Played a trick on my boutique amp snob friend

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Thing is before the latest update on my Helix it was the same for me. The latest one pushed it over the top. I dont know exactly what they did but I was on the beta testing team and I noticed it right away. The feel is there too now. I played (and still do) through tube amps for 35 years. Everything is there now. The feel, the dynamics. Matter of fact it does some of it better than my tube amps now.
Hmmmm....I'm still skeptical, but I'll try to keep an open mind. :hmm: I'd love to be able to use something light and leave me tube amps at home. That'd be great for my bad back!

Like many others, I think the sound quality is pretty darned good these days, but the *thump* isn't there for me.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear a goatee. A goatee is considered one form of beard.
View attachment 95856

Apparently there's a whole bunch of different beard styles. It's a bit too "metro-sexuall" for me to get into the differing styles, but in case you're interested :
Top 27 Different Types of Beards: Best Beard Styles & Ideas (2021 Guide) (menshairstylestoday.com)

(and no, I'm not trying to suggest you might be one of those metro type dudes)

You never know, I could be a 3ft tall midget tranny with big ol' tits like the bumper guards on a '57 Buick and a ZZ Top set of whiskers.

dro

Reaction score
I know that digital has come a long way. Have heard some major acts that I grew up with, through the 70's. Groups who used big stacks. Plural. Walls of real loaded cabs.
Then seeing them some 40-50 years later. Guitar tones,, obviously direct didn't have the same oomph. Was it the Digital? Was it the mix? Who knows? But it was crap.
That said. I never heard a Helix that I'm aware of. I'm sure it would have to do with the type of guitar tones you are after. Everybody has their own idea of good tone. Mine tone is best. And your tone sucks.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Crikey

Reaction score
Love that story. take a line out of Bob Dylans How does it Feel,” Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud”

your buddy is questioning his ears now and all his preconceptions. Turnabout is fair play

Crikey

Reaction score
I have a Fractal modelling amp (Axe-FX II) and I love it. But it doesn't duplicate what my Marshalls do, or any other of my "real" tube amps. It's close and you'd probably never know the difference in a band setting, but when you're in a quiet room with no other sound sources or distractions, you can feel the difference in how the two types interact with you as you play.

And that's an obsolescent modelling amp. Yesterday's news. Newer ones are assumed to be even better.

It'd be a shame if new modellers WEREN'T really good. They get more refined with every new generation of product, and the day is coming where NOBODY will be able to reliably tell the difference between the new modeller and the old classic tube amp of your choice. We may already be there.

That being said, I like plugging into my Marshalls, Fenders, and Boogies. I'm not looking to sell any of them.
Welp, unless i just havent seen it, there is still do much disparity between patches. Ive never seen anyone but a tweaker able to set thrm up correctly. Until a unit has an auto level control for all patches, they fall woefully short. Imo