Post gig exhaustion - any tips?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by spacerocker, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

Exactly, our cost to perform is completely dependent on what we are to provide for shows. Last couple years we have performed more at venues that provide and run sound but we still have a full compliment PA if need be.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Redguitar

Redguitar Active Member

RedBull & roadies.

Mitchell Pearrow and spacerocker like this.
  3. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't know how we did it. We never used the house PA the few times there was such a thing available to us. We knew our own rig, so we always used it. That meant hauling in a large pair of mains, subs, amp, mixer, mic stands, cables and monitors in addition to each band members' instruments, mics, cables and amps, and then hauling all of that stuff out after playing from 9:00 until 1:00 or sometimes 2:00 and driving an hour or two back to the practice space and unloading the PA stuff and then driving home with our own gear.

On the way home I always got a Hostess Apple Pie. It seemed to rejuvenate me at least enough to make it back to my bed at 3:00 or 4:00 or 5:00.

Hostess Apple Pie. That is the answer to post-gig exhaustion.

[​IMG]

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

it is interesting to hear these perspectives, we tend to muddle along depending on venue. It is nice to go to festival with combo, mic up, play and run on the understanding that first song is effectively soundcheck! Small venues like function rooms in pubs we take a small rig PA for vocals and keys, bigger gigs in halls/marquees we have our ex-drummer who does PA for a couple of bands and he has the full lights/smoke subs, full foldback etc which means full teardown around midnight but we all muck in (including our two girl singers). But then he knows our stuff and the sound is so much better when he is there. I still like the JTM45/half stack as my monitor albeit with an Alex, line out and cab mic. I suspect like most here I need to hear myself sounding good to play well (half my band are tour hardened pro's which means I have to step up to the mark).
    So the price for that after a gig is falling into bed at 2 or 3 am - tired!

5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

6. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

I don't know that there is a cure aside from no longer playing gigs or playing infrequently - which is a non starter for most, me included!

I get it though, what the OP posted. I live a good, solid 90 minutes from where we play gigs. Load the gear in the car, drive 90 minutes, unload gear into a crowded venue, play 9PM till 2PM closing, wait to get paid, load gear back in the car and drive another 90 minutes to get home, unload gear and bring in the house. You are getting exhausted just reading this, yes? :)

It's a labor of love (I sure don't do it for the the chump change we get paid.) All you can do is ensure you don't have any commitments the following morning and sleep a full 8 hours.

7. ido1957

ido1957 Active Member

We ended up adding the guy who filled in on bass and we are now 4 piece keeping the same drummer.
    If any one person can't make it we can switch instruments and play 3 piece It's practical and musically an improvement.
    We played last Saturday and got a couple of positive comments from the crowd about the improvement with the added player.

8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Back in the day what we used to get us through was allot of Cocaine.

Chrome likes this.
  9. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

Yes, the 80s were very, very good to me.

Or so I have read;)