Pulsonic inbound

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Brek, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Brek

Brek Member

Thought I’d give the 55hz greenback a try in the new cabinet I am building for the origin 5. Will let you know what it’s like, I went for the 55hz as I liked the description of its sound in one of the vintage celestion information websites. I think most go for the 75hz is that right? They were all quite a bit more than what I paid for the 55hz though. Covering it with that ying/yang type patterned tolex that I think bogner use. Going to be one sexy looking combo. Lol. Leather dog bone strap. 22mm solid pine and Baltic ply for the front baffle. Using same grill cloth pattern as original combo.

Metroman, GIBSON67 and fitz288 like this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Please post build :photos:.
    Can't wait to see it.

3. Brek

Brek Member

Ok will do.The Mrs giving me grief at mo, sawdust related issues from the mahogany I have been working with recently. So you’ll have to bear with.

fitz288 likes this.
  4. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Which do you have coming in....G12M T1511 or G12H T1281? I've never tried a T1511 but the few T1281's I've had were amazing! Good job either way!

StingRay85 likes this.
  5. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

What this guy above me said ^^

Surely the 55Hz is more sought after if you're looking for the G12H. When it comes to G12M, it's a tough call. They're not cheap, that's for sure.

6. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

This tolex?

[​IMG]

7. Brek

Brek Member

I’ll have to check the tolex, not looked at it for a while, it’s stored so it won’t get damaged. think it is two swirls not three. But I could be wrong as the name sounds right.

The speaker? it’s a 16ohm g12m 1511, I shouldn’t be buying stuff like this though, as now next to **** about what I looking for it terms of is it right? Not knackered etc Etc. There were a few on eBay last week mine looked to have the least dirty/dusty paper. Didn’t notice if they were h or m ones though, again, something I was not aware of as a thing to consider. I do not need high power handling, I don’t for example, know if it’s the tone that makes one a better option than another.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  8. Brek

Brek Member

D12AB6D8-831A-4EB4-A26B-66278A5BD630.jpeg 4B3698DC-F103-43D8-BD3E-14FBDBDFADF9.jpeg its arrived looks generally better condition than ebay pics made out. but under one of the spoke there is this odd looks like dust, at first i thought it was mold, as it appeared raised off the surface. its only under one spine and makes be wonder if its paint debris?
    A0A16E93-B32F-4A01-A9C6-FF3441B089D2.jpeg

9. kuli

kuli Active Member

Dust?

10. StingRay85

That's mold. Probably the entire speakers was like that, but the seller cleaned selectively. Normally it does come off quite easily. Can you share some more pics, also from the front, you're sure it's a pulsonic? :)

ljs likes this.
  11. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

Really not sure what you've bought speaker wise... if you've bought an original old speaker then buying cheap can be a gamble with condition, most old speaker have issues.

12. Brek

Brek Member

CA856912-DAE1-4D45-B041-63948B66831D.jpeg 7900BFF5-1AEA-468B-9387-7E2E671C7DFB.jpeg
    not plugged in yet, tapped the cone, (clean sound like a drum skin) and pushed very gently on cone, no evidence of VC rub, the front of the cone is dusty, and looks pretty solid.
    but yeah will post some more tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    GIBSON67 likes this.
  13. Brek

Brek Member

Hey stingray, a couple of new pics, does everything look in order?

14. AndyD

AndyD Well-Known Member

Looks encouraging!

15. metromutt

metromutt Well-Known Member

The cone colour doesn't look too bad, blue/grey, the mould should gently dust off but don't worry about removing it completely. Looks like a T1511 16ohm 25 watter.
    Try Bygones vid for testing the cone. You do have to press the cone down a bit to emulate volume, press with the palm of your hand on one side then move round till you've done a full circle of the cone.

Brek likes this.
  16. StingRay85

It's a genuine pulsonic, that's for sure. Maybe the dust cap was lifted to remove particles from the voice coil gap, but just by looking at the color it indeed doesn't look so bad. So yeah looks promising. But how does it sound like?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  17. Brek

Brek Member

Thanks guys, not plugged it in, till I got the OK that it was legit what it said it was, otherwise it would have gone back, so will plug in tomorrow, yeah will leave the mold alone might try a gentle dust magnet type thingy and see if it gets the any loose of, although I suppose playing it would achieve same thing.

18. StingRay85

A small childrens paint brush would also do the trick

Brek likes this.
  19. Brek

Brek Member

I did a quick push test of speakers again today going all way round, last time just pushed one spot, about a third of the speaker has noise of voice coil rubbing, which is a disappointment. installed into cab to see how it sounded, and with the one watt Marshall clean sound was very interesting, i am no tone hound/Meister, so my comments might not be in language generally used, I found a certain area of the frequency response very appealing, ear candy material, seemed to respond very well, the attack of notes from my Tele and les Paul was really crisp sounding, they certainly have the edge for that over all my other speakers. The clean guitar sound at the level I play at didn’t appear to be any the worse for the voice coil rubbing. When playing overdriven there was some nasty intermodulation stuff going on in the high frequencies with powerchords, lead lines seemed clear of artefacts.

I get why they are sought after after a 1/2 hour with them, I suppose the word might be ‘responsive’ and a nice mid range. I liked them and definitely want one without issues. I am sending this one back as I also noticed what someone above mentioned, about the dust cap, there is new adhesive evident around the dust cap, so was this an attempt to fix the coil? Don’t know, but not going to faff about at any remedial attention.

20. Brek

Brek Member

Someone asked about the combo rehousing, so here are a few pics, actually changed mind about building the combo, as the whole point was to house the 12 in, which has gone back. I kept to same height width as origin 5 but made it deeper. The 12in speaker fits with about 5mm top and bottom, so I would have route out the top and bottom centre area of the baffle supports to accommodate.
    Pic 1: shows basic glued and screwed construction with marking for amp cutout.
    A87EA1C8-443E-4381-8818-66C7B3017B23.jpeg

Pic 2: Baffle cut for 10in and painted.
    2E5B9687-F9AE-4021-9C99-0AD09B831E90.jpeg

pic 3: Tolex glueing.

E7E5E907-D86B-4915-99FB-28852866E6DA.jpeg

fitz288 likes this.