Possible deal on a DSL100H...

PelliX

Reaction score
1. The original DSL heads, consisting of 100w and 50w models. (These had PCB issues with "bias drift over time". The combo model, the DSL401, overheated due to the EL84's, of which I owned two.)

Yes, they're the 'children' of the JCM2000 line, really. Some of the early 100W heads had the bias drift issue, indeed. The 401 was an oddball for using EL84's, afaik the only DSL to ever do so. Combos (particularly DSL's, but applies in general) will suffer from heat issues. Sorry to hear you had a couple go south on you.

.......(The original DSL line was eventually discontinued.)

Yup.

2. A new(?) DSL 100 head was released with black piping. I don't know where it was made, I assume not in the UK because I paid $800 or $900 new, but I remember not being happy with it.

That was only the DSL100 MLB, I believe. Had a few other little 'accents' changed, bit like the SC stealth almost. It was a re-issue of the original DSL100.

3. The release of the new DSL lineup, all made in Vietnam, consisting of the DSL100H head (which I think is the one in my photos above?, the DSL 40, and some 15 watt combo that flopped b/c it had no FX loop.)

This is a "2nd gen", so after the 1st gen, but pre 'CR and HR', so not the latest line. All DSL's are manufactured in Vietnam, indeed - as was this one.

So first, am I accurate? And second, where does the model I posted in question of, fit? I would think obviously #3.

Basically, it's a DSL100H, not a DSL100HR, so one gen behind current. Many prefer them, though. I couldn't say I've ever A/B'ed them in a fair way.

Yep-a-doodle-doo.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
BTW, I don't need this DSL100 watt map head at all. However, it's hard to pass up... if the guts are good (I hate buying other people's Frankensteined maps. :mad:). My biggest concern is that I don't want end up buying it, and then having to go around buying a whole new set of tubes for it and then take it to the shop for biasing and all that crap. In fact, the only honest reasons I'm considering it, are;

Because contrary to my two 20 watt "mini" Marshal heads, this full-size head will look super-dooper cool. :D

Because I miss putting on a pair of ear muffs and cranking a 100 watt Marshall, just to watch the the dust fall from the ceiling. Also, to give my neighbor's dogs something to REALLY bark about.
Dont get it, get the HR, I think you will really enjoy playing around with the extra features and JVM style footswitch. :yesway:

PelliX

Reaction score
Wow, the Vin-wad is getting schooled this morning. The one I'm considering is the "DSL100H (2012)", according to the Marshall webben siten.

View attachment 113285

Believe it or not, the Marshall website really isn't a very accurate depiction of the product range/history. 1st pic, yes. 2nd pic, yes ( *think* those were made in the UK, not 100% sure). 3rd pic: yes, Vietnam assembly. 4th pic is the DSL100H (no R) and comes between the 2nd and 3rd pics. Marshall, in their infinite wisdom, still refer to the DSL100HR as a DSL100H which doesn't help much. That 'error' is probably in a bunch of catalogues and will continue to propagate around webshops and so on. To be fair, they are different beasts, sound and feature wise. The DSL100HR is the direct replacement for DSL100H, though.

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the Marshall website really isn't a very accurate depiction of the product range/history. 1st pic, yes. 2nd pic, yes ( *think* those were made in the UK, not 100% sure). 3rd pic: yes, Vietnam assembly. 4th pic is the DSL100H (no R) and comes between the 2nd and 3rd pics. Marshall, in their infinite wisdom, still refer to the DSL100HR as a DSL100H which doesn't help much. That 'error' is probably in a bunch of catalogues and will continue to propagate around web shops and so on. To be fair, they are different beasts, sound and feature wise. The DSL100HR is the direct replacement for DSL100H, though.
Thanks Pellix, do you know how they differ in sound?
Or what the intent was for it's release?
Any knowledge of why they [seemed] so brief? (They are listed on Marshall's site as "2012").

PelliX

Reaction score
Thanks Pellix, do you know how they differ in sound?

Well, there are various descriptions floating around. My "perception", which was not a fair A/B but an A [year passes], B kinda affair was that the HR (newer one) sounded even more 'modern', so a bit JVM inspired. That said, I don't recall what valves in what condition were in there, there were too many differences for an accurate comparison. Others here can maybe paint a better picture....

Or what the intent was for it's release?

They 'updated' a number of things, like the MV controls, some fairly minor circuit changes. As you noticed; switches and other aesthetics. I believe (but I'm not rock solid on this) that many of the older the 100H's used transistors for switching instead of relays in some places. Not that you will *hear* a difference, but the microcontroller driving the relay switching in the 100HR has known to play up. Generally this is caused by a couple of components upstream of it, effectively starving it of power - and is easily rectified. I, FWIW, have never heard of any issues with the transistor mechanism.

Any knowledge of why they [seemed] so brief? (They are listed on Marshall's site as "2012").

Component availability, maybe? Nothing solid, honestly. My guess would be that they (and I don't mean this in a bad way) figured out how to make the model a fair deal more cost effective to produce, introduced the necessary changes, gave it a few changes in looks (maybe there was a lot of feedback asking for MV's?) and a slightly different name. Just a guess.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Because it's sitting there at the store with my name on it for $600? ;) I'm not spending $1,300 or whatever on another map head I don't really need.
Look for a used HR silly! I'm not suggesting buy a new one, I just saw one on Reverb for $670, theyre out there so be patient! I mean really, if youre getting this amp cuz it will look good on your 4x12 just get a bigger headshell for your DSL20 or whatever you got!

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
.... I believe (but I'm not rock solid on this) that many of the older the 100H's used transistors for switching instead of relays in some places. Not that you will *hear* a difference, but the microcontroller driving the relay switching in the 100HR has known to play up. Generally this is caused by a couple of components upstream of it, effectively starving it of power - and is easily rectified. I, FWIW, have never heard of any issues with the transistor mechanism. ...
I always feared that "clicking" sound of relay switches. They use those for automobile direction signals, among many other things. I view them as inevitable points of future failure because they are mechanical.

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Look for a used HR silly! I'm not suggesting buy a new one, I just saw one on Reverb for $670, theyre out there so be patient! I mean really, if youre getting this amp cuz it will look good on your 4x12 just get a bigger headshell for your DSL20 or whatever you got!
Ah, there's your BINGO - the Vinsanitizer does not buy used gear online. He only buys gear from his local stores. On rare occasions, he will buy "new" gear from Amazon for its excellent return policy, such as his DSL5CR, but that is a rare occasion for him.

And Paul? How TF does one fit the chassis of a DSL20 in a full-size head shell without he has to destroy his beautiful brand-new DSL20? :D

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
And Paul? How TF does one fit the chassis of a DSL20 in a full-size head shell without he has to destroy his beautiful brand-new DSL20? :D
Its easy! Use that Vinsanitizer ingenuity you'll figure it out! I'll give you a hint, look at how a JMP50 fits into its head shell. :yesway:

nGaNcUV.jpg

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
I always feared that "clicking" sound of relay switches. They use those for automobile direction signals, among many other things. I view them as inevitable points of future failure because they are mechanical.

I get that, but seriously, relays are VERY reliable components in general. The DSL40/100xR's issue is with the power supply for the microcontroller, I don't think I've ever heard of a relay actually being at fault. Even in automotive applications like you mention they seldom fail, and just think of the constant vibration, loosely regulated DC, heat, continous switching for minutes on end, etc.

Also, easy to diagnose: clicking, relay OK and being driven correctly. Not clicking, you have some problem before the relay, not after it.

don550

Reaction score
The amp in your picture is a DSL 100H.. I have the same amp and played last night with my 4-12 cab. My amp is 2014 and it has been in my gig amp rotation since I got new… I have been fortunate enough to play my amps at a good loud volume due to type of gigs we do. My amp has never failed and I can switch between channels without lag.. I usually play the green channel with crunch and use different overdrives to push it harder. The red channel is too compressed but is passable if you don’t over do the gain.. I‘ve also have access to my friends 100HR and have played the two amps in a stereo combination and sound wise the 100HR is slightly different, I prefer my 100H . Feature wise the 100HR is better if you want channel switching but that‘s not important to me. I have a lot of amps Fender and Marshall and for what I need for gigs where I need clean fender type Strat sounds from one song to crunchy fat Les Paul sounds the 100H works for me as a gigging guitarist.. Is it the best amp in my rotation no, but it gets the job done and if we’re playing a venue that I don’t know then it’s my go to amp instead of bringing out a more expensive amp.. $600 is a good price for a amp that’s been taken care of. If my amp broke and was not repairable I would buy another 100H

mcblink

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a 100H.
I've got one too, it's a '13, made in Vietnam.
Never so much as had a single problem with it evar. It is my second most-used map.
For that price, as long as everything is straight, I would say just scoop it up. IIRC, I paid $899 new from Sweetwater.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a good price to me @Vinsanitizer, have you played the current line Vin?

The original Dsl line, (Double Super Lead), was made in England, it came out in the summer of 1997. It was the Jcm2000Dsl, evolving from the Jcm900.

The second iteration of the Dsl was in 2012, made in Vietnam, (h and c).

That line, (h and c), was replaced in January of 2018 with the 3rd and current generation of the Dsl line, (hr and cr), also made in Vietnam.

Kutt

Reaction score
The first "H" series, from my understanding, is effectively a reproduction of the JCM 2000 DSL 100. I have not played an "H" so take it with a grain of salt.

The HR sounds different than the JCM 2000. I don't give a rats ass if anyone says otherwise (as I've read before). It is voiced differently. I sold my HR last month and I have three JCM 2000's so I feel qualified in my statement. They are all definitely Marshall sounding but they pivoted with the HR.

My .02

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
The first "H" series, from my understanding, is effectively a reproduction of the JCM 2000 DSL 100. I have not played an "H" so take it with a grain of salt.

The HR sounds different than the JCM 2000. I don't give a rats ass if anyone says otherwise (as I've read before). It is voiced differently. I sold my HR last month and I have three JCM 2000's so I feel qualified in my statement. They are all definitely Marshall sounding but they pivoted with the HR.

My .02

The original UK built JCM 2000 DSL sounded the best IMO but was a disaster when it comes to reliability. There are fixes for it though that make it 100 percent reliable.

The second version made from 2012 to 2017 is a great amp but sounds a little different. Not much and these are very reliable from what I've read. Made in Vietnam.

The newest version from 2018 until present is the worst sounding imo too. It's definitely is more modern sounding. Also made in Vietnam. I've read about switching issues with these also.

I've played them all side by side at my own leisure fwiw.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, as the 'JCM2000' badge tickles my pickle, but I think the 100H is the one I'd go for. Vin, I think we've all reached a concensus here. Time to get shoppin', and enjoy a NMD (new map day)!

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Also have to mention that before I got my DSL 100 H I asked people what would give me AC/DC, Zep, all the way to early MetalliDeth type of stuff. Got a lot of suggestions but one person authoritatively said "You want a DSL" and explained the various models to me.

Sure as hell, he was right and I'll never forget him because this amp does exactly what I want. Best amp I've ever owned.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I was recently looking for a HR 100 watt head, and was surprised at how many sellers did not understand a H from the newer HR versions.
I much prefer the HR series, as opposed to the older H, but thats just my opinion, and there are others who prefer the H over the HR.
One of the easiest way to quickly tell them apart...
The newest version DSL100HR has the very first option on the front is a push button.
The Older DSL100H is a knob.
Thats how I trained my eyes, when I was shopping.
P.S. I picked up a DSL100HR for $550 about 6 weeks ago, and tubes are fine!
Here are two pics to compare:

NEWER DSL100 HR (Push button)

DSL100HR.jpg

OLDER DSL100 H (knob) :

dsl100H.jpg

Latest posts