chapman though he DID claim to have. I was contrasting the two to make a point.

DaDoc likes this.
  11. StrummerJoe

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok lets get ridiculous:

StrummerJoe likes this.
  13. StrummerJoe

He'd be a natural for the Bunker Touch Guitar!
    bunker001.jpg

anitoli likes this.
  14. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

his covers were better played than the originals

TheCount0212 likes this.
  15. ricksdisconnected

not by choice i bet.

16. ricksdisconnected

G.E Smith is a bad ass guitar player. love to watch his interviews too.
    i wasnt there the night of your claim but that statement is :nuts: lol

StrummerJoe and DaDoc like this.
  17. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Thanks! Maybe I should pursue a career in stand-up comedy..:lol:

Since you're getting such a kick out of my posts, and seem to think Eddie is the be-all and end-all of guitar gods, here's another little tidbit that will probably crack you up..In an interview with Joe Walsh in an issue of Guitar Player in April '88 (Another guitarist that blows EVH outta the water IMO) he stated:

"At some point the flashiness, playing incredibly fast, and being technically capable starts to be a blur. I've found that, in general, less is more. For example, Albert King can blow Eddie Van Halen off the stage with his amp on standby, even though Eddie is probably the most overwhelming guitar player alive. You know, Eddie Van Halen can pretty much play circles around anybody existing, but Albert King can blow him away with two notes. I have nothing but respect for Eddie, I can't even comprehend what he does. But why would anybody want to play like that? After two or three solos, it's a blur."

Well said Joe! :applause:

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  18. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's on you tube somewhere, you should check it out.

His style is pretty much what I do myself, I would much rather play like that than waste time and bore people by trying to cram 1,000 notes into a 30 second solo.

MarshallDog likes this.
  19. StrummerJoe

That was in a GP with Mark Knopfler on the cover if memory serves me right. And it was bullshit then and it's bullshit now - and I am a big fan of most things Joe Walsh has done outside the Eagles. I'm also a HUGE Albert King fan. I never stated anything to the effect the EVH is the be all end all of guitar gods. I pointed out rightfully so that his impact was easily as big as Hendrix's impact, and in fact larger. EVH changed the way we play, and the way manufacturers build guitars and amps. I can say that with absolute confidence while at the same time still recognizing the enormity of Hendrix's influence. Nobody ever came close, till a Dutch boy out of Pasadena came along. I can't really think of anyone who has had an impact like either of those guys since.

On a side note, stand up would be a good choice for you, I'd go see your set! :applause::cheers:

DaDoc and ricksdisconnected like this.
  20. StrummerJoe

DaDoc and ricksdisconnected like this.