PSA John Hiatt selling gear

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
SRV was more authentic to me than Clapton.

your gonna have to splain that one. :cool:

db98c5f1e2fceaccd7a97c3047e32d7d.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Clapton plays it, SRV lived and felt it from the soul. I don't get that from EC. SRV was for real, Clapton was more corporate, especially later on.

EC just doesn't do it for me. At this stage of the game I don't ever see that changing for me.:shrug:

i got his 2 disk greatest hits as suggested by members here just to prove my point but give him a honest go.
its basicly his career highlights in order. it took that set to open my eyes on him. not out to change your opinion
mind you, just telling my experience and i HATED him bad too lol.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
i got his 2 disk greatest hits as suggested by members here just to prove my point but give him a honest go.
its basicly his career highlights in order. it took that set to open my eyes on him. not out to change your opinion
mind you, just telling my experience and i HATED him bad too lol.
I'm 48, I'll be 49 in September. Started on drums at 4, started guitar @ 14, made a permanent switch at 17. I've heard plenty of Clapton. Heard it al, or at least 99% of his stuff.

Still feel the same. Meh.

Now Jeff Beck? THAT guy? WOW!!!

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'm 48, I'll be 49 in September. Started on drums at 4, started guitar @ 14, made a permanent switch at 17. I've heard plenty of Clapton. Heard it al, or at least 99% of his stuff.

Still feel the same. Meh.

Now Jeff Beck? THAT guy? WOW!!!

oh Jeff, hey hes another thing altogether. another guy that realizes the tremolo is a totally different instrument
should you choose to use it that way. him and Ed mastered the damn thing as such.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
oh Jeff, hey hes another thing altogether. another guy that realizes the tremolo is a totally different instrument
should you choose to use it that way. him and Ed mastered the damn thing as such.
I'm a wiggle stick wanker because of Eddie & Jeff. And that is what is so astonishing about my Suhr - stays in tune through some serious abuse. Just as good as any of my FR equipped guitars.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'm a wiggle stick wanker because of Eddie & Jeff. And that is what is so astonishing about my Suhr - stays in tune through some serious abuse. Just as good as any of my FR equipped guitars.

was watching Pete with his red sig model last night.
man, that thing looked amazing.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Clapton was amazing and definitely has his place in music and guitar history. I personally LOVE his work up thru Cream but I think once Jimi came onto the scene Clapton lost his mojo and was never the same never recovered.

I've never really been impressed with anything Clapton's done post Cream, his feel and mojo was gone, while he was technically proficient his playing always sounded sterile to me.

Just had to get my 2 cents on the Clapton derail.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clapton plays it, SRV lived and felt it from the soul. I don't get that from EC. SRV was for real, Clapton was more corporate, especially later on.

EC just doesn't do it for me. At this stage of the game I don't ever see that changing for me.:shrug:
I get it but don’t forget Clapton was the OG. Hendrix idolized the man.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hendrix idolized Buddy Guy. Hendrix shattered EC's confidence.

You can't be the OG when you are playing Freddie & Albert King licks. :io:

Like I said I get it but those weren't all Albert and Freddie's either. Regardless Clapton put the music in front of a much wider audience, allowing for everyone to become more successful, from Freddie and Albert to BB and SRV. Can't be gangster without cheddar! Mount Rushmore of electric guitar without question.

Listen to Jimi's live recordings--he revered Clapton.

axe4me

Reaction score
[QUOTE="StrummerJoe, post: 2146102, member: 62716 Hendrix shattered EC's confidence.

:io:[/QUOTE]

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Hendrix idolized Buddy Guy. Hendrix shattered EC's confidence.

You can't be the OG when you are playing Freddie & Albert King licks. :io:

Yes, I'm surprised at how many Clapton fans don't really realize this. Listen to Clapton's fierceness, soulfulness and raw blues power on the likes of John Mayall's Beano album and Fresh Cream... I 100% believe Hendrix was VERY influenced by Clapton and you can hear it all over Are You Experienced? and Jimi's playing. Listen to Fresh Cream and then listen to AYE? Jimi was very influenced by Clapton imho... But look at the timeline, once Jimi showed up on the scene Clapton's playing definitely lost a sense of confidence and authority... He quickly went another direction in sound and playing after Jimi blew up, no longer were we hearing that tenacity and soul we got with Beano Clapton and Cream Clapton imho was the last blip of that legendary Clapton. I hear Clapton distancing himself further and further from that hot and wild cosmic blues.

I absolutely love early Clapton, Beano and Fresh Cream are in my opinion Clapton's best work and demonstrate exactly what he WAS capable of.

axe4me

Reaction score
When I heard "Fresh Cream" and "Disraeli Gears" back in the 60's, I felt there is another personality aside from George Harrison.

I then was given the urge/curiosity to check out other guitar players.

There was Jimi.

Latest posts