Questions for motorcyclists, or better yet, gas scooter owners?

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, my dad passed away recently. One of his things that I inherited is his gas-powered scooter. I know nothing about scooters, so I am wondering if any of you can answer some things for me. No one I know has any answers.

First off, my dad did not have a motorcycle license, so that wasn't a requirement for him to use it.
My best guess is he bought it new around 2015, and he always took good care of it.
It is a registered vehicle, so it requires a valid registration.
I believe it's either 30cc's or just under 30cc's.
There is no title to be found, my guess is it doesn't require a title? I would think any vehicle that requires a registration would have a title?

What would I need to do to be able to register it in my name?
Is a helmet required to ride it in NYS?
What are some common laws on the use of these types of scooters?

I don't know the make/ model yet, but expect to be bringing it to my house tomorrow, and maybe I can get some pics, if necessary.

Thank you in advance.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
As many of you know, my dad passed away recently. One of his things that I inherited is his gas-powered scooter. I know nothing about scooters, so I am wondering if any of you can answer some things for me. No one I know has any answers.

First off, my dad did not have a motorcycle license, so that wasn't a requirement for him to use it.
My best guess is he bought it new around 2015, and he always took good care of it.
It is a registered vehicle, so it requires a valid registration.
I believe it's either 30cc's or just under 30cc's.
There is no title to be found, my guess is it doesn't require a title? I would think any vehicle that requires a registration would have a title?

What would I need to do to be able to register it in my name?
Is a helmet required to ride it in NYS?
What are some common laws on the use of these types of scooters?

I don't know the make/ model yet, but expect to be bringing it to my house tomorrow, and maybe I can get some pics, if necessary.

Thank you in advance.
Post some pics and make/model. Could be a moped or vespa, definitely need a license, insurance and registration. Get one of those nazi helmets it would be so cool! Start your own neighborhood biker gang with other retirees! You would be bad @$$ down at the pool hall or at the 7-11 eating Sponge Bob ice pops! :yesway:

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Post some pics and make/model. Could be a moped or vespa, definitely need a license, insurance and registration. Get one of those nazi helmets it would be so cool! Start your own neighborhood biker gang with other retirees! You would be bad @$$ down at the pool hall or at the 7-11 eating Sponge Bob ice pops! :yesway:
OMG. It's too early to be laughing this hard!

It's not a moped or a Vespa. It's quite a bit cooler than that. When I get it, I'll post a pic or 2.

playloud

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about your dad @Vinsanitizer.

It sounds like he has left you a fun time here!

NY doesn't require titles for mopeds apparently, just registration (the rest varies by "class"/top speed): https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-moped

I use a moped to get around town occasionally and it's a blast, especially during rush hour. I recently passed an old geezer and got "you're a menace on the road!" out the window.

Sure beats driving, just don't think about the increased risk of crashing!

Bull Rock

Reaction score
If it yas two big round headlights and the frame is all exposed it's a Honda ruckus 50cc.

No frame exposed but two big headlights, it's a yamaha bws 50cc.

If it's very modern space agey looking who knows...post some pics when ya can. Gasoline powered vehicle usually all require plates ins etc.

There are so many in the market nowadays...hard to tell. My exes mom had a 400cc yamaha scooter...I took it on the highway and had it up to 155 kph before backing off because it was a scooter and not as nimble as a street bike. Let is know Vin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-063322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-063322_Samsung Internet.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220517-063500_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220517-063500_Samsung Internet.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Don't know what your helmet laws are but I would strongly recommend wearing one.
I say this because I got to see the immediate aftermath of a fatal motorcycle accident last spring.
Accidents happen- you may be thick headed but skulls are fragile. ;-)

just my $.02

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
If it yas two big round headlights and the frame is all exposed it's a Honda ruckus 50cc.

No frame exposed but two big headlights, it's a yamaha bws 50cc.

If it's very modern space agey looking who knows...post some pics when ya can. Gasoline powered vehicle usually all require plates ins etc.

There are so many in the market nowadays...hard to tell. My exes mom had a 400cc yamaha scooter...I took it on the highway and had it up to 155 kph before backing off because it was a scooter and not as nimble as a street bike. Let is know Vin.
Yeah, I need to get some pics. I don't even know the make/ model, but it isn't like a Yamaha, etc. All I know right now is, it's red. I know it's 30cc's or below, because anything bigger requires a motorcycle license, and my dad was avoiding that. He just wanted to go for a spin around the backstreets of his neighborhood, get some coffee in the morning, maybe a sub for lunch. I think we'll be picking it up either later tonight, or some time tomorrow. Tomorrow's my wife and I's 26th anniversary, and she's the one who really wants the scooter, I could kinda care less, myself. She never wants anything, but she really wants this scooter. LOL! So it'd be nice to see her have fun with it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yeah, I need to get some pics. I don't even know the make/ model, but it isn't like a Yamaha, etc. All I know right now is, it's red. I know it's 30cc's or below, because anything bigger requires a motorcycle license, and my dad was avoiding that. He just wanted to go for a spin around the backstreets of his neighborhood, get some coffee in the morning, maybe a sub for lunch. I think we'll be picking it up either later tonight, or some time tomorrow. Tomorrow's my wife and I's 26th anniversary, and she's the one who really wants the scooter, I could kinda care less, myself. She never wants anything, but she really wants this scooter. LOL! So it'd be nice to see her have fun with it.
Get her one of these or she's gonna get fat!

Nope, cant get the picture to load, google amish scooter...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
She's one of those types where nothing can make her fat. LOL! We're both pretty thin
And get a nazi helmet if youre gonna ride one of these! Better safe than sorry...
7IROLN8.jpg

mcblink

Reaction score
Happy anniversary, Vin.