Portable Combo Amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pedecamp, Sep 20, 2020.

1. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

For 1 watt with a 9 volt battery for power? MoNsTeRoUs!
    Why use a 1x12 combo when this can even handle a 4x12! haha!

2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Even though my Backstage 30 had a Gain control, in reality it just added a little bit of crunch. The boost on the Morley gave me some nice OD - plus having a volume pedal and wah :)

3. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I am currently building another, but this time with a master volume! This will be the fourth one. That one was for my good friend. After he heard the first one, he said that he needed a great sounding portable bedroom amp, and I offered to build him one, if he supplied one of his combos. Well, out of the three, this one sounds the best! We laughed at what we were hearing, knowing what it is. I mean, the 'chugs' were there, the feedback. - Use a pedal multi processor like a Korg, Boss, or Vox ToeLab in clean mode and you just keep on laughing. You do not understand that this useless novelty became a useful tool and a great sounding Marshallesque micro amp.
    Leave, and have a cab at different locations and save your back, and bring a smile to your ears with this neat concept.

I posted a schem or diagram of how to do this for the MS-2.(MS-4 similar) It is really that easy. I will help anyone who has the desire and a little soldering skill or just want to give it a shot and learn something that can be a benefit.
    There are a few ways to wire it up based on features. So far, the key is Speaker; in that most all the MS-2's sound the same, but is dependent on the type of speaker used.
    For instance, Ω rating - whether a 16Ω or 8Ω, and power handling. The Peavey Scorpion, for what ever reason other than being a 200w, sounded the best. I made a note of that.
    I wonder if you were to take a less efficient speaker (which I have), say a 10 or 15 watt 1x12, and hear if it responds in close theory to a Marshall 100 watt head through a 100w bottom. I do not know, this is all Greek to me and still learning.
    I wanted to share a very cool thing and help out several members to put a smile on their face, and most here know I am a Plexi guy. :cheers:

4. KraftyBob

This is not my actual amp, but the same one I had:

ISI12682.jpg

5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

ive been offered a bit of money for it but i cant sell it.
    it was given to me way back in the 90s by a friend.
    i keep everything im given to a fault. i have a whole host
    of things given either in use or in a trunk that ive refused
    to get rid of. even simple stupid shit i keep it lol.

6. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Wasn't offering the build as a model for sale, as it is for my use. I shut down the amp building business in 2017, and only build for myself, or a one off if someone talks me into it.

I'll probably build another amp like this one, one that has a couple of more features, and after it's complete, I may sell off the prototype chassis only.

I meant to say that a grab and go in a lower watt is a very real prospect. I think the completed chassis is maybe 4-5 pounds is all. PT is small at 81mA powering a pair of 6CM6's, and the chassis is a Modulus Amps aluminum chassis. Weight is an issue for me as an old fart. The 6CM6's lie in between a EL84 and a 6V6, best of both prospects, no ice pick EL84 tones, and more grind than the 6V6.

7. KraftyBob

LOL, I used to hang on to a lot of stuff as well. Moving to a smaller house finally pushed me to sell a lot of my gear that I never really used. Now I'm down to my DSL40C, a 1x12 speaker cab and my Helix. I still have 8 guitars but am trying to sell one of my Ibanez's. It's entry level and another thing I never really play.

I'm like you and tend to hang on to things. My reasoning is "you never know when you might need it someday". My wife doesn't fall for that and has been instrumental in getting me to get rid of stuff I don't use anymore.

8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Hmmmm. I had one. Everything on the code is a preset, you cant just fiddle with knobs amd it stays set there it must be saved. Drove me nuts. I traded it for the Katana amd never looked back. I prefer the Katana by miles.

9. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Why not buy a single ended 5w tube amp......valve Jr or something and expierament with mods.....light weight and can be tweaked how you want it.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  10. What?

What? Well-Known Member

If you can sound good through a Valve Jr. you can sound good through anything. The ultimate practice amp or just self torture?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I do recall the Egnater Tweaker 15 combo sounding pretty good and only a few hundred bucks used. So if I'm looking at small tube combos then I might as well look at the Orange Tiny Terror combo, pretty much the same price, then you got the Fender Bassbreaker, what else we got?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    ricksdisconnected likes this.
  12. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a DSL 15C with a Greenback that I used to use for grab and go gigs (well, before the world went to hell). It's pretty light and inexpensive.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of DSL, have owned 2, but this guy seems to make them sound pretty good in the 5 watt model:

Mitchell Pearrow and John BNY like this.
  14. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

For the money, can't beat a Peavey Classic 30

Jethro Rocker and joe_cpwe like this.
  15. doc mckenna

doc mckenna New Member

Played one a few times at the store. Wanted it but didn't have the cash at the time.

Great little amp. They have the YGL2 if you need more power for a bigger venue. A couple extra bells and whistles on the YGL2. One of the best tiny combos I have tried.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

If you could find a Sunn Beta Lead combo and pull the amp out you would have a light weight killer amp to set on a 1-12" cab. They were the best solid state amp I ever played and the amp itself comes right out and does not need a box around it. It is self contained and all closed in, it would be easy to make a 1-12" cab to mount it in also. Or have somebody like Sourmash make you one. This should put you in about the 35 lb. bracket but still have lot's of good punchy sound. Here is a nice one in combo form, you can get just the head as well if you look around. https://reverb.com/item/34994552-be...9s9DaHEBqPsDUwb4NcedCAKFjvvTtszhoCM6oQAvD_BwE

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Jimvermaport

Jimvermaport New Member

Trace Elliot Velocette. 15 watts 10” carlsbro speaker. Great sound. Volume, tone control and bright switch.

18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

If it's SS, just go Peavey Vypyr VIP 1/2.

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, its hard getting past that but the Reverb 12 i just paid $250.00 for does not give me any remorse, in fact I'm happy to own it. I'm gonna probably pick up a 2x12" 16ohm cab this weekend so i can really see what it can do, i needed a good cab around anyway. Oh yeah, its very light, I'd be surprised if its 20lbs.

pedecamp likes this.
  20. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

:lol: