Pretty sure my guitar is in a ravine somewhere in Alabama.

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Clifdawg, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Monday, I ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Special in TV yellow (the "Inspired by Gibson" one with P90 Pros, CTS pots, and chunky 50's-style neck profile) from Zzounds and have been eagerly awaiting its arrival. Shipped on Tuesday out of Olive Branch, MS by FedEx, expected arrival on Wednesday (I live near Bessemer, AL). Got delayed - no big deal, it happens this time of year - but oddly, it's been giving me an "update" every twelve hours (almost to the minute) that it's "in transit" in Bessemer, AL. Don't know why a package would be "in transit" for four days straight if it's only a ten-minute drive from my house...

... That is, until I saw this (from our local NBC station):

"The Blount County Sheriff's Office is investigating after hundreds of FedEx packages were found in a ravine Wednesday afternoon.

On the BCSO's Facebook page, Sheriff Mark Moon said a deputy at the location believes between 300 and 400 packages of assorted sizes were thrown into the ravine. Moon said an area manager for FedEx was on the way to the scene around 4:24 p.m. Wednesday."

It's not the fastest route directly from MS, but one of the major routes from Olive Branch comes right through Blount Springs and Hayden, AL (where the packages were found). Based on the timing of the event (probably Tuesday night), that's very likely the truck my guitar was on.

By the way, the Epiphones are already on backorder again after a measly day or two of being in-stock, so my chances for a replacement are out. :sad:

FedEx is garbage and I have no idea why any reputable company still uses them to ship products.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    ricksdisconnected and jmp45 like this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

those are very cool guitars. got one a few yrs ago, if its the same model.

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It looks like employee theft to me . A guitar with a story

Sapient likes this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Stupid kleptos don't even know how to steal the top-shelf stuff

5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

bro, they left that shit in the truck and drove off in it.

Adieu likes this.
  6. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

One hundred packages a day for four days. Sounds like some delivery guy just ripped off the company for four days straight before someone noticed.

Thieves are just so much of a drag.

7. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Damn , that sucks.

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

You never know your guitar might be one of the items he stole for himself and it can be revovered!

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Good luck.

Hopefully, you'll get your guitar soon.

When you get your guitar, you may want to change the stock strings to your favorites.

Those stock strings suck.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Clifdawg likes this.
  10. Clifdawg

Well, FedEx just updated to say it’s on a truck for delivery… This was supposed to be a “Do Not Open Until Christmas” box but once arrived I’m tearing into it and giving it a good inspection before putting it under the tree. I’m curious to see if it’s in one piece.

I actually had one about eleven or twelve years ago in college, traded it away for some Peavey knockoff tele at the time because I was still trying to figure out what I liked and didn’t like in guitars. I knew it was a stupid decision back then, even moreso now. If it’s half as good as the one I remember, it will be money very well spent.
    Lol! Might end up on Craigslist: “used GIBSON Epiphone LES PAUL good condition no low ballers cash only meet in a dark alley alone at night only”

Oh every guitar I buy gets the VIP spa treatment out of the box. New D’Addario XL 10’s, action adjustment, truss rod adjustment (if needed), intonation adjustment, fretboard oiling, and fret end sanding (if needed). I refuse to play those nasty stock strings on that ugly dry fretboard :lol:

11. Clifdawg

The saga continues… Package was loaded for delivery yesterday and “out for delivery.” Never arrived, went back to the local FedEx location. Status changed to “expected delivery Tuesday, 11/30,” but at no point today has the package been loaded onto a truck. They have not called me with any updates, despite my package being “expedited” with an open “investigation” on its whereabouts. And if it ever does arrive, it’s highly likely it’s been damaged or destroyed by being thrown off a bridge into a ravine… and who knows if FedEx would manage to even get the guitar shipped back to MS so I can get a refund?

I’m becoming more and more worried I’ve just flushed nearly 500 bones down the toilet. :sad::sad::sad:

At this point, I don’t care how great a deal or how rare anything is - if it’s being shipped by FedEx, I won’t order. That, or I’ll ask if I can pay for some other service to deliver instead. The raw incompetence and lack of transparency is incredible.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  12. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks! It can be a crap shoot with any delivery service. I've had bad luck with both UPS and FedEx in the past. But out of the two I personally think FedEx is the worst.

13. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

So close!