Question about using the stock quick connector wires with non stock speakers...

Back Stabbath

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a lockdown situation now, so I can't go out and get any soldering gear or wires, nor can I take my cab to any service guys to hook the wiring up for me. I could order the things I need online, but the time and expense and postage is far from ideal.

I'm in the middle of recording and really I just need practical advice for using the stock wires and connectors safely and reliably in the short term while I hold out for being allowed to take a trip to the electronic store or amp tech.

Speakers are Scumback M75s and the wire tabs do not have the prongs designed to secure the quick connectors. I have no questions about the wiring, I've actually wired and hooked it up fine and it sounds great. I gave the quick connectors a squeeze with pliers until they were tough to get ON the tabs and gently/firmly wiggled them on to the tabs. Everything works and is probably fine but I want to know what people think about going back in and slapping a sliver of duct tape around each connection point for extra security while I get some recordings done and wait for lockdown to be lifted. Would anyone be concerned about light adhesive on the connector tabs or light/moderate heat on the duct tape?

Regarding any incoming advice telling me that I should just solder the wires to the speakers... thanks in advance, I'll keep that in mind. :jam:

Back Stabbath

Reaction score
Update; emailed Jim from Scumback and he got back to me really quickly with exactly the answer I needed. So for anyone else who may be wondering the same thing I was... duct tape is not only a bad idea but unnecessary. The heat generated from the current and speakers could be enough to melt the adhesive, so obviously you don't want that. He also told me that what I have already done is exactly what he would have done in this situation and what he has done before in demo cabs.

So if you're ever in a bind and need to use stock wire with non stock speakers, just get some pliers and gently bend the flanges on the connectors until it's snug enough that you feel some resistance when sliding them on to the tabs and you're good to go for the short haul.

Obviously, the aim should always be to switch to soldered connection ASAP.

FYI, anyone who hasn't checked out Scumback speakers... they sound amazing and Jim IS amazing. If you haven't already, then you've got to give them a look in. You don't often find a product this good or deal with entrepreneurs who are as dedicated and helpful.

pedecamp

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a lockdown situation now, so I can't go out and get any soldering gear or wires, nor can I take my cab to any service guys to hook the wiring up for me. I could order the things I need online, but the time and expense and postage is far from ideal.

I'm in the middle of recording and really I just need practical advice for using the stock wires and connectors safely and reliably in the short term while I hold out for being allowed to take a trip to the electronic store or amp tech.

Speakers are Scumback M75s and the wire tabs do not have the prongs designed to secure the quick connectors. I have no questions about the wiring, I've actually wired and hooked it up fine and it sounds great. I gave the quick connectors a squeeze with pliers until they were tough to get ON the tabs and gently/firmly wiggled them on to the tabs. Everything works and is probably fine but I want to know what people think about going back in and slapping a sliver of duct tape around each connection point for extra security while I get some recordings done and wait for lockdown to be lifted. Would anyone be concerned about light adhesive on the connector tabs or light/moderate heat on the duct tape?

Regarding any incoming advice telling me that I should just solder the wires to the speakers... thanks in advance, I'll keep that in mind. :jam:
I dont think you need anything but for piece of mind go with blue painters tape instead. :yesway:

Latest posts