Pls help me decide - - which Mojotone 2x12 config for Jubilee

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2555 and planning to get a 2x12. Been talking / emailing with someone at Mojotone who's been fairly helpful and nice to work with. I am considering the following:

Twin Canyon VS. 1936 (their version) - either would be with silver tolex, black grill cloth, silver piping, correct corner guards and rivets, etc.
- any thoughts here? Apparently the Twin Canyon is front ported....

Strongly considering the Mojotone branded BV-30v, their take on the Vintage 30 that some say 'sounds like a broken in V30'... but who really knows. I'm mainly considering to save about $100.

Thoughts / opinions / advice / experiences?

Thank you.

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
Oh, also assuming I would do 16ohm spkrs in parallel, for 8ohm cab. Good call?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 2555 and planning to get a 2x12. Been talking / emailing with someone at Mojotone who's been fairly helpful and nice to work with. I am considering the following:

Twin Canyon VS. 1936 (their version) - either would be with silver tolex, black grill cloth, silver piping, correct corner guards and rivets, etc.
- any thoughts here? Apparently the Twin Canyon is front ported....

Strongly considering the Mojotone branded BV-30v, their take on the Vintage 30 that some say 'sounds like a broken in V30'... but who really knows. I'm mainly considering to save about $100.

Thoughts / opinions / advice / experiences?

Thank you.
Very similar specs and construction, might not be any significant difference in how they sound.
Even with the same tolex and such, the 1936 would look more similar to your Marshall head styling, and costs a few bucks less.
Whether you like the difference, if any, to the sound of one or the other is a matter of personal preference - as is your speaker choice.
Either one is a good quality cabinet.

vtrain

Reaction score
I recently switched from a 1936 style to a custom square/vertical 2x12, and I like it MUCH better. My situation might be much different from yours but I feel like there’s better alignment between the speakers and my ears with the new cab. Just my two cents.

But if you’re set on a horizontal 2x12, I think I’d go with the cheaper option. I also have a Mojotone Canyon 1x12 that I really like but I’m not sure the difference is significant between it and a sealed 1x12.

vtrain

Reaction score
Oh, also assuming I would do 16ohm spkrs in parallel, for 8ohm cab. Good call?

I'm not sure there's a wrong answer here. My thinking is that I'd rather use the entire output transformer rather than just part of it. Also, if you want to run a second cab at some point, chances are you'll be better positioned to do that if you have two 16 ohm cabs.

Arrested Dev

Reaction score
Very helpful comments here. Thx for the direction on 16ohm cab.

I'll probably go horizontal because it looks smaller (wife strategy) and I mainly play sitting in my man cace these days. Thx.

vtrain

Reaction score
Very helpful comments here. Thx for the direction on 16ohm cab.

I'll probably go horizontal because it looks smaller (wife strategy) and I mainly play sitting in my man cace these days. Thx.
I get it. I’m in the same boat but I think proximity to the cab makes a difference here. If you’re only 5 or 10 feet from your cab, the vertical cab directs sound closer to your ears. If you’re farther away, it might not make a difference as much, as a horizontal cab has more room to disperse. It’s the same reason why people tilt back combo amps. In my case, I was able to put my cab on casters and can this theoretically store it in the closet if desired, which helped the wife deal with the cab. I had mine made to custom dimensions and it’s only slightly smaller than a 1960B, so it’s big. But it sounds like the business. If I had more space I’d probably go with a 1960B.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
The cheapest option would be to get a second hand 1936 cab and recover it in silver elephant grain,
that way its a marshall and it will match your head!

corners are the only tricky part of tolexing, the later cabs having corner protectors means that its not an issue, if you not comfortable doing it yourself im sure you can find a local builder who can

vtrain

Reaction score
Have you checked out Sourmash? Their 1936 cab is only $340, compared to Mojotone at $510?

I have three Sourmash headcabs and a 2061CX 2x12 speaker cab. Quality is top notch. 100% Birch ply.

https://sourmashguitarcabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=53

I got my 1936 from Sourmash, and when I replaced it, I got a new cab built by Sourmash. If I have another cab made in the future, it will probably be by Sourmash. They (Bob) are easy to work with even when I have very specific and silly requests. And the cabs are great.

I got my Mojotone Canyon 1x12 when they were still pretty cheap and had free shipping and custom cosmetics with no upcharge.

BRGCobra

Reaction score
I have an Avatar 212 cab loaded with WGS Vet 30 and ET-65 speakers. (That`s what the guys at WGS recommended for a 212)
I`ll admit it sounds pretty damn good.