>

Product Delays/shortages, how does it affect your job?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by lespaul339, Sep 28, 2021.

1. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I don't want this to turn into a political thread at all, so please keep political opinions out of this. I want this to be an informative thread without it getting locked due to political B.S.

My question is more about the US and worldwide economy. How many people here are experiencing delays on getting product for your job? I deal in the water conditioning/plumbing wholesale industry and it's scary right now how long delays are, and the fact that you just cannot seem to get product at the moment. Not to mention we keep getting price increases and can't seem to get product. We've had 4 price increases since the first of the year.

We are literally months behind in product and can't get any answers from the manufacturers on when product will be available again. I hear all kinds of excuses from worker shortages, to trucking delays, to material shortages. I'm just wondering how many of you out there are experiencing the same thing and what you do for a job, where you're located, and how it's affecting different industries?

2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Since most everything in the US is made in China, and China is having trouble meeting current demands, the word is out as of yesterday to "consider doing all of your year-end holiday shopping now". There is nothing good in store for the US economy unless you enjoy inflation, product shortages, higher taxes and oppressive health care costs. These negatively impact every aspect of life.

Beyond that, the whole discussion is rooted in politics and nothing less.

3. lespaul339

Actually, it isn't. I'm talking about manufacturing delays, not politics. I'm asking how it's affecting peoples jobs. If it's a worldwide problem then US politics have nothing to do with it. My main point in this thread is figuring out what other industries are experiencing and if it's similar to what I'm experiencing in mine. It's quite possible to talk about product shortages and delays in whatever industry you're in without bringing politics into it.

And you didn't really address any of my questions. You didn't say what you do and how its affecting your job. You just spouted off your opinion and turned it into politics within the first response of my thread when it was literally the first thing I asked people not to do.

Biff Maloy likes this.
  4. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

We're behind at my job like everyone else but we are managing it well and getting supplies in and product out, got way behind from 1+ years worth of covid setbacks, just dealing with it as best we can. Seems like for every one decent new hire we have ten fall through or were never truly looking for a new job, that's honestly the biggest issue we have, adding more help. You see this in your day to day life too, from dining out to low supplies of certain items on shelves, etc...hell, right now I can't get my friggin' cars oil changed, tried to stop 3 times in the last week but keep hearing things like "sorry, I'm two mechanics down", or "we're swamped, come back tomorrow". It'll get better I'm sure but right now I guess everyone is feeling it.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    lespaul339 and DaDoc like this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Might as well lock this one now........lol.

Ray Baker, Trelwheen and tce63 like this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

When you say "spouted off", do you mean like a garden hose kinda thing?

[​IMG]

This is my way of making light of the fact that my response to your question went right over your head. ;)

7. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Actually it is..Unfortunately, politics and industry work together hand-in-hand.

I'm retired, but after having spent decades in various jobs ranging from construction to maintenance before retiring several months before the shit hit the fan, this is the way I see it from an "observer with a lot of former experience in the workforce"s POV.

The supply shortages are of course, mainly due to covid, but the pandemic has been politicized to the point of being laughable..Along with the predictable profiteering and inflation in the wake of the pandemic.

It's BOTH a worldwide and a national problem, and it's going to get worse before it gets better..The manufacturing industry's going to manipulate the situation to profit from it, and the politicos are going to try and use it to their advantage as well..Which, as usual, leaves us caught in the freakin' middle!

Anyway, as to your questions..ALL industry right now is experiencing shortages, along with ALL consumers, and that's going to be the "new normal" for quite a while, and it's looking like it will get worse before it gets better. Industries and businesses, (along with everyone else, for that matter) will have to try and adjust, and hopefully weather the storm out without going under, and of course some of them will..Perhaps some of these businesses should seriously consider re-structuring themselves in order to bring manufacturing back to their respective countries and communities.

That's really all one can say about it. Best of luck to you, I hope your business can pull through this mess..Hang In there!

IMO politics has everything to do with this situation, especially the events leading up to where we're finding ourselves right now, it was set in motion back in the 90's with NAFTA, and it's next to impossible to discuss it without bringing the dreaded "P" word into the dialogue.

I saw a news report this morning which was showing the fuel shortages in the U.K. due to a lack of drivers to deliver..Gas stations are drying up, there's fights at the pumps as people are going into panic mode. That's probably the next thing we'll have to deal with here in the states, and once there's no fuel, shortages are going to skyrocket. More businesses will go under, and there's going to be a lot of empty shelves at the supermarket.

A bleak picture, but that's the way 'tis.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  8. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Some.

I just use pretty regular computer equipment, but the days of order by 11:59 AM and your stuff arrives by end of day seem to be over.

Delivery times on everything are up and lots of products are out of stock entirely.

Lots of buying rando cables because normal brands are missing, bit of hoarding spares because you don't know how long it will last, etc.

lespaul339 likes this.
  9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I've been in aircraft modifications and scheduled maintenance for 35 years. As a maintenance tech for over 20 and now part of the support side for over 10. I plan workloads as far as manpower, facilities, insuring it's supportable and funding.

I know the point you're getting at but material support has always been a long pole in the tent as far as issues go. I can't tell much difference with what's going on now.

lespaul339 likes this.
  10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

guys, let's keep this focused to his question, about:

*your job
    *how you are affected

not the blame thereof...

Thanks! :wave:

Dmann and lespaul339 like this.
  11. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Not much, had a shipping container full of pvc pellets stuck offshore with quarantine issues like a year ago, a few people got a few unwanted days off ( casuals) and a few full timers were asked to take annual leave if they could afford it.
    Other than that full steam ahead. But I live in Perth, Western Australia so we have been very very lucky. I'm sure it will change, but it's why I have taken no annual leave this year, waiting for the inevitable.

lespaul339 likes this.
  12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

I'm used to ordering parts for a minimum of six months, more typically a year, or more. My Kurt Mueller cone order from July 8th is just getting shipped now, for example. Due to the quantities I order in, it's always forecasting sales, and preparing for it. Just part of the deal of being in business.

lespaul339 likes this.
  13. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

14. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

It’s also a side effect of people just not wanting to work. Places are paying more than ever and still lots just don’t want to go in. If these guys can’t find workers they can’t make product. Local Rubbermaid plant is having to resort to more automation / robots just to keep the machines running.

DaDoc, lespaul339 and jmp45 like this.
  15. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

One of my largest clients is spending big $ investing into robotics for the same reason. Things are changing and its not for the good.

Ray Baker, DaDoc and lespaul339 like this.
  16. lespaul339

Sorry, I was in a bad mood yesterday morning. May have taken it out on you a little.

Vinsanitizer and DaDoc like this.
  17. lespaul339

I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far. It's good to know that it's not affecting everyone everywhere yet. It's also good to know what industries are being affected at the moment. Hopefully, everyone here can just keep their head up and get through this. I really do hope things get back to some kind of normal soon. It's scary for us because in our 40+ years of being in business, this is the first time we've run into issues like this.

DaDoc likes this.
  18. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

This isn't about anyone's job, per se, but there was a thread recently about how there don't seem to be any JVM heads available on Guitar Center's website, so it makes me wonder if people are hanging on to what they have these days, due to supply shortages.

DaDoc likes this.
  19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I've noticed that with the early 70's Marshall heads as well. Used to be one could go on reverb or similar sites and there would be a nice selection, priced according to wear and tear..Right now the few I'm seeing for sale are usually far from original condition, and WAY overpriced..People seem to think Plexi's were still being made in 1975. Even stuff like the Plexi reissues are drying up it seems.
    By so many accounts nobody's working, so either the potential sellers are hanging on to their stuff or assuming nobody has any $$ to buy? It's strange, I would have thought post-covid would have created a bigger market at cheaper prices.

Oh well, I never claimed to be an economist anyhoo! :lol:

PowerTube44 likes this.
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

It could come to a situation in which people are going to want to go back to work only to discover they have been replaced by a robot!

lespaul339 and jmp45 like this.
  21. AtomicRob

AtomicRob Active Member

I work for a large software company and the chip shortage definitely has an impact across the board. I previously worked for many years in semiconductor manufacturing so I do understand in great detail why there are shortages, but it doesn't make me any less pissed off that the laptop I ordered months ago is "maybe" going to ship towards the end of October. So that's my current first-world problem...

lespaul339 and jmp45 like this.