>

Randy on Eddie

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by ricksdisconnected, May 4, 2021.

1. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

2. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

Eddie, Randy, George they are all badazz players.

3. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

None of them ever topped Hendrix. Sorry to say. He's ended up being the apex for rock guitar players. Everyone since is kinda meh by comparison.

Derrick111 and Maggot Brain like this.
  4. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Mostly hear say but it could be true. Eddie did influence a lot of people Dokken used to play guitar and sing before his band and I saw him play eruption when it was current. I can not change my opinion of Randy because of a interview. They may have been rivals and Eddie discovered a style that was unique for the time and many followed him. I appreciate what Eddie did but what Randy did with Ozzy had more of what I like in guitar playing. 2 hand tapping is one thing but not what defines his style of playing.

Eddie did do something else besides customize and play guitars , he created the brown sound that is still very popular.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    MullardFillmore likes this.
  5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I think they are both too notch. It would be hard for me to choose!

6. ricksdisconnected

lol hendrix didnt change the world like eddie did

Barfly, drolaw, Hogie34 and 3 others like this.
  7. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Hendrix is the gold standard and the yard stick by which all subsequent players are measured.
    Ed’s ok but no where near Hendrix. Everyone knows he is the greatest though some cling to their personal favorite... delusional as that may be.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

roflmao. yeah ok.

Barfly, Hogie34, Derek S and 4 others like this.
  9. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

Eddie, as great as he was, definitely took it heart when everyone started telling him he was the greatest guitarist that ever lived when he was 19. I mean, everything the guy touched turned to fucking gold. Seriously. The mere mention if the tiniest guitar part made it sell millions overnight. He made his brother and his bandmates incredibly wealthy. AVH is one of my favorite drummers of all time but he may very well have been doing wedding gigs for the rest of his life if Eddie didn't take to the guitar.

I can't recall him ever saying anything about Hendrix specifically, which is lame. If anyone has an interview where he does so I'd like to hear or read it.

He famously spoke shit about Page's playing, when it's so friggin obvious exactly how intensely he dissected the entire Heartbreaker solo and expanded and built on what Page did there in almost all of his solos. I would say as much as he cites Clapton as an influence, Page is equal to or greater whether he wanted to admit it or not.

Also, I grew up listening to Harvey Mandel and I don't think Eddie's ever mentioned him, although George has, which is also bs. One of the reasons that the least interesting aspects of his playing, to me anyway, is the tapping. Because it had already been done, and done well by Harvey. Not as loud though!

In summation: Eddie was not what anyone would call humble. I llsten to Van Halen all the time, as I do Zeppelin, Hendrix, Sabbath etc. I still hear new things in all of it, all the time.

WellBurnTheSky, DaDoc and ibmorjamn like this.
  10. ricksdisconnected

you people are funny as hell.

tonefinder and jstich like this.
  11. Im247frogs

Don't misunderstand me, I think EVH is a god. But he couldn't have gotten there without Hendrix or Page. Not at all.

12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

I’d be surprised if anyone would really disagree with this

DaDoc, Mitchell Pearrow and AlvisX like this.
  13. Im247frogs

My point is that Eddie himself would probably disagree with it. If he's saying that Randy didn't do anything the he didn't "already do", he was being a little ridiculous and implying that no one came before him and certainly no one would ever come after him.
    Randy had his own style, his own ideas, he didn't rip Eddie off. He was a great writer, too.

14. tallcoolone

Big egos go along with the territory I suppose. I remember in the 80s it was a big deal when Jimmy Page claimed he ‘never heard of’ EVH. Eddie himself actually gave credit to Page and his acapella HB solo on TSRTS with inspiring his 2 handed technique

15. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

it just shows different years, different influences. I have to agree with this statement. Hendrix really did take it to the next level greater than anyone had ever seen. EVH was such an amazing player-EVERYBODY wanted to play like him, but to me? my opinion? Jimmy Page, he had such an incredible mystic and imagination? EVERYBODY wanted to be HIM. to me that is the difference. I don't knock the extreme talent of any of the Three, but at my young age and throughout my playing career, Page has always been and probably will always be on top (to me).

Hogie34, WellBurnTheSky and DaDoc like this.
  16. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

I think age has something to do with it.I was about ten when I heard eruption and VH 1st album.If I had been 10 when I discovered Hendrix I might love him as much as I love VH.And Randy seems to say VH influenced him.Randy wasn't really around long enough to get his own distinct sound unfortunately.He had bits of VH in some of his playing,yet still unique.

DaDoc and StrummerJoe like this.
  17. Im247frogs

I wonder if that was before or after Eddie said he sounded like he was playing with broken hands.

WellBurnTheSky and DaDoc like this.
  18. tallcoolone

Haha--I resemble that remark!

DaDoc likes this.
  19. ricksdisconnected

i dont see how you get that. Eds claims that clapton and allen where his two biggest influences.
    but we gotta keep in mind, the OP was randys thoughts on Ed. nobody has really said much about that as of yet.
    not saying we cant stray because we can.

drolaw and StrummerJoe like this.
  20. tallcoolone

Ed famously said that Page's HB solo was the inspiration for his tapping technique.

ricksdisconnected likes this.