Please help me find this tone. Thanks!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone!

Could someone please listen to these two songs and advise on how to obtain the guitar tone? Any tips on amps, guitars, effects, etc. would be most helpful as I'm struggling to get it right. Thanks!

Don't Worry About Me - Joey Ramone

Going Under - Oranger

Cal

TheSaz

Reaction score
Johnny used old plexi's an a mosrite guitar mainly.
(Dunno about Joey)

Id imagine something similiar. I admire old punk. The sound for "dont worry about me" to my ears sounds like a plexi having its tubes being pushed. But if anything, a good SD1 going into a 2203 or a clean channel could match it. Or if you have a DSL40C(only one im familiar with bc I own one) red channel, treble, mid, bass at 12 o clock. Low gain(preamp for 2203/JCM, id recommend a 2203 for that pre amp gain stage) but just enough for break up, and play with the prescence. Its possible. Id go with humbuckers in this case, but it does sound twangy like a p90. Go with a set of 9s on strings and you'll get there. Just to recap, minimal gain just scratching the surface to overdrive, keep the EQ neutral but go slightly brigher if you needed. But dont shy away from the bass to back it up, 12 o clock should be plenty

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Happy Sunday everyone!

Could someone please listen to these two songs and advise on how to obtain the guitar tone? Any tips on amps, guitars, effects, etc. would be most helpful as I'm struggling to get it right. Thanks!

Don't Worry About Me - Joey Ramone

Going Under - Oranger

Cal
Thats a straight up plug and play tone, what guitar and amp are you using?

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Thats a straight up plug and play tone, what guitar and amp are you using?
Thanks for your reply! Gibson Les Paul Classic Lite into either Marshall DSL40CR or Origin 20C. Have been trying to get the tone through Boss Blues Driver, Super Overdrive, and Dyna Drive, with or without Feedback Booster but chasing my tail. My band mates and I don’t really like the OD1 and OD2 channels on the DSL while the Origin doesn’t have an OD channel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Johnny used old plexi's an a mosrite guitar mainly.
(Dunno about Joey)

Id imagine something similiar. I admire old punk. The sound for "dont worry about me" to my ears sounds like a plexi having its tubes being pushed. But if anything, a good SD1 going into a 2203 or a clean channel could match it. Or if you have a DSL40C(only one im familiar with bc I own one) red channel, treble, mid, bass at 12 o clock. Low gain(preamp for 2203/JCM, id recommend a 2203 for that pre amp gain stage) but just enough for break up, and play with the prescence. Its possible. Id go with humbuckers in this case, but it does sound twangy like a p90. Go with a set of 9s on strings and you'll get there. Just to recap, minimal gain just scratching the surface to overdrive, keep the EQ neutral but go slightly brigher if you needed. But dont shy away from the bass to back it up, 12 o clock should be plenty
Very helpful! Thanks.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Gibson Les Paul Classic Lite into either Marshall DSL40CR or Origin 20C. Have been trying to get the tone through Boss Blues Driver, Super Overdrive, and Dyna Drive, with or without Feedback Booster but chasing my tail. My band mates and I don’t really like the OD1 and OD2 channels on the DSL while the Origin doesn’t have an OD channel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I'm thinking ORI20, dime the volume and gain on 7 should get you edge of breakup (try this in low watt mode), then set one of the Boss pedals as a clean boost (pedal volume dimed, gain off). Adjust gain on pedal and amp as needed to get that glorious Ramones tone. :yesway:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Go
I'm thinking ORI20, dime the volume and gain on 7 should get you edge of breakup (try this in low watt mode), then set one of the Boss pedals as a clean boost (pedal volume dimed, gain off). Adjust gain on pedal and amp as needed to get that glorious Ramones tone. :yesway:
t it! Thanks again. Greatly appreciate your help.

TheSaz

Reaction score
Not sure how different the voicing is from a DSL40C but id imagine it would ve close

Attachments

• 20221003_094933.jpg
    20221003_094933.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 8

TheSaz

Reaction score
Btw Johnny STARTED by using plexi heads, then sometime in the mid to late 80s he started using JCM800s. But the early Ramone albums, you can bet those were plexi's you were listening too.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Try it and let us know what the outcome is! Good luck! :yesway:
Thank you to everyone for your great advice! We ended up running the guitar straight into the DLS40CR with the Bass, Treble, Mid, and Presence all at noon. Used channel 2 (Classic Gain channel) on the Crunch setting with Gain at 9:00 and MV2 at noon. Sounded awesome! Thanks again to everyone!

Derrick111

Reaction score
Btw Johnny STARTED by using plexi heads, then sometime in the mid to late 80s he started using JCM800s. But the early Ramone albums, you can bet those were plexi's you were listening too.
Not Plexis, they were 70s metal panel Superleads. I've seen them. His sound kind of proves it too.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The story is their gear was stolen on tour and wherever they were all they could get were 2203's so thats when they made the change.