Poll: Can We Talk About Your Favorite Grill Cloth and Why?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by crossroadsnyc, Jul 17, 2021.

?

Favorite Grill Cloth?

1. Basketweave

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Checkerboard

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. Black

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. Marshall Other (Another Marshall GC)

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Other (From Another Manufacturer)

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

It's simple really... if you have cane, it's not factory because it was never used by Marshall. So sure, cane would be a different product than S&P and look different. However, actual S&P used in the 60s/70s is quite compatible to modern S&P. That's all I'm saying. Hope that helps. Though faded, here is the original S&P:

[​IMG]

Here is the modern issue S&P:

[​IMG]

Cosmic Ray and Australian like this.
  2. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

I have a cab from 1970 and it's cane coloured basketweave and not dark n light, similar in manufacturing weave to yours (except it's not beat up), hey but I'm no expert and it could have been recovered but it looks just like every other early cane coloured cab I've seen.
    The modern stuff on a cab in our practice room 1982BHW is far less dense, it's thickness in profile is much less and IMO it sounds different but that's just my opinion, hope this helps.

3. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

checkerboard absolutely my favorite. if its the least bit dirty it looks vintage and you know how much we all love vintage.

4. DJGranite

DJGranite Active Member

I'm not sure but I think the 8x10 cab is Checkerboard, early 70s
    And it's not a cab but the cabs under the head have faded to the same brown-ish color as the head, mid 80s

I don't know if it's because it's in such great condition or because it's my most recently acquired cab but I really like the way this cab looks.

I like the straight up unfaded black on my other 80s amps too.

And I too, dig the metal grills as well.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

I've got my old cabinet page still up on the site: http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/cabinets.html

You can see the EC Collins Pinstripe, Bluesbreaker Reissue and Basketweave aka Salt & Pepper on the
    212 and 112 cab pics. Click on them and they go to a bigger picture.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  6. Doctor_Zoidberg

Doctor_Zoidberg Member

With reference to the Cane Coloured Basket-weave a lot of people believe they have as original fitting : -
    What can happen over time is that the Salt 'n' Pepper cloth, which each strand was made of rolled, coloured, waxed paper, can get bleached and it goes back to a light brown colour.
    To see if it is real S'n'P pull a speaker as (unless someone has turned the cloth) should still show its original colour. on the inside of the cab.

This is what can happen to the exposed side......
    And the reverse side is still S'n'P.
    [​IMG]

7. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Yeah thats a common misconception. The black and white colouring just fades to brown with age.

The only time I think Marshall used cane was on the 8x12's they built for Pete Townsend, as well as the 40th anniversary version of those cabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also used a brown two tone on the purple coloured cabs:

[​IMG]

8. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Looks like my Purple cab, cane, tan, brown whatever it is. They knew what they were doing back then, it's a great colour match for the Purple.

GIBSON67 likes this.
  9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Marshall also had the run of small cheque dyed black.

10. Ruster1

Ruster1 New Member

That is absolutely awesome idea and using FRFR in those cabs brilliant.. modeling amps get all the juicy tone from the computer.. not necessarily the speakers.. very cool idea.. I have heard the silver face MG CFX series and it seems to shine for heavier stuff more than classic rock.. but they sure look cool in that carbon fiber look..

fitz288 likes this.
  11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Years ago I restored a beat up 68 slant cab, and did a complete thread on it on the Metro forum, TGP, etc.

Here's the original salt & pepper, still on the baffle board, small staples still in the cloth.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top of 68 slant baffle with new Marshall S&P from CE Distribution laid on top.
    [​IMG]
    Closeup pic of old vs new.
    [​IMG]

Just my opinion, but there's not much difference between 1968 S&P and 2008 S&P cloth.

12. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I'd love to get some of this brown two-tone for my VM 425A. I have not seen anything modern that is close to it. And I've been close to ordering the cane...

[​IMG]

Seanxk and Ruster1 like this.
  13. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

Me too. I almost got one a few months ago, really clean, killer deal, but somebody got to it first (Aaargh!!!).

14. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Well it certainly looks close as presented, so you say it sounds the same too?

15. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

Just a great shot that, why did they go Black lol

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  16. BygoneTones

The whole cab had been painted black. You could only see the original colour on the edges where they hadn't been able to get to. I've had a lot of vintage cabs like that, a lot of people painted them black unfortunately, even the uber rare ones such as tall cabs and pinstripes. Some people just don't see the value in them.

As for old basketweave vs new basketweave there is a bit of a difference in my opinion. The older cloth is denser. Hold it up to the light and you can really see it:

[​IMG]

Splitting hairs maybe, but isn't that what guitarists do when it comes to tone and gear?

You can double layer the modern material to approximate the same density. I've only done it once on a 2x12 but it worked a treat, and the guy who bought it really liked it too.

GIBSON67 and Seanxk like this.
  17. BygoneTones

I don't think it's available, cane would be closest. A few years ago I managed to "make" some from the standard salt and pepper, by hanging it out in the sun and lightly spraying some bleach onto it. Came out OK, but not brilliant, took a few practise runs too if I remember rightly. Too much bleach and it goes pink and yellow. Likely too much agro for most people to do, I was a bit wierd back then lol. Didn't even have a purple cab to put it on, so I slapped it on this monstrosity. The camo covering was already on it - not guilty on that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GIBSON67 likes this.
  18. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

^Wow, that turned out really well if you ask me...now I have something else to think about, doh! Looks better than the cane to me.

19. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

Exactly right.
    One trick you could use is to spray with water and hit with hair dryer... it is said to shrink/tighten it up, though I have not tried myself to confirm. Maybe someone else can chime in. I haven't purchased modern basketweave in several years as I've had a good stock of it. But that certainly looks less dense than mine. Any idea if they changed this recently (past several years?). So much for consistency...

20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

here, in the States, they have that Sun-In stuff, that is a spray on bleach for your hair. I believe it is hydrogen peroxide based bleach...

https://sun-in.com/products/

I've also thought about getting some "grow lights" or UV lights, to age stuff in a closet...

Like pickguards, etc...