>

Playing again after a hiatus!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Maggot Brain, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Well here strikes insomnia again, I was dead ass tired all day chasing and playing with my 3 year old son, just anticipating and looking forward to his nightly battery crash... He's been asleep like 4 hours and I still can't sleep a wink... anyways time to surf the MF again.

Ok so the past month was a busy one for me and was the first hiatus from guitar in years. I snuck in a few 5 minute sessions on my classical but nothing rock oriented and never picked up my electric.

I finally got some alone time from my son when my sister took him out for some McDonald's (gotta get him caught up on US culture!)..... Wow was it satisfying! I cranked up my Origin20 and grabbed my nearest Strat and just let it pour out. It felt like some kind of catharsis, I wasn't *trying* to play anything rather just hold onto the guitar and let whatever come out, out.

Damn did that 10 minutes feel good! Unfortunately for me they used the drive thru and just as quickly as it happened... it was over. Just as soon as the smell of hot tubes and tolex filled the air, it dissipated and I was back on dad duty.

Anyone else have an experience like this after a hiatus? Anyone else experience hiatuses in their guitar playing?

bobpick68, SkyMonkey, GregM and 6 others like this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Age 22 to 47.
    3 kids.
    2 houses.
    6 jobs.
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

SkyMonkey, Sapient, jmp45 and 3 others like this.
  3. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I have taken hiatus when moving around in my twenties and then also for a couple of years until two years ago. My problem was that I would just noodle around or play to my CDs that I burned with songs that I played while on a band. Learning new things and getting together with another guitar player has kicked up my interest again.

As boring as playing scales to a metronome can be, it for some reason brings out more creativity and definitely helps my chops. I want to start recording again for fun. I bought a Trio + and brought out my old Tascam 4 track. At some point I will go back to a DAW but I want to make sure that I stick with it before buying a new computer just for that.

4. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

nope, I'm not married, and I don't have kids.....but it's important to recharge the "inspiration batteries" once in a while. If you're getting into a rut, this is important. Ways to do this are...listen to new music, learn new songs, get new pedals, go outside your comfort zone.
    Just because you have kids doesn't mean you can't jam out on an amp with headphones at night or something. Also, get a looper to play to backing tracks, then layer it. This is a great practice tool but it very fun, especially when using different effects on different layers. Be sure to use a metronome though as it can be easy to wander in time when laying down things, and it becomes much more apparent on repeats....
    You can also mimic other instruments with effects to add to it, such as making your guitar sound like a bass, or using a synthesizer, or percussive effects. This should jolt your creativity.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

yep and thinking about taking another one.

Sapient, jmp45 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Not due to kids just the chinese virus to some degree.

Ive been rehearsing the past 6 months and we just did 3 mini gigs with a few other bands and it was sooo much fun. Hopefully things keep going in the right direction! It felt good!

SkyMonkey and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Do as I do. I'm 100% no fixin it night owl. So I play with my kid then go to work evenings then after she's asleep I do my rehearsing. Then after a couple months of lack of sleep you get up to pee and you collapse in the bathroom and puke your guts out.
    But I've been keepin my chops up tho:agreed::rolleyes:

8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

your a good sport. :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Sg-ocaster

Thanks it takes determination.....but i managed to finish as not to pee on my feet be for laying on the floor:applause:
    Ok not that determined I had to cancel band rehearsal that day.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have taken 2 in September of 83-89
    Then 93 through 2007.
    Right now I have no new material bouncing around in my head, so I am not playing as much as I was 2 years ago.
    I have no one around me to go and jam with, but I haven’t stopped looking.
    Cheers
    Mitch

11. AtomicRob

AtomicRob Active Member

I have a young daughter so the late night gigs or rehearsals aren't really an option right now. But she does enjoy listening to music, singing along sometimes, randomly switching things on the pedalboard, etc.

Probably the biggest change is that I've had to become a singer and learn a lot of songs. In order to keep a child's attention you really have to sing. Random guitar noodling won't cut it for more than about 10 seconds ("Dad, play a real song!")

On the plus side it's a good way to grow as a musician, playing and singing and having it sound half decent is definitely harder than just playing...

Mitchell Pearrow and tallcoolone like this.
  12. Sg-ocaster

I hear ya Im thinking on putting chords to "Baby Shark" so I can sing and play it for my daughter.
    I did however attempt to sing it to her Iron Maiden style........she didnt get it.:shrug:

AtomicRob and Mitchell Pearrow like this.