Question about cab wiring

renips

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Marshall mini stack with 10’s. I am going to convert it to 12” speakers. I am going to use the both cabinets with my Haze 40.
The speaker jacks are labeled 16 ohm and 8 ohm. Two different jacks. Is it appropriate to run both cabinets , one through the 16 ohm and one through the 8 ohm?
Would the speakers need to be the matching ohm per the extension output?
Or should I jump the the 2nd cab off the first? If so do I need a certain jack to do that? See attachment. Thanks

Attachments

• 034655D0-BAD3-42DB-865D-643805FCD823.jpeg
    034655D0-BAD3-42DB-865D-643805FCD823.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 7

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a Marshall mini stack with 10’s. I am going to convert it to 12” speakers. I am going to use the both cabinets with my Haze 40.
The speaker jacks are labeled 16 ohm and 8 ohm. Two different jacks. Is it appropriate to run both cabinets , one through the 16 ohm and one through the 8 ohm?
Would the speakers need to be the matching ohm per the extension output?
Or should I jump the the 2nd cab off the first? If so do I need a certain jack to do that? See attachment. Thanks
NO.
Only one jack should be used on your combo conversion.
Either the 16 ohm or 8 ohm tap would be a full load on the OT.
You can however, run as many speakers as you want to either one of the jacks.
If you use, or make, a cab merger box, you could run two 16 ohm cabs in parallel to the 8 ohm jack.
And vise versa, two 8 ohm cabs in series to the 16 ohm jack.
Cabs could be 1x, 2x or 4x, just have all your cab ohms add up to the jack load.

Edit:
YES, you can add a parallel or series jack to one of the micro cabs.
I did that to run a DSL1HR with micro stack cabs to the one speaker output jack on the amp.

Last edited:

renips

Reaction score
NO.
Only one jack should be used on your combo conversion.
Either the 16 ohm or 8 ohm tap would be a full load on the OT.
You can however, run as many speakers as you want to either one of the jacks.
If you use, or make, a cab merger box, you could run two 16 ohm cabs in parallel to the 8 ohm jack.
And vise versa, two 8 ohm cabs in series to the 16 ohm jack.
Cabs could be 1x, 2x or 4x, just have all your cab ohms add up to the jack load.

Edit:
YES, you can add a parallel or series jack to one of the micro cabs.
I did that to run a DSL1HR with micro stack cabs to the one speaker output jack on the amp.
Thanks Fitz. That sounds great. Could you recommend the type of jack you used that would be appropriate and where I can find one? Is there an advantage to parallel or series? I would like to use 16 ohm speakers

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fitz. That sounds great. Could you recommend the type of jack you used that would be appropriate and where I can find one? Is there an advantage to parallel or series? I would like to use 16 ohm speakers
Two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs with a parallel jack to the 8 ohm tap is the easiest solution.
Any TS jack would work if you've got one laying around.
Tip to tip, sleave to sleave, on the new jack to the existing jack on either cab.
Plug the 1 jack cab into the 2 jack cab, and the other jack goes to the amp.
You can also buy a cab merger box, or make one of these and use it on any amp.

What ever way you choose to go, put a meter on the cable to the amp to check your total ohms before you plug in and fire up the amp.

renips

Reaction score
Two 16 ohm 1x12 cabs with a parallel jack to the 8 ohm tap is the easiest solution.
Any TS jack would work if you've got one laying around.
Tip to tip, sleave to sleave, on the new jack to the existing jack on either cab.
Plug the 1 jack cab into the 2 jack cab, and the other jack goes to the amp.
You can also buy a cab merger box, or make one of these and use it on any amp.

What ever way you choose to go, put a meter on the cable to the amp to check your total ohms before you plug in and fire up the amp.
Thanks Fitz. The Palmer box looks like a solution for me. Your plastic box version is cool and could be a project for me at some point. So running from 8 ohm external to the parallel of Palmer is correct?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fitz. The Palmer box looks like a solution for me. Your plastic box version is cool and could be a project for me at some point. So running from 8 ohm external to the parallel of Palmer is correct?
Yes.
2x16 ohm parallel is 8 ohm.
And if you happen to find a great deal on some 8 ohm speakers, you could use the series jacks to the 16 ohm tap.
Most amp heads have the 8 ohm tap with 2 jacks - 1x8 or 2x16 (internal parallel).
Adding another jack to your amp chassis is another option.
Combos tend to assume you're just going to use the one speaker, or go out to an external.
The Palmer box is a quick and easy solution, does both parallel and series, and you can use it on any amp.