>

Poll: Which 20-watt Studio Series Marshall is best: SV20, SC20, or Studio Jubilee?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by pentatonicwanker, Feb 3, 2021.

?

If you had to have just one Studio Series Marshall, which would it be?

1. SV20H/C

50 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. SC20H/C

30 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 2525H/C

20 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Ok, let me shed a little light (maybe). I've owned a 2205, a 2203x, a 2555x, and currently have the SC20H, the SV20H, and a 1959 SLP RI. This is my personal opinion, of course, based on my experience with each amp.

• 2203x - Open sounding amp, articulate, with emphasis on upper mids and lower bass. Master volume amp, does not require an attenuator.
    • 1959 SLP RI - Open sounding amp, articulate, primary emphasis on upper mids, but with a broader tonal spectrum than the 2203x, due to it's channel jumping/mixing options. Requires an attenuator in smaller spaces to use at it's full potential.
    • SC20H - Sounds pretty much spot on, preamp wise, to a 2203x (a bit less low end thump, due to being only 20 watts). Master volume amp, does not require an attenuator.
    • SV20H - Sounds pretty much spot on, preamp wise, to a 1959 SLP RI (a bit less low end thump, due to being only 20 watts). Requires an attenuator in smaller spaces to use at it's full potential.
    • 2205 - Similar distortion characteristics to a Jubilee in "Rhythm Clip" mode, but with more emphasis on the upper mids than a Jubilee. A thinner sounding amp than a 2203x.
    • 2555x (Jubilee Reissue) - Darker in tonality than all of the amps listed above, more emphasis on lower mids, more responsive tone controls, due to tone stack positioned later in the circuit. Not quite as open or articulate as a 2203x. Smoother, thicker distortion, especially with the diode clipping ("Rhythm Clip") engaged.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  2. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

That was more helpful than you could know--thank you! It's so hard to find a straight, easy-to-understand explanation of the differences between the different flavors JCM 800s and Jubilee. The 1959/SV bit was great too

Old Punker, tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  3. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Although the only one I own is the 2525h Mini Jubilee. I voted for the SC20. I bought the Mini before the SC series came out.

4. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I agree; it is personal taste. I can't stand the nebulous fizzy/fuzzy/sandy sound of transistor or diode clipping which is why I created an open circuit by lifting one end of the capacitor linking the diode circuit in my JCM602, effectively eliminating it. It was a major improvement to the OD channel. I also don't use any solid state overdrive pedals for the same reason. Obviously, some people do like the effect on the sound because there are amps that incorporate the design, e.g. JCM600, JCM900, Silver Jubilee, that sell, and people do modify amps that lack it. I prefer the sound quality of thermionic emission of valves overdriving my signal, and silicon and germanium don't necessarily equate to higher gain than a vacuum tube.

Rock on.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Is there a difference between diode clipping ala 900 amd LED clip as per Jubilee? Just wondered as the Jubilee uses light from LED for it's clipping, in some ways a like a diode tube (as opposed to triode etc).
    I do not find the Jubilee fuzzy as such at all. Completely different EQ section etc.
    Works for me.

Jubilee23, tce63 and Kinkless Tetrode like this.
  6. Jethro Rocker

I did find this.

"Red LEDs rather than regular diodes were chosen for their forward voltage (i.e. the maximum signal they would pass versus the levels expected at this part of the circuit), but also the shape of the 'knee' as the forward voltage is reached.

Some types of diodes have a very sharp knee, and others a soft one, and this will significantly affect the resultant sound between overdrive and distortion characteristics."

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  7. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The JCM900 50W Dual Reverb, et al. use a bridge rectifier for diode clipping. Marshall has used one component with four diodes in place of four actual diodes as they did in the JTM60/JCM600 models. If I remember correctly, the diode clipping was removed in the JCM900 SLX models.

An LED is a solid state light emitting diode. Looking at the schematic for the Silver Jubilee, it appears that a combination of LEDs and 1N4007 diodes are incorporated. The LEDs are simply used in place of a standard diode, with the signal passing through its silicon and producing light as a by-product. As with any components, a change means some type of different coloration of the sound produced. I don't see anything in the schematic to suggest that the light emitted from the LEDs is captured by another device, such as an opto-isolator so the light produced is itself irrelevant (although electrons passing through a silicon LED may "sound better' than those passing through a silicon rectifier diode). Now, there are thermionic diodes which would intially seem to be a better solution than those that are silicon, germanium, gallium arsenide based, but those are not used here.

8. Jethro Rocker

Thanks! Cheers

IOSEPHVS likes this.
  9. marshallmellowed

It's funny, some have complained about a very slight volume drop on the SC20, when the loop is engaged. I was always annoyed buy the volume drop on the Jubilee, when engaging the "Rhythm Clip", but the SC20 loop drop doesn't bother me at all. Guess it's because the loop is either always on, or always off.

10. Jethro Rocker

Same with clip, cannot tuen it on remotely whilst playjng.

11. marshallmellowed

Yes, another thing that annoyed me about the amp. I was planning to mod the amp to make it foot switchable, but due to the volume drop, I abandoned the idea and sold it. Having a background in electronics, I always thought it was an odd design. Enter the SL-X, plenty of gain (all tube gain), 2 master volumes (foot switchable).

12. Jethro Rocker

I like the different tonality of the Jubilees plus can always push with an OD and EQ in loop. I use mine without clip as clean dirtg amd boost in loop

13. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

I think it all boils down to what you're trying to get out of the amp and what music styles you play and prefer. Can't go wrong with any of them but you'll find one may suit you better. I have the sv20h and 2525h and like them both equally for different reasons. Really the best way is to try them all out with your guitar, I know that's difficult but that's why musicians friend is great because of their return policy.

14. marshallmellowed

Nothing wrong with that.

Old Punker and Jethro Rocker like this.
  15. Jethro Rocker

I initially got my first Jubilee in 1987 because I wanted channel switchjng. While the shared gain can be a bit of a pain, I got used to it and really liked the tones plus responsive EQ. So I have a soft spot for the Jubes jn spite of the shortcomings because I used one exclusively for so many years. From then until late 2004. I am somewhat partial.

16. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Active Member

Got an SV20 and a Weber MiniMass Attenuator (there's an option for a "boost" switch that's highly recommended add-on for the Weber). Such a musical, sweet singing amp rig! Had an Origin 20 watt head for about 30 seconds and sent it back...YMMV, My Mileage was just awful, there HAD to be something wrong with that new from GC amp head!! It sounded like a bag with two cats in it, one dead and the other one reaaaaly angry! Pedals didn't fix it.
    Saved up some more Pennies and have never looked back! Really thinking about getting a second SV20H! Just cause I have two ORI212a cabs, which are just amazing with the SV20H!!

17. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Active Member

I bought a SV20H. Hated its guts. Gave it a full tryout, but thankfully the great folks at Sweetwater allowed me to return it late for full in-store credit. Super noisy unit, with weird tube rattle/whistling sound that all manner of simple fixes couldn't fix. Seems like a design flaw to me.

If you need to buy an attenuator for an amp then the amp is just too many watts and too loud for your needs.. unless you're playing stadiums w/o a PA system, that is. You live, you learn. I strongly prefer MV amps.

BUYER BEWARE: I think there's a reason that you can go on Reverb right now and find lots and lots of "mint" SV20Hs. (See above.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    pentatonicwanker likes this.
  18. Zylo

Zylo Member

This guy did a video too

he’s a decent reviewer too

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  19. NelsonP

NelsonP New Member

I think the DSL might be the least compromised of all the 20 watt marshalls.

It has 2 channels, a switchable fx loop, aux in, emulated output. No other 20w Marshall is as fully featured. Only issues are shared eq (not ideal), a very gainy, gain channel and that the emulated out could be much better.

I have the DSL20CR combo, which comes with a Celestion Seventy 80, which I swapped almost immediately for a Greenback. It sounds really good. I'd like to hear a 2525c but suspect there may not be that much in it.

Johan Segeborn and Ola Englund have both posted videos singing the praised of the DSL20C.

LPMarshall hack likes this.
  20. marshallmellowed

We'll induct you into the "minority" club. Sorry, but due to COVID, there will be no ceremony :)

Jubilee23, TheCount0212 and ken361 like this.