Question regarding unusual placement of Jose MV

jensbrix

Reaction score
I've been looking into rebuilding a 5w amp I have lying around. It will use one 12AX7 in the preamp, and I will set both up as plate driven gainstages.

Normally the Jose MV is placed after a cathode follower, and my knowledge on clipping diodes is somewhat limited.

Will there be any significant differences between a Jose MV driven from the plate instead of the cathode follower? Will it be neccesary to insert a voltage divider to prevent the sound from being way to overclipped?

chee16

Reaction score
What amp is it? Seeing a schematic will help a lot.

Have you looked at the valve junior mods? I'm guessing the amp isn't the same but there might be some things to learn from those.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I've been looking into rebuilding a 5w amp I have lying around. It will use one 12AX7 in the preamp, and I will set both up as plate driven gainstages.

Normally the Jose MV is placed after a cathode follower, and my knowledge on clipping diodes is somewhat limited.

Will there be any significant differences between a Jose MV driven from the plate instead of the cathode follower? Will it be neccesary to insert a voltage divider to prevent the sound from being way to overclipped?

The plate follower has much higher signal level.
You would probably need a voltage divider if you are driving the clipping diodes.
It's hard to say if a plate follower would still sound good....it would be an experiment.

Latest posts