Purple Hendrix 100W 1959SLP oversize stack

Magtr1

Reaction score
I recently bought this stack from a local (SW Florida) Craigslist ad. Marshall made just 200 of these matching number stacks in 1994, 100 each for Europe and the USA. It's a stock 1959 reissue plexi head, the only differences from the originals are a detachable three prong/grounded cord, and the use of printed circuit boards instead of point to point, tag board wiring. The seller was the original owner, and he never gigged with it, and in fact told me he'd only played through it 4 times(!) in 28 years, and never cranked. The tubes sound new, and the speakers (all 25W greenbacks) aren't even broken in. My main gigging anp for 30+ years was a red 1970 50W 1987X head, and this sounds very close, but of course louder and with more clean headroom. The oversize (6" taller) bottom cab has a deeper bass response and "thump", besides making the whole thing 7 feet tall when stacked. Came with wheels attached which is nice cause they're heavy!
My house is pretty well soundproofed but I'm sure my neighbors can hear this when I crank it up. I'm looking for the right speaker attenuater/power soak that won't kill the tone, if anyone has advice on what works for you in taming a 100W plexi I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• 73CA3BAF-7304-4349-A133-01B6E026922D.jpeg
    73CA3BAF-7304-4349-A133-01B6E026922D.jpeg
    832.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 7B217DEC-754A-45B1-AA00-11436E45DCAD.jpeg
    7B217DEC-754A-45B1-AA00-11436E45DCAD.jpeg
    685 KB · Views: 40

hpharley90

Reaction score
Is the bottom cab just taller?
Does it have same front to back and left to right dimensions as top cab minus angle?
I like it. 7 feet...Are speakers in B cab in a higher position?
Thanks.
never saw one of those.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a beast—I can play loud but that’s too much amp for me. Attenuation would be a must I Imagine—but do you want to reamp that? So a Power Brake or Hotplate?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I think I know who had that amp. And he had it displayed for sale at both of the last two Orlando Guitar Shows. He also had a substantial collection of other Marshalls and other amps including an all white half stack with matching white Power Brake.

As I gather, he's having some health problems that involve an oncologist.

The Power Brake is a pretty good choice. It does have some tonal implications, particularly when you're using a lot of attenuation, but you can still get a good tone and have it be neighbor friendly.

I agree, they're beasts. But I have two Superlead full stacks in my bedroom. (Four heads, four cabinets)

junk notes

Reaction score
Is the bottom cab just taller?
Does it have same front to back and left to right dimensions as top cab minus angle?
I like it. 7 feet...Are speakers in B cab in a higher position?
Thanks.
never saw one of those.

yes, by about six inches (152.4mm).

tc.jpg

This one has the G12C's. :cool:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Congrats!

I think those are the first "Hendrix" stacks Marshall released in the early 90s? Being 1959s and not the JTM45/100, still amazing!

I want one of those tall bottom cabs SO BAD. I rarely ever see them for sale and when I do they are fairly pricey.

Magtr1

Reaction score
Congrats!

I think those are the first "Hendrix" stacks Marshall released in the early 90s? Being 1959s and not the JTM45/100, still amazing!

I want one of those tall bottom cabs SO BAD. I rarely ever see them for sale and when I do they are fairly pricey.
Yes it's one of the 100 Hendrix 1994 super lead plexi reissues that were sold in the states. Barney the dinosaur was a popular kids show at the time so some nicknamed this tall purple rig the "Barney" 😁. It sounds gorgeous, with both cabs on the sound just enguls you, even played softly. Tons of clean headroom with that plexi bright channel sparkle.

Magtr1

Reaction score
I think I know who had that amp. And he had it displayed for sale at both of the last two Orlando Guitar Shows. He also had a substantial collection of other Marshalls and other amps including an all white half stack with matching white Power Brake.

As I gather, he's having some health problems that involve an oncologist.

The Power Brake is a pretty good choice. It does have some tonal implications, particularly when you're using a lot of attenuation, but you can still get a good tone and have it be neighbor friendly.

I agree, they're beasts. But I have two Superlead full stacks in my bedroom. (Four heads, four cabinets)
You're thinking of someone else, this guy is retired career army, and had one other little Marshall combo amp that he played with his cover band in Virginia (he's a snowbird).
And this guy seemed quite healthy and happy. Your man from Orlando sounds like quite the local Marshall maven, sorry to hear he's not feeling well.
Wow your home setup sounds awesome haha. There really is nothing like a 100W Marshall through 8 speakers !
I'll check out the power brake, right now the one that looks best to me is the Rivera rockcrusher, but they're expensive. They also come in purple which would look cool sitting on a purple stack.

black knight

Reaction score
Nice amp! I recommend a Fryette Power Station. As good as any of the options out there for mitigating the sheer volume of such a beast, but with so many more "options." Throw a JHS LBAB in the loop of the PS and things start to get interesting. Congrats and enjoy!

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice amp! I recommend a Fryette Power Station. As good as any of the options out there for mitigating the sheer volume of such a beast, but with so many more "options." Throw a JHS LBAB in the loop of the PS and things start to get interesting. Congrats and enjoy!
I dunno--if you are going to play THAT amp I think you need to play that amp. Running it through the PS defeats the purpose IMO. And I love my TAE.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Very nice what a find, congrats! I have tried far too many attenuators over the years to list and I gave up on them. A couple years ago I came upon a great deal on an SPL Reducer. Works great with very little (if any when you consider the speaker is not working as hard and there is less air being moved) tonal suck. Here is the link and read the reviews.

Magtr1

Reaction score
That’s a beast—I can play loud but that’s too much amp for me. Attenuation would be a must I Imagine—but do you want to reamp that? So a Power Brake or Hotplate?
I just got a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording attenuator, and yes it makes the amp much more usable. With both cabs, the volume was just insane without an attenuator.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording attenuator, and yes it makes the amp much more usable. With both cabs, the volume was just insane without an attenuator.
There ya go—keep that signal as pure as you can. I bet it sounds monstrous

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I can attest to how loud they are. People who've never played a 100 watt Marshall full stack, dimed, just don't KNOW. I've run two full stacks, dimed, in stereo, in my bedroom, wearing good hearing protection. It's a physical encounter.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

I think those are the first "Hendrix" stacks Marshall released in the early 90s? Being 1959s and not the JTM45/100, still amazing!…………
Yup, I’ve seen him on stage a couple of times with that extra lg bottom cab. What’s the model number?

@junk notes, you have one of these cabs too?

purpleplexi

Reaction score
You do wonder if Jimi were still with us what state his hearing would be in. I remember when they released those - the guy doing the demo had it dimed and he was showing how the guitar volume control changed the tone. It was insane flat out and he was standing right on front of it.....

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
You do wonder if Jimi were still with us what state his hearing would be in. I remember when they released those - the guy doing the demo had it dimed and he was showing how the guitar volume control changed the tone. It was insane flat out and he was standing right on front of it.....
I can only imagine he'd be nearly deaf but then again there were a lot of guys in the 60s/70s/80s that played insanely loud... I'm curious to know how many suffered major hearing damage.

Isn't Pete Townsend nearly deaf?

Latest posts