Purple cabinets

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by StingRay85, Aug 20, 2020.

1. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Check this out (now mine)

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 11.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  2. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Nice stack, but who's is that first signature? John Lord?

StingRay85 likes this.
  3. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

Still amazes me after all this time that an A and B cab can stay together, purple too... better than most marriages!!!
    Love the way the labels have curled up and dropped off. Great to see the revvos there too.

Surely this guys got the purple amp as well

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    StingRay85 likes this.
  4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

thats cause they were made to me together and work together.

StingRay85 likes this.
  5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

That is COOL. A true pair of unmolested purple survivors! That can't be common!

6. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Nice cabs. A shame about the cat pee stains on the grill though. I don't like seeing that. Invest in covers for your cabs if you have pets...

7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Nice to have the guvnors signature in one too. Not rare but still nice.

8. StingRay85

They're mine now ;-)

The amp went to service for bad tubes. The owner died and the family could never find the amp back.

soundboy57 likes this.
  9. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Awesome. Love purple.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  10. BygoneTones

That is a shame. I bet the amp was near mint.

11. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Very nice score. Ultra rare in the condition and completeness. Wow.

12. StingRay85

Never thought I would be able to make my Acoustic amps look small but here you go

image-23-08-2020_22-22-06-87.jpg

13. StingRay85

Almost two months since I got this cabs, and finally decided to open them up to see what's going on on the inside. I noticed a couple of things:

- cab 1960B has a particle board back. That's odd. Also, it's serial number is smaller than the 1960A, but the speakers are all early 1970 (same date code). This cab is signed by Jim Marshall. All stickers came loose on this one.
    - cab 1960A has a ply back. The speakers date from 2x GC and 2x MC. 1 sticker came lose and is not inside the cab anymore, I think the previous owner took it away thinking it's something for the bin.

Wiring and soldering is all original. Besides the staining on the grill cloth, they are in museum/collectors condition. Time to start thinking on a plan to move them, they're something I just can't hold on to. Would be nice for them to end up with a 1970 purple head.

Is there a good way to clean the grill cloth? In any case I will remove the speakers so I can test them outside of the cab, of course without touching the original soldering.

14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'd go to the area where the amp disappeared and talk to EVERY music store in the area and try to find every amp tech and electronics repairman that anybody has ever heard of in the area and track down that amp! That's what I'd do.

You can test the speakers well enough by just hooking up your ohmmeter to a speaker cable and reading the cabinet resistance. Then using alligator clips, short one speaker at a time and they should all change the reading by about the same amount each. And then, if they're all about the same, just play test them.

15. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Sweet cabs!

How do they sound?

I know nothing about Acoustic amps. I saw a couple of solid state guitar amps up for sale here a couple of times, but I didn't go to check them out. I usually try to when something funky comes up that I haven't heard before.

16. BygoneTones

The particle board backs did come in around early 71. So not too unusual if they have BD date codes. What is "interesting" (if you're a nerd) is that it doesn't have the homa castors yet and the serial is kind of low for late 70 / early 71. Someone on the les paul forum reckons hes got one from late 1970 with particle board back.

Hard to pinpoint a date onto cabs because the speakers often had very long shelf lives, and the serials can be very far apart. There was a tall cab on UK ebay a few months back looked like it had been built in early 1970 but speakers only fitted in 71. Looked stock, and oddly had never had castors fitted at all.

I wouldn't touch the grill. It is only made from paper yarns. You will likely just damage it further if you try to clean it in my opinion.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  17. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

wow that is amazing ,original greenbacks? how did u buy it ?(the whole detailed story),and how much the 2 cabs cost?
    hope u can find the head ,does it creep anyone out owning a dead man's gear? rip

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=purple marshall cabinet

you know what u could do? just purple tolex a black head?

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I'm just recently learning about this particle board back business. Did Marshall do this for cost saving or something else?

19. StingRay85

Silly me I was off by one year dating the Celestions. So both are from '71

I think what convinced the son of the previous owner to sell the cabs was that it was his cat peeing on the cabs, and he couldn't leave them unused in his garage any longer.

Another approach I was thinking of is to use a diluted acidic spray (acetic acid for example) to get a uniform attack of the cloth. Cat pee should be pH6 thats hardly acid, I only wear gloves below 0.

20. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

why would jim marshall sign it? cuz he worked on them and signed them all ? or because it could have been a special job?