>

PPIMV with NFB Control.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by gregr, Aug 8, 2021.

1. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

Is anyone rocking these two controls and how do you like it?

2. Stephen H

Stephen H Member

I have a ppimv but no nfb control other than a soldering iron, and I don't know what type of ppimv Mr. Friedman is talking about in your sig., but my type 2 (dual 1M with 1.8M r's) does not change anything noticeably to my ears, at least down to half, I've never needed to try it lower.

3. Stephen H

Stephen H Member

Thinking about it, I didn't use shielded cable for mine, and I'm guessing, (and if anyone knows better, please chime in) that using shielded cable would have a kind of variable roll-off via the capacitance of the cable and resistance of the pot/s, so without the shielded cable there would be less/no high frequency attenuation (?)

4. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

I appreciate the replies.

So I don’t have much experience. The sig is just an appeal to authority.

I noticed a major difference changing the PPIMV on my Vintage Modern over to a traditional MV. I made other significant changes as well, most of them incremental, but I’m pretty sure the MV was done by itself. The Vintage Modern sounded pretty terrible with the volume below 4 and it seems like a lot of people are using attenuators with them.

The amp still sounds best loud, but now I can just crack the volume and the amp still sounds pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  5. Emiel

Emiel Member

Some PPIMVs work better at low volumes than others. Part of the reason why I finally got a Plexi clone is because the Rich II mod PPIMV works so well. I don't hear any significant tonal changes when I turn it way down. Really impressive.

matttornado likes this.