Questions on heavy metal guitar recording and some others

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by BatmansMarshall, May 20, 2020.

1. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

I have some questions for playing heavy metal and specifically in the context of recording.

This is the kind of stuff you don't learn in basic books or videos and nobody really knows if they are right or wrong sometimes if I ask them. So I just would like to know what people think to get an idea of some things. Here are my questions.

1. With a guitar do you set the volume and tone knobs to zero and work your way up or do you set them to 12 o'clock and work left and right on that for more or less?

2. How often do you go full volume on your guitar? Is it there by default, rolled back a little or even midway?

3. Does it stay that way or do you make adjustments depending on what you are playing?

4. With amps do you set the EQ knobs to zero and work your way up or do you set them to 12 o'clock and work left and right on that for more or less?

5. When recording for a high gain distorted tone how do you know when it's too much gain? What is the test you do? How do you know when you don't have enough?

6. When you push an amp with a tubescreamer and it's time for the metal solo why does a good rhythm tone not sound good on the higher frets for soloing? Is there a change you need to make that allows for that to sound fine. What is it usually?

7. Do you often find that just because of all the different brands of gear that go into a rig that you need to do something odd like trebs all the way down on your amp all the time no matter what? Or a neck position that just sounds like a bridge should and the bridge doesn't etc?