Pumpkins!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by crossroadsnyc, Oct 26, 2020.

1. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

You guys carving pumpkins this year?

I took my daughter to a really cool (and spooky!) old farm to get our pumpkins, and we've started cleaning them out and carving them in the past couple of days. It's been many years since I've done this, so we started out with a couple of easy / traditional faces ... one has triangle eyes and a triangle nose with a smiling mouth showing 2 top teeth and 1 bottom tooth, while the other one has circle eyes with an upside down triangle nose, and then a smiling mouth showing one tooth on the top and two teeth underneath. Neither are perfect, but the goofiness in each face is just so happy looking. I'll be carving out another face tomorrow, while I'm undecided on the 4th pumpkin (I know, I went overboard) ... I was going to just let her color it up with crayons and have some fun, but she keeps pointing to it wanting me to carve it up haha. I have to hand it to her ... she's too young to start the carving part, but she really had a blast helping to clean them out (and play w/pumpkin seeds lol).

We were looking for some inspiration online (for new faces) and came across some Disney characters that she's all excited about ... but that's WAY beyond what I can do right now! Man, there are some incredibly talented pumpkin carvers out there! The good thing? I've got 16 years (at least) to get better and better (I hope!).

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Way more than 16 years, for what you are sharing will be a lifetime of memories.
    Besides, crayons are better than band-aids. lol

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  3. crossroadsnyc

I think next year I'm going to have her go at it w/some paints ... would be cool to just set aside a pumpkin each year for her to just decorate the outside of. The one I picked for that this year is kind of the "Spookley" (above video reference) of the bunch ... he's not perfect ... a little odd shaped ... but he's the heartfelt star of the show. Yeah, this Disney Jr movie is one of the memories I'll have ... dancing around / secretly shedding a tear. Halloween is fun.

Clockworkmike and Geeze like this.
  4. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Damn, now I'm thinking pumpkin... pie!

Enjoy every moment @crossroadsnyc kids are awesome to share life with.

Russ

5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

haha yeah! and you guys can make and use homemade edible paint.. it's all over the place! lol She's a Pumpkin Picasso!
    yup, Halloween fun, most of all, take many pictures and press record!

Trelwheen and crossroadsnyc like this.
  6. crossroadsnyc

Had some tonight w/whipped cream :yum:

Trelwheen likes this.
  7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Swear to god i work with a woman who looks like this:

[​IMG]

8. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

“Ooof” SEXY:woot:

anitoli, junk notes and Trelwheen like this.
  9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

The wife and I are going to do pumpkins this week, I'm not all that into it but she loves it and used to do it with our kids and grandkids. They would make it into a party, and it was always fun just to watch them!

Since we moved out west we both miss the family, and since I dragged her out here and away from them I feel I oughta play..:D

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  10. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

The first is my daughter's: Lydia Deitz from Beetlejuice
    The second is my wife's Plague Doctor and my Regan Macneil from the Exorcist
    The third is my son's Baby Yoda
    The fourth is my Pazuzu from The Exoricst on the back of Regan
    And finally, i did the Pale Man from Pans Labyrinth and entered into the town's carving contest. Got first place
    20201024_164854_copy_780x1040.jpg 20201024_222459_copy_780x1040.jpg 20201024_165000_copy_780x1040.jpg 20201024_230547_copy_780x1040.jpg 20201023_184156_copy_780x1040.jpg Screenshot_20201025-193430_copy_780x1690.png

11. crossroadsnyc

Jesus Christ, that's incredible! Dude, I'm literally at a loss for words ... have you guys been recognized as one of the premier pumpkin carving families on earth? FWIW, I've always had a crush on Winona Ryder, so ... yeah, that's maybe my favorite :wub:

Clockworkmike likes this.
  12. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

Lol well thank you! We basically just use two stencil sites ( zombiepumpkins and stoneykins) , print it off on cheap printer paper, cut relief lines in the stencil so it shapes to a pumpkin and then either trace it out with an Xacto blade or a plastic pointer. To cut it, its just one of those cheap carving kits with a fine blade saw or Xacto.

Looks more intricate than it really is lol

13. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member