Purple cabinets

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by StingRay85, Aug 20, 2020.

1. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

He signed many cabs. But indeed I got confused because of the serial number tags. Also the castors are a good point.

1970 is the year that Hendrix died. The cabs date from that year according to SN, but the speakers are '71. Surely this is coincidental. But any reason why the Hendrix tribute cabs are purple?

2. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful cabs. Great score, congratulations.

StingRay85 likes this.
  3. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Purple Haze?

4. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

:headbanger: “All in my brain”

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

The tone on that song was my first ever lesson with tone frustration. I had briefly been taking guitar lessons and just started listening to Hendrix. I asked my guitar teacher how to get that Purple Haze sound. He said it's just a fuzz, and started whipping out pedals, never getting close to it. I never got it either.

Sustainium likes this.
  6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh, man, those are too cool!!

Congrats! :thumb:

7. StingRay85

If only I could clean up the cloth, that would make them simply perfect.

8. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

how about new grill cloth?

9. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER Member

D48E3BCE-C86F-41F1-AB78-FCB5AC99FA24.jpeg
    Gato the sprayer??

10. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Pull out a lower speaker and have a look, I have just looked at mine as there is one spot at lower right, but from the inside it's hardly visible, possibly from the lack of sunlight accelerating the pee reaction on the cloth...... I then thought perhaps the whole grill cloth can be removed and refitted in reverse, looking at mine internally there is no colour variation in places like the badge ply rectangle etc, so it may just work, I'm in no hurry though.

The other option would be coffee in a mist spray bottle and a careful approach, or even an airbrush, if this doesn't work the whole thing can be cleaned with carpet cleaner and the coffee will blend in and possibly make it less obvious.
    Remember if you use carpet cleaner ( which is superb stuff for cleaning ) it contains a protector and your coffee won't adhere as well if applied after.

11. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

The problem is not that there is something on the material that needs cleaning off, it's that the material has been bleached by the cat pee. So you wont get that colour back into the material by cleaning it in my opinion.

I would leave it be personally. Unless it looks really horrible in person or something. Keep it as original as possible.

You could try flipping the grill but doesn't always turn out good. It can look obvious it has been flipped. You sometimes get a ghost image of the woodwork beneath that was on the other side.

If you're selling, in my experience people would rather buy them in original condition and then do any restorations themselves, rather than buy them already messed with.

I wouldn't replace an original grill with modern as they do sound different. The vintage material is denser. Brown two tone is correct for a purple cab, and I don't think you can buy that stuff anyway.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  12. StingRay85

Its indeed two tone. Its not really bleach but acid attack, but the result looks similar. The only option would be to attack it all, but I probably won't do it