Portable Combo Amps

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pedecamp, Sep 20, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I went to my dads for a few days (4 days to be exact) and slummed it with my Chinee LPee and Peavey Backstage combo which has made me rethink my position on combos. I gave up combos cuz they are too heavy to carry and dont sound as good as a head/cab, but this trip has opened my eyes and ears to reconsidering. Yeah, the sound wasnt great through this old decrepit solid state amp I havent given much attention to since the 80's, but it didnt take terribly long to find a tone I liked and my ear to adjust to it, not bad says I! Got me thinking if I did any more of these short trips like this a lightweight tube combo (if any exist) would be a cool addition just for this grab and go purpose. I'm gonna start looking around to see what lightweight tube combos are out there, maybe even a Marshall solid state would suffice like a 30 watt MG, I remember liking the Yamaha THR10 even. Small, lightweight and inexpensive is my requirement for grab and go. :yesway:

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thats what Ive been saying! A good 1x12 combo with a good speaker kicks ass and is so convenient! I love them look at my signature!

3. MarshallDog

I think you would love a Marshall JCM 800 4010 1x12 combo from around 1983 if you can find one?! They are killer and loud as hell and they are very compact!

4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

5. pedecamp

I love your collection but my back hurts just thinking about carrying them ouch! :yesway:

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's by no means cheap, but the combo version Mesa Mark V:25 is ridiculous! The chassis is just 14 inches wide so it's not much bigger than a Lead 12 combo but it's truly the real deal in amps. Check one out if you get the chance.

Mesa is doing some things that I really think Marshall should be doing. Like not going down market and not cheapening the product and not catering to the student budget crowd.

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

If you don't mind a light non tube that you can play out n around but not with a drummer, I love my Yamaha THR10x. So compact,,sounds pretty good, suprisingly versatile even runs on batteries. I also use my Boss Katana dor most practices now. Sounds plenty good enough and again is versatile and light.

No tubes tho. Start looking at tube combos amd the iron will make it heavy. My 6101 is very small. Very versatile. Very dense for it's size, a heavy little bugger.
    DSL20 C?
    Jubilee 2525C?

8. MarshallDog

Mitchell Pearrow and BftGibson like this.
  9. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Just means your approach to the gear and your ears got better.

[​IMG]

There's a lot of combo amps with processors that are lightweight.
    These austere times people tend to go bang for the buck and easy on the back rather than brand loyalty.

The Katana is making the rounds of guitar players.

If you can sound like a recording playing live, there you go...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  10. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

The MK3 has the EV speaker..what a beast but what tone. The DC3 isn't too heavy..am still puzzled how Mesa makes these little boxes sound so big..even the DC3 is huge sounding.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

My next little combo, should I need it will be the 1-12" 2202 combo, pretty small and light but packs a punch. Need a little more, set it on another 1-12".
    Go to the "more pictures" tab and scroll down to see one. http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/

12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

They're not light

Even the small Peavey Vypyr VIP-I, which imho is the smallest and cheapest of decent sounding modellers, is noticeably hefty @ 20 lbs.

The truly light stuff like Roland Microcubes....kinda sucks.

Smallest decent TUBE combo I've had was an Epiphone Valve Special is almost 40 lbs (there was a smaller one-knob version and some Fender Champ 600 joke, but those are too small and lack necessary controls for real usability)

13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a 1966 Fender Vibro Champ when I was 12 years old in 1968, what a great little amp! 6 watts, (if I'm not mistaken), with a single 8" speaker. I sure wish I still had that amp, I threw it in the garbage when it stopped working, I was an idiot! All I could think about at the time, was getting a bigger, louder amp.

I don't know who coined this phrase, but it's true imo,....."Youth is wasted on the Young"

14. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

I have a Fender Champion 100 that I used until I got my Marshall. It does get a little backbreaking at times to carry it, but it's my go to combo amp because it has everything I need in terms of tone and has been a very reliable amp for me.

15. Timmy51

Timmy51 Active Member

ricksdisconnected and BftGibson like this.
  16. pedecamp

Yeah this amp is for personal practice no band, the Yamaha is looking attractive to me, so is the Marshall MG30. The Peavey I have works but if I can get better tone with something else I might go for it. :yesway:

Timmy51 and Jethro Rocker like this.
  17. pedecamp

The Fender Super and Vibro Champs are good, Im gonna look at them again. :yesway:

18. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The Katana is far more flexible than the MG series. I suspect the THR likely sounds miles better too. In my experoence.

19. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If it's just for personal practice, download Native Instruments Guitar Rig to your laptop, hook up your guitar with 1/4" to 1/8" cable to the mic jack, plug in your headphones, and rock out. You can use the free version for half an hour at a time before having to reset. The tones are plentiful and good.

If you already have a laptop (or desktop) computer and headphones and the cable, then you can use this for FREE.

20. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Not to hijack a thread, but I've been working on creating such a grab and go amp for my use. Finished the prototype amp, and am waiting on the combo cabinet from Mojotone.

It's a 14watt push pull that's a spin off from a Friedman BE. Different input jack functions, different tone stack, no-presence, 6CM6 power tubes, and fairly light weight chassis.

I was very lucky that David Hopkins, aka New Religion, had some spare time and stopped over this week to try out some amps. He thought it was a great fit. Really nice Marshall cleans, and tight dirt up to heavy metal. Just goes to show the right application can be had in a tube / lightweight application.

Going into a Tweed sized "
    Super"cabinet(not tweed covered)
    with a 1 x 12 speaker