Post gig exhaustion - any tips?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by spacerocker, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member

Local bars provide. When we play a gig in a huge tent out of town, no point paying for a PA system when we have one. Same when we used to to play more small bars. Same with dances. No house PA. Then what? Don't play it at all?
    Why is it horrible other than once it is set, it is done. Thus the requirement for solo boosts. We have better monitors than most places we play. I listen out front with wireless. While we do have some times when say my vox aren't quite loud enough nobody cares.

Mitchell Pearrow and tubes like this.
  2. Jethro Rocker

All our own gear. FOH is to the sides out of shot. Board sits beside drums atop a small rack with EQs etc. Is it as good as an expensive sound company doing it? No.
    Is it sufficeint? Yes.
    Does the audience care?
    No.
    Can we afford to hire and still get gas money?
    No.
    Is it balls of fun?
    Yes.
    That's what counts

EDIT - Most local venues here with house simply set and sound guy leaves for show anyhow.

No house PA here. So.... gotta do it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  3. donwagar

donwagar Well-Known Member

There's only one way to stop getting older, and it's not a very good option.

As we age (I'm 69) we do have to adjust what we do. Some lighter gear, have the younger guys (if you have some in the band) step up and carry the heavy shit. Are you using LED lights? If not, switching can cut some heat on the stage.

4. Jethro Rocker

I love the heat amd look of the big Par 56s on back. Less than the 64s but still effective. Cut to smaller wedges etc absolutley. I am ok with exhaustion the next day

5. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

You make a good point. However, you must be in an area where it's like that. Personally, I've never heard of it.

I'm sure you still have to haul your own gear though. F-that too, none of that is worth it to me personally anymore.

:2c:

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer >>> Fridgerator <<< Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Fluoride in teh tap waters.

StingRay85 likes this.
  7. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Get roadies. Seriously. Back in late 80s we had a Peavey PA system, all matched so it was pretty efficient but still heavy as hell. After a few months of setting up and tearing down I went from 4x12 to 2x12 vertical and sometimes a 1x12 combo.
    I’d work Monday-Friday 1st shift, Friday after work we’d load the van, drive to the gig. Setup, sound check, eat, kill some time till we went on at 10, 11:15 if we had an opening act. Stop at 2AM, if we were lucky it was a 2 night weekend at the same joint and no tear down friday night. Go find a chick, get breakfast, maybe get lucky, sleep a few hours, play again Saturday night, tear down and move the gear into the jam room. Chick and breakfast again. On Sunday we got together, debriefed and talked about new songs, maybe pick one or 2, learn them during the week and jam them at sound check.
    Having roadies helped a bunch!!! Gave them free beers, if we got part of the bar as pay (typically we’d get 25% of the door and bar take OR a guaranteed $ per night) we’d put one of them there and make sure the bartenders rang up every damn drink and weren’t pocketing the profits.

nowadays I’m in a “dad rock” band and I have a Helix and a Headrush 108. 2 minutes to plug in cables and send a feed to FOH. 5 minutes to tear down and load out, just because I’m careful with cables.
    We rent PA, so I have a guitar in one hand, helix in backpack, and 108 in the other hand.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  8. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

You guys are ambitious. I dont want to do anything after work.........nothing.
    Yet you guys go gigging til 2am. I couldnt imagine.
    God bless ya's
    Rock on MF ers !

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer >>> Fridgerator <<< Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

We are the keepers of the keys to ...

...and you know, the thing.

C'mon, man!

DreamerDeceiver and tubes like this.
  10. tubes

tubes Well-Known Member

Judging from this thread I think many members here are The Keepers of The Pension, The Superannuation, The Retirement Income.

I mean no disrespect to anybody.
    Especially not to anybody gigs regularly while being non-youth.

11. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Up North in Canada ? Yeah, I can see that actually being a plus. Down here in the South of France (think California type of climate)...not so much ;)
    Next day exhaustion is only fun when you actually have to do it again...and the next 5 days as well !

12. Jethro Rocker

5 days in a row too much for me. 2 nights is ok if house PA.
    I am getting old....

13. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

Bunch of FN Geritol men !

:woot:

Ruffians

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  14. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Most I've done is 22 (4 hours) gigs in a month. With LOTS of driving involved. Took me 2 weeks to recover.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  15. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Better than a bunch of Gerbil F'n men. :ugh:

16. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

Not true, I have worked and still do work a 40+ hour week my whole life and still have scheduled rehearsals almost every Sunday, as well as 20-30 (I used to do a ton more)shows a year. Is it a sacrifice? Yes, my girlfriend has supported it every since we have been together, as well did my ex wife. I can’t speak for everyone but I am at least 8 years away from any retirement.

17. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

Some thoughts on the comments above:

• Yes - I'm 60 now - but as I explained, I had this problem when I was 40, maybe even younger (when I was more overweight, and less fit!...)

• I'm convinced my main problem is dehydration - and losing minerals and salts (which is why water alone doesn't cut it for me...) To this end, next gig I will be getting some electrolyte drinks and using them before, during and after.

• Yes we have a lot of gear. As singer as well as guitarist, I have to lug and set up the PA as well as the guitar gear...

• A Combo does help slightly (if only because it is one less trip to the car!), and I do use mine for small gigs and small festivals - but my modded JVM410 and 4 x 12 sounds sooooo much better!

• It's unusual in the UK to have a PA provided in a bar or pub...but when we have used this sort of "house PA" it as always been an unmitigated disaster! Not enough channels, Feedback problems, Monitoring problems, and poor front of house sound....If a "sound man" is provided (usually a DJ doubling up) - it is even worse as they "always know best" (I had a stand up row with one of them who butchered our FOH sound to "cure" a feedback problem, when it was blindingly obvious it was the monitors!).....The exception is bigger, pro set-ups such as festivals, and other large outdoor gigs, where most of the time monitoring and FOH sound is first class..

Thanks for the (mostly!) helpful suggestions! Some things to thing about....

18. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

in that exact sequence

Tacos & Beer-> BJ-> MJ-> A good night of sleep

Despite this is a joke, that's a nice ending to a gig.

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

If it were my band I would have a different drummer.

20. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

That sucks—not sure I would be doing it if we had to provide sound as well every night. We charge an extra $250 if we need to do sound as well