Popping and Crackling Noise

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by corey5150, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:14 AM.

1. corey5150

corey5150 New Member

Hi guys!

I have a haze 15 head, I made a couple mods to it (Brought it to jcm specs) all was good, and then all of sudden it makes loud pops and a constant crackling sound. There is no guitar signal coming through. I have inspected connection and gone back through and changed the last two mods I did. I thought perhaps the power tubes went bad so I changed them. I started pulling tubes to see if I could isolate the problem. Crackling remained with all pre amp tubes removed. I haven't modified anything in the power amp (I should mention when I removed the power tubes - there was no more noise).

Can anyone help point in the right direction? I'm thinking filter caps, but I'm unsure and don't want to waste my time ordering a bunch if there's a few things I can check.

Thanks!

2. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

if it worked before you messed with it then that is most likely the cause. poor solder joints are the likely culprit, although it's likely things are now miswired as well. one good thing to keep in mind wrt mods: do one at a time and test after each. that way if it stops working properly, it was the last thing you did. do this until your skills and knowledge are built up

XTRXTR likes this.
  3. corey5150

corey5150 New Member

Thanks for the reply!

so I did the jcm specs several weeks ago - and the amp functioned completely fine! Which only required switching out some components.

the next thing I did was simply add a presence knob which required a connection off r47. Even then I played with the amp for probably 2+ hours before all this started, and everything was as it should have been. So I disconnected the the presence knob (removed the connection to the resistor) and it still continues.

I’ve run continuity around everywhere I worked and it shows connectivity, so I’m fairly confident it’s not a cold solder joint. I’ll probably run over it again.

4. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Chopstick it with a signal applied at the input. If you have a bad connection somewhere this will usually reveal the culprit.

5. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

also where a scope is worth its weight in gold

6. corey5150

corey5150 New Member

I’ll give this another go, thanks!

7. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Active Member

What has been said already plus, maybe take a good look at your screen resistors or any others if they are carbon composition. Sometimes these crack and pop if they have tiny cracks in them.