Questions about amps & speakers & multi-effectors

qwvb1111

Reaction score
Greetings everyone. This will be a long story since I want to talk about it in detail, hope you guys are willing to read all of these.

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
I am using

① Ibanez Iron Label 2018 RGIX6FDLB
latest

② Mooer GE200 multi-effector
mooer-ge200.jpg

③ Audio Technica ATH-M20x monitor headphone
71wQVZhuQ3L._AC_SX425_.jpg

④ Ernie Ball 10' Braided Straight / Angle Instrument Cable
P06049.png

to practice guitar, I never play guitar outside bedroom, and I don't play clean, crunch, blues etc. Maybe only lead and metal.

My ideal tones are these, they are arranged soundtrack from one Japanese game, and I won't be able to know what gear the people who plays it used:

① clyp.it/bz311mmo?token=c5f9d1c4a0226ffe768f29d7339745ff
② clyp.it/04e0fjwv?token=4ae85895cf4c91cbfe73ee482b2b3a5a

My very goal is to replicate these tones as close as possible.

The first thing is, GE200 and Ibanez Iron Label 2018 can't get me close to my ideal tone.
The second thing is, I practice 2 hours each time and wearing headphone makes fatigue quite serious.

So I decided to buy a speaker-like stuff. At first I planned to buy one Yamaha HS5 monitor speaker, but according to local music shop staffs, monitor speaker is not necessary if I am not recording music, and rarely someone use one monitor speaker.

That is why from their suggestion, a Marshall DSL5CR (2018 version) or a Blackstar HT-5R Mk-II would be better because they are full-tube amps and they can give a better sound with multi-effectors other than digital amps like the Boss Katanas.

Here comes my questions, what do you guys think I need in order to replicate or getting close to my ideal tone? New guitar? New multi-effector? New cables? Others? Or all of those?
And if new amp or monitor speaker is the choice, which tube amp do you recommend? Or maybe still two HS5s?

Since I don't have the opportunity to play in a studio, trying different amps and effectors and guitars, I want to hear you guys' suggestions. Thanks in advance.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
A problem I can see with the Mooer is you can't use it in the 4 Cable Method
So it can only be before or after a preamp.
TBE's sound wrong before a high gain preamp, and OD's sound wrong after a preamp.

For the Mooer to sound best you'd have go direct into the FX Return.
But that bypasses the tube preamp you just forked out for.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ideal tones are these, they are arranged soundtrack from one Japanese game, and I won't be able to know what gear the people who plays it used:

① clyp.it/bz311mmo?token=c5f9d1c4a0226ffe768f29d7339745ff
② clyp.it/04e0fjwv?token=4ae85895cf4c91cbfe73ee482b2b3a5a

My very goal is to replicate these tones as close as possible.

The first thing is, GE200 and Ibanez Iron Label 2018 can't get me close to my ideal tone.
The second thing is, I practice 2 hours each time and wearing headphone makes fatigue quite serious.

So I decided to buy a speaker-like stuff. At first I planned to buy one Yamaha HS5 monitor speaker, but according to local music shop staffs, monitor speaker is not necessary if I am not recording music, and rarely someone use one monitor speaker.

That is why from their suggestion, a Marshall DSL5CR (2018 version) or a Blackstar HT-5R Mk-II would be better because they are full-tube amps and they can give a better sound with multi-effectors other than digital amps like the Boss Katanas.

Here comes my questions, what do you guys think I need in order to replicate or getting close to my ideal tone? New guitar? New multi-effector? New cables? Others? Or all of those?
And if new amp or monitor speaker is the choice, which tube amp do you recommend? Or maybe still two HS5s?
I didn't hear anything special in those clips.
A little gain, reverb and chorus.
The rest is in the playing technique.
A DSL5CR is not going to give you magic tube tone that your not getting with your digital rig.
The guitar you have should be fine and the cable has nothing to do with it.
No one can give you a "set this knob at that" setting, you have to find the combination yourself.
Perhaps along the way, you will find a tone of your own that's even better.
and, :welcome:

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
I would almost guarantee those clips were recorded with a modeller via monitors.

The main things I hear in your clips are compression, gain and reverb.
Here's someone getting something pretty close to your clips:

I think its worthwhile having something you can play back without headphones, a real amp is nice but definitely not necessary.

qwvb1111

Reaction score
I didn't hear anything special in those clips.
A little gain, reverb and chorus.
The rest is in the playing technique.
A DSL5CR is not going to give you magic tube tone that your not getting with your digital rig.
The guitar you have should be fine and the cable has nothing to do with it.
No one can give you a "set this knob at that" setting, you have to find the combination yourself.
Perhaps along the way, you will find a tone of your own that's even better.
and, :welcome:
If this is the case, then will you suggest a tube amp, a digital amp or monitor speakers? Because as I said before, GE200 and Ibanez Iron Label 2018 can't get me close to the tone no matter how well I played... And I don't know what I should buy next in order to get close to it...

qwvb1111

Reaction score
I would almost guarantee those clips were recorded with a modeller via monitors.

The main things I hear in your clips are compression, gain and reverb.
Here's someone getting something pretty close to your clips:

I think its worthwhile having something you can play back without headphones, a real amp is nice but definitely not necessary.

Thanks for the suggestion, GE200 and Ibanez Iron Label 2018 can't get me close to the tone, the next thing I am considering is amp, if this is not necessary, then what should I get next?

qwvb1111

Reaction score
As the whole signal chain is digital anyhow, try a cheap solid state practice amp with an FX Loop.
Then you can connect straight to the Return and just use the power amp section.
If that is the case, then maybe a BOSS KATANA-100 MkII will help me to achieve my tone? But what is the difference between FX Loop Return in digital amp and that in tube amp? I haven't tried many things yet so I don't know...

gregr

Reaction score
Get the studio monitor. That and your Mooer will cover a lot of ground, more than a Katana.

Ignore the tube amp BS and compared to everything else the contribution of the guitar cable is negligible at best.

Now if you’re having trouble operating the Mooer because you’re impatient or the learning curve is too steep then get an amp, but don’t buy a tube one just because it has tubes in it, and certainly don’t let someone try to sell you on one because it has tubes in it.

It also needs to be pointed out that a Blackstar HT is not all tube.

qwvb1111

Reaction score
Get the studio monitor. That and your Mooer will cover a lot of ground, more than a Katana.

Ignore the tube amp BS and compared to everything else the contribution of the guitar cable is negligible at best.

Now if you’re having trouble operating the Mooer because you’re impatient or the learning curve is too steep then get an amp, but don’t buy a tube one just because it has tubes in it, and certainly don’t let someone try to sell you on one because it has tubes in it.

It also needs to be pointed out that a Blackstar HT is not all tube.
Is there any sound difference between a monitor headphone, for example the Audio Technica one I have, compare to monitor speakers? Because if monitor speakers is the option then I need to buy 2 of them and 2 extra TRS cables for it, it costs extra money so I need to consider it well.

gregr

Reaction score
You don’t need to buy two monitors for stereo any more than you would need to buy two mono guitar amps for stereo.

Headphones vs speakers is a debate for the ages. They will never sound the same.

You can get an guitar amp with a loop and plug the Mooer into the return with the cab simulation disabled. Now you’re tethered to the sound of the speaker and the amp enclosure.

There is no right answer, of course.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, GE200 and Ibanez Iron Label 2018 can't get me close to the tone

They will. That tone is all high gain, humbuckers and reverb. It takes practice to both dial in a tone and make a guitar sing. I'd even say it's easier to get that shiny studio recorded tone out of a modeller like the ge200 with all its built in effects and processing than a raw tube amp in the room.

Is there any sound difference between a monitor headphone, for example the Audio Technica one I have, compare to monitor speakers?

To me guitar sounds better flowing out into the room than directly into my ear holes. Also lets you use feedback.

Because if monitor speakers is the option then I need to buy 2 of them and 2 extra TRS cables for it, it costs extra money so I need to consider it well.

Most of the time people play guitar as a mono instrument so you only need one speaker.
The suggestion of a cheap solid state guitar amp with a loop is a good one too if you're on a tight budget (maybe you have a decent used market where you live?).

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
When you listen to your "ideal" tone do you use the same headphones? The final speaker listening arrangement has the most to do with what you hear right off the bat.
If so then you should be able to get reasonably close with the Mooer. Don't buy a tube amp to attempt to get computer generated tones.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this guy ( :welcome: by the way!) came to the MF... and was told not to buy a tube amp... :rofl:
Well, I'd say buy a tube amp & buy a Marshall tube amp, but not to try to emulate anything or anybody.
The DSL5CR tones are nothing like what the OP is seeking, and headphones are no way to use a Marshall.
I hope the OP can find find the tones he wants, and I hope he buys a Marshal - unrelated topics.

gregr

Reaction score
^^^^ with a bullet

What I will say about modelers like the Mooer is this: they give you a chance to dial in a lot of different tones. A lot. There is no way it can’t get that ‘80s processed tone (reminds me of Neal Schon’s smooth jazz stuff for some reason). So after to try a bunch of things you’ll get a good idea about what things you like and what you don’t. Then when you decide to pull the trigger on real gear you’ll have a good idea what to buy…likely a Marshall and a Tube Screamer (oops, I mean a Boss SD-1).

Latest posts