pre amp tube question

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by tone seaker, Jun 5, 2020.

1. tone seaker

tone seaker Well-Known Member

Where the Rock Rolls Hard and the Blues Rains Down
    What is the difference in sound from short plate to long plate 12AX7's I have some mullards that the plates are about 3/8" appart and some mullards that are more like 5/8" apart. are theses what is meant by short and long plates and whaat is the diff in sound thtks

MarshallDog and Michael Roe like this.
  2. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have tried both and I prefer the Long Plates. To me, they have a little bit more growl to them. Apparently, the LP can be more susceptible to microphonics but I haven't had that issue yet.

MarshallDog and tone seaker like this.
  3. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Short and long should really be called short and tall.

It's how tall the plates are, from top to bottom. Really short plates leave half (or more) of the height of the tube empty; really long ones run almost from top to bottom.

Because of leverage/mass/vibration, long plates are more likely to get loose and become microphonic when shaken inside a loud combo amp. Doesn't always happen, but a lot of people reserve long plates for heads where they aren't subjected to direct intense vibration.

MarshallDog and tone seaker like this.
  4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a few Mullard LPs and SPs all CP tubes. I seem to like the long LP's as they seem to sound a bit rich in tone compared to the SP Mullards but thats me. I do use the Mullard LPs in combos with no problems at all BUT I do use tube shields or tube dampeners to ease the situation.

Michael Roe and tone seaker like this.