Pulled the trigger on a SV20H

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
So as I've been intimately getting familiar with my SV20h and just now got around to spending some considerable time using the high input. This input loves fuzz pedals and sounds incredible, I sit in front of my 4x12 and get smothered and assaulted by a whirling electric force of Marshall sound... Amazing 👏

I'm really digging these Vtypes in a 4x12 set up but now I'm jonesing for some proper Greenbacks!... I've been considering Scumback's G12H 25w a lot now... Anyways I should let the Vtypes break in properly before spending more cash.

This amp is quite amazing the array of character, nuances, sounds, tones and textures for being so simple. I'm getting so many familiar tones and textures I've had ingrained in my mind from the plethora of music made with Marshalls.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
It certainly is amazing how well the amp responds to subtle little changes in guitar settings and playing techniques. To me, the is even more idicative of a truly great amp than what that amp can when simply balls out to the walls! Touch sensitivity and feel are where i's at, for me at least!
Glad Yer Havin' Fun,
Gene

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
It certainly is amazing how well the amp responds to subtle little changes in guitar settings and playing techniques. To me, the is even more idicative of a truly great amp than what that amp can when simply balls out to the walls! Touch sensitivity and feel are where i's at, for me at least!
Glad Yer Havin' Fun,
Gene
Thanks man!

Really impressive what Marshall was able to achieve in these little studio amps. They have successfully captured the spirit of the original amps. The amount of detail and character is on another level and I feel so many guitarist out there have no clue what their missing, shit I almost forgot what it was like. The last time I experienced an amp like this was when I owned a 2204 12+ years ago... Bout time.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Thanks man!

Really impressive what Marshall was able to achieve in these little studio amps. They have successfully captured the spirit of the original amps. The amount of detail and character is on another level and I feel so many guitarist out there have no clue what their missing, shit I almost forgot what it was like. The last time I experienced an amp like this was when I owned a 2204 12+ years ago... Bout time.

@Maggot Brain ,
Your comments, reviews and raves have ignited the GAS already in me! I just pulled the trigger on what appears to be the last sealed box SV20H from an American vendor. We'll see if it actually ships and if it is truly a "sealed box" unit!
Simply Gassin'
Gene

junk notes

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain ,
Your comments, reviews and raves have ignited the GAS already in me! I just pulled the trigger on what appears to be the last sealed box SV20H from an American vendor. We'll see if it actually ships and if it is truly a "sealed box" unit!
Simply Gassin'
Gene
Oh nice! good news! guessing it will be a long honeymoon! Cannot wait to hear your comments and hear your reactions to this head! It does its own thing and sounds great. The self-biasing thing is a getting used to, but a very nice circuit. All the control knobs seem to be a bit more sensitive and breaks up slightly different to the Plexis. yes, the Plexi guys would really get into this amp!
You will have a lot to say about this amp (circuit), no doubt.
sealed box, a keeper!:fingersx:

donwagar

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain ,
Simply Gassin'
Gene
Awesome. I hope you get it. I'm sure you have an attenuator on hand for it :)

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
@Maggot Brain ,
Simply Gassin'
Gene
Congrats man!!! Welcome to the party! Please share your experience once it arrives!

I apologize for igniting the GAS... but once it arrives!... your welcome! Haha

I can't get enough of this amp and I've lucked out that one neighbor moved out and the only other neighbor is gone nearly 5 days a week! I've been able to play loud and proud since it arrived.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've forgotten to touch on how well the SV20 takes pedals. My fuzz pedals have never sounded better both into clean and driven amp settings. My Lovepedal JTM pairs perfectly with the SV20 and sounds so authentic and amp like at low volumes. The Lovepedal is becoming my favorite pedal and is usually always on when I need to play at lower volumes. The vocality of my wahs are addictive and have such a 3D depth to them, I'm just consistently impressed by every aspect of the SV20. I think the ONLY drawback that can be said about the SV is that if you've ever owned or played a 1959 or even a 1987 the SV definitely sounds small. I personally love that it sounds smaller and it truly is the "mini plexi" I have always wanted and can't wait for the years to come bonding with this amp.

Did your neighbor move, and the other stay away 5 days a week, before or after you got the amp?
Lmao!!!

Before!

But ... I was playing my Bassbreaker45 and Origin20 daily not gonna lie 😆

usablefiber

Reaction score
You'll love it....enjoy. Not to be confused with quiet though, even in low power (5w) mode.
Yeah I learned that lesson when i tried to demo one at guitar center in low power mode…They defintely made it authentic plexi in how it seems to jump to 80% of its max volume between 1 and 2 lol.

I am jealous though I really want to get one. More so even for the portability than just the overall volume my 100 watt is such a chore to move around lol.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I noticed something this evening, some days ago I dropped a Bugle Boy 12AX7 in v3, I already had one in V1, anyways something sounded slightly off. I dropped the stock tube back in V3 and sounds and feels much better. The Bugle Boy in v3 was stiff, sterile and hifi sounding, not digging it. The BB still sounds better in V1 compared to the stock tube (jj?) Stock one has this dark compression and slight fizziness to it.

I'm curious what some other vintage 12ax7s sound like in this baby.

junk notes

Reaction score
:agreed:
if you've ever owned or played a 1959 or even a 1987 the SV definitely sounds small.
A 1987 is to a 1986 is to a 1992 is to a 1959. The SV, although sounds small does sound like the junior of the bunch, but it really is a slightly different circuit handling tubes differently and being a self biasing amp.
A resonance knob would be a nice mod to beef things up for the little guy ;-)