Pizza Rant.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
ok guys ive got a pizza rant.

ok, so, i order a pizza tonight from a place thats usually pretty damn good ok.
been going here for several yrs with no hard complaints.
my order is 1 lg pizza, pep, chicken, bacon toppings. i get there and get my pizza
and off to the car i go. as usual im gonna have a slice for the road. i open the pizza and
noticed 3 small piece's of chicken and im kinda surprised. so i look closer and there
is literally 2 pieces of bacon bits.
so i take the pizza back in. i explain to the girl that there is no bacon on my pizza.
she proceeds to point out the 2 pieces of bacon. i laughed and told her that wasnt gonna fly.
she goes to the back and talks with the "cook" she comes back and tells me the bacon is
under the cheese. i said ok cool. i leave the store and get to the car. something dinged
and i pulled the cheese off of 1 slice. no bacon.

i go back in the store and told her there was no bacon. so here comes the cook.
asking me what the problem was. i opened the box and showed him there was no bacon.
he says its under the cheese. so i told him to look as i pulled the cheese off the next slice
showing him no bacon. he snatches the box pissed and tells me if he has to recook the pizza
that he WILL NOT be putting as much cheese on the pizza and storms off.

i said hold on a minute and he keeps walking away ignoring me. i told the girl i wanted my money back.
she states she cant do that. i told her she damn well better. i asked her where the manager was. she
told me they were running the other store and would not be there tonight. i said so there is no manager,
she said no.

ok i said well somebody needs to refund my money. so she goes and gets the cook again. hes really pissed now.
i told him i wanted my money back and he said I TOLD YOU THE BACON WAS UNDER THE CHEESE.
i told him well you need to get the manager on the phone. I AM THE MANAGER he said. i said well
she just told me there was no manager on duty so now suddenly we have a manager? he starts farting with the credit
card machine. tells me hes gonna credit back my card. i told him had he just put the bacon on te pizza
we wouldnt be in this situation. i reminded him that i showed him there was no bacon under the cheese.
he said yeah had you not done that i could have resold that pizza. (so a customer leave with a pizza and
brings it back in 5 minutes later your gonna resell that pizza????)

i asked him what the problem was with the credit card machine. he said he didnt know the codes to make
it refund. i said "and your the manager and dont know how to do refunds?" he said it may go through and it might not.
i said well how are you gonna know? he said check your account. i said you should know right now if it worked or not.
i told him i tried to work it out but you continued to walk away as i was trying to talk to you and i know you heard me.
he said well i got pizzas in the oven and i gotta get them out. and said yeah and ignored the customer standing in front
of you by walking off. he turns and walks off again. so i left. dont know if i got my cash and tip back yet or not.
i have a good mind to go talk to the managers tomorrow on all of this ESPECIALLY telling me about how he could resell the pizza
had i not pulled the toppings off 2 slices. thats not a good way to do business and damn sure not health code
to do such a thing. so, how would you guys handle this if you were in my shoes?

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

my order is 1 lg pizza, pep, chicken, bacon toppings. i get there and get my pizza
and off to the car i go. as usual im gonna have a slice for the road. i open the pizza and
noticed 3 small piece's of chicken and im kinda surprised. so i look closer and there
so i take the pizza back in. i explain to the girl that there is no bacon on my pizza.
she proceeds to point out the 2 pieces of bacon. i laughed and told her that wasnt gonna fly.
she goes to the back and talks with the "cook" she comes back and tells me the bacon is
under the cheese. i said ok cool. i leave the store and get to the car. something dinged

asking me what the problem was. i opened the box and showed him there was no bacon.
he says its under the cheese. so i told him to look as i pulled the cheese off the next slice
showing him no bacon. he snatches the box pissed and tells me if he has to recook the pizza

i said hold on a minute and he keeps walking away ignoring me. i told the girl i wanted my money back.
she states she cant do that. i told her she damn well better. i asked her where the manager was. she
told me they were running the other store and would not be there tonight. i said so there is no manager,
she said no.

ok i said well somebody needs to refund my money. so she goes and gets the cook again. hes really pissed now.
i told him i wanted my money back and he said I TOLD YOU THE BACON WAS UNDER THE CHEESE.
i told him well you need to get the manager on the phone. I AM THE MANAGER he said. i said well
she just told me there was no manager on duty so now suddenly we have a manager? he starts farting with the credit
card machine. tells me hes gonna credit back my card. i told him had he just put the bacon on te pizza
we wouldnt be in this situation. i reminded him that i showed him there was no bacon under the cheese.
he said yeah had you not done that i could have resold that pizza. (so a customer leave with a pizza and

i asked him what the problem was with the credit card machine. he said he didnt know the codes to make
it refund. i said "and your the manager and dont know how to do refunds?" he said it may go through and it might not.
i said well how are you gonna know? he said check your account. i said you should know right now if it worked or not.
i told him i tried to work it out but you continued to walk away as i was trying to talk to you and i know you heard me.
he said well i got pizzas in the oven and i gotta get them out. and said yeah and ignored the customer standing in front
of you by walking off. he turns and walks off again. so i left. dont know if i got my cash and tip back yet or not.
i have a good mind to go talk to the managers tomorrow on all of this ESPECIALLY telling me about how he could resell the pizza
had i not pulled the toppings off 2 slices. thats not a good way to do business and damn sure not health code

Screenshot_20210729-193952~01~01.png

Vinsanitizer

I'M ON A MEXICAN RADIO
VIP Member
Reaction score
Please allow me to indulge, it took me 6 hours to type all this out in the dark because I was too lazy to get up and turn the light on, (although I had to go to the bathroom halfway through, so I had to turn the light on anyway :mad:):

I have long suspected very shady things going on with restaurants. Some things you may find out about, most you won't, and all of them would probably surprise if not shock you. In Rick's case, if this is the highest standard of quality service rearing its ugly head at this food shop, imagine what the kitchen, freezer and storage area looks like in the back where you'll never see. Dropping food on the floor and picking it back up and using it are the least of your worries. The fact that they would even openly consider re-selling a pizza which they didn't care enough to properly prepare for a customer - the very customer who pays every one of their business and personal bills - is telling of far more than I would need to know about their practices to never even drive by the place again if I could avoid it. This wasn't a case of forgetfulness or a mistake or even a bad day, it was a complete and total expression about a business who doesn't care about themselves let alone their customers. That business isn't likely to be around for very long. If your town is like mine, man, we've got a pizza shop every 1/10th of a mile - last count was 16 pizza shops in a 2 mile radius. In one nearby town 6 miles away, the village main street literally has 5 "Italian Style" pizza shops, all of which are several doors down from each other. There's a lot of competition.

I had a very similar, though positive, experience long ago: I was sitting in a booth with a coworker waiting for our "2-slice pizza lunch" to arrive, when the waitress accidentally set the food for one table down in front of the customers at the wrong table. The manager was there in a snap, and I heard him tell the waitress "we have to throw it out: once you set it down on the table it has to be thrown out". Now THAT is a heck of a good policy, and that business has been handed down for generations. However, I feel this is the exception with eateries, and not the rule.

Conversely, my wife and I were at a local summer tourist town having some fun shopping one day, and we walked into a new Mexican restaurant. It was one of those narrow but deep shops common in cities. It was 11:00am and there were no customers there (odd for a tourist town). We sat down near the door and it took a while for a waitress to bring us some salsa chips and take our order. After we ordered we were waiting quite a while, when all of a sudden, way down toward the back of the store we saw and heard the "manager/owner" yelling at his 3 young employees, berating them and threatening their jobs and just being completely rude to them. It was a scene impossible to ignore. It kinda freaked me out a bit, and I thought "do I really want to eat the food they're serving here?". The answer was clearly No, so we stood up and walked out.

I don't trust restaurants and food eateries much anymore. I'm highly selective, and even then very critical if I see one thing amiss. I quit ordering "Friday night deliveries" around the time I joined this forum because stories I'd hear or read about just started creeping me out, about what drivers can do with your food on the way to your house. Besides, where I live, to get a simple 8-cut pizza & 10 hot wings plus tax and a tip, we're looking at a $25-$30 bill. They're all fighting to keep from raising their prices b/c of the competition, so they cheapen the product (candy bars, I heard, recently dropped in size again by 20%. They look "bite size" now compared to the huge ones I'd get as a kid). These days you can get a really good frozen pizza for like $8-$12, and cook it faster than any delivery can get one to your door.

I find, in general, that people of all vocations who don't derive some sort of self-pride from what they do should just find something else to do. Every one of us has to serve somebody. And our test for success is whether or not the people we serve are happy, NOT whether WE think we've done a "good enough" job. If your customers are unhappy and you don't care, then you have no value and your customers will just go somewhere else.

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
(so a customer leave with a pizza and
THIS is EXACTLY what happened in my outing!
One cold Winter as I recall, I ordered the pizza for pickup, and when I got there (already ten minutes after the estimated time to prepare the order for take-out), it turned into another five minutes.
WHY!?. because they gave MY pizza to another party, and here comes back MY pizza from the other party, walking back in. I'm standing at the cash counter where the customer hands back the pizza and says that this is not what he ordered, and they go back to the kitchen, find his (cold-by-now) pizza, hands it to him. Says thanks, and on their merry way to enjoy their pizza after their inconvenience.
In that exchange the OWNER hands me the pizza that the customer just brought back and without missing a beat as he is handing me that same pizza, and says here you go.
I literally threw the pizza back at him and told him and his business practice to f-off. Loud enough so everyone could hear.
This went out the door all-the-way to some unknowns house, comes back with it, and just hands off the pizza as business-as-usual? He did not bother to apologize for the mixup (and probably thinking I did not know what just happened since it was a busy evening), and expected me to get my pizza and everything would be O.K.
bahbye..:sadwave:

PelliX

Reaction score
I order food regularly, but I have it delivered. By the time I notice an error, the delivery guy is already hitting MACH 1 or whatever they drive at. Plenty of cock-ups in this business. Let's look at this bit by bit.

So you got something resembling your order, but still wrong. If you had eaten the pizza, tough luck, the joke's on you. However, you returned and pointed out the error. The employees seem 'off', to put it mildly (nobody in charge? Not your problem. Impolite cook? Well, he's not paid to be agreeable, neither is being an arsehole forbidden, let's forget that part). If you value their food in the sense that you will be eating (from) there again, yes, reach out to the manager the next day. I'd drop by - do it in person. Be polite, you have the moral high ground after all.

If you feel fine about simply avoiding them, well... lesson learned. Check that you got your money back and if not pay them a last visit or as DoD said, get your money back via the bank.

Long story short, they owe(d) you the price of the pizza (and you mentioned a tip). Remember that they didn't make the initial mistake on purpose, but handled everything from there on really poorly. I've had my share of messed up orders, and generally (being a complete omnivore), I'll eat whatever I get as I'm hungry. If it's really messed up, completely stone cold, half missing, that kind of thing, I'll reach out.

Always ask yourself 'is this worth getting worked up about?'. Nine times out of ten, when it comes to food, my answer is no - but that's just me.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Sounds like they were swamped and running out of supplies, while being mismanaged through that period.

If you like the pizza you should go there face to face with the owner/real manager early in their work day. Inform him/her of what happened about the food and what you were told etc. Leave the money out of it - if you were refunded. Include that you took your time and effort to get the pizza and then left without one. See if they respond in a way that makes you feel your effort to inform them is not wasted. Then I would wait a week or two to let them get new personnel before making another purchase.

Remember places like this are struggling from the Pandemic, hard to keep employees right now.

Of course if it all sounds like a waste of your time then just find another pizza joint. Certainly being vindictive and out for revenge is a waste of your time.

don550

Reaction score
1, I would call the bank and dispute the charges

2. Post your experience on every local review board, google, etc

3. Tell all you local friends in you neighborhood…

That cook is a total idiot and not only a douche bag but a fool who will loose business over a pizza… if I told any of my friends that I knew that my local pizza joint was half as bad as you described they sure as hell would never spend their money in classless business and you’d be surprised how many visitors to a city actually read restaurant reviews..

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

she said no.

Its 12 cents worth of ingredients and 10 minutes in the oven, all this grief and aggrevation for nothing:facepalm:

You just cant fix stupid...

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Remember places like this are struggling from the Pandemic, hard to keep employees right now.

Not per se. Those that were already specialized (or focussed) in/on pick-up and delivery may have seen a slight uptick in business due to regular restaurants being closed or restricted ad nauseum. I won't explain how, but I have very, very good insight into that part of the market. Other factors like supply chains, regulations for employees and so on often curb(ed) a large chunk of that profit margin, but it's not as black and white as one might assume.

1, I would call the bank and dispute the charges

2. Post your experience on every local review board, google, etc

3. Tell all you local friends in you neighborhood…

1: If the pizza place fails to sort this out, very much yes.

2, 3: Maybe the cook was temp guy because the real 'chef' was off? One fudged order/situation is hardly a track record. Give the owner a fair chance to set this right, first. Maybe the guy will understand, apologize and give Rick a free pizza together with his money back? Would that make it around the neighborhood and to the review boards, too? Everyone makes mistakes - how they deal with them is what defines them as a person or business. Have you never treated anyone unfairly and apologized later on after looking back and thinking "gee, that was uncalled for"? :shrug:

If Rick gets 'stonewalled' and the situation is not rectified, sure, but we're talking about a pizza here, not murder.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

she said no.

Unfortunately, there are people everywhere that just don't know how to do the right thing.
1645366434297.png
I live near a great pizza shop - right down the hill, I can see it from my window as I type this...
They once gave me the wrong pizza.
Ordered my usual XL peperoni & banana pepper.
Picked it up 'cause it's way faster than delivery, got home, opened the box and looked down on ham, green peppers and onions.
Gotta be my 3 least favorite toppings combined into what I would consider the worst pizza I could think of.
Called, explained what I was looking at, and was immediately offered a new pizza, delivered ASAP.
I said thanks, I'll bring this strange thing I have back down the hill and pick up what I ordered.
Got there to a round of apologies from everyone in the shop.
They had my correct pizza done in no time, and offered to give me the pizza like abomination that I was returning, because they said it will have to be thrown away if I don't want it.
Good service and smart people are sometime hard to find.
I appreciate it when I happen to stumble across it.

junk notes

Reaction score
Humbly,
Several days ago, I waited for my order to be completed after receiving my drink at a drive through. I was told to pull up to the waiting spot as they will shortly bring out the rest of my order. In the review mirror four cars had passed me by with completed orders. The original cashier, and after 15 minutes of waiting for a burger fries drink combo, finally comes out and says you're waiting for you're order, right?
Another couple minutes, another person comes out and hands me the bag and says that there is a coupon for so & so and apologized for the wait.
I wanted to tell her thanks for coming out here in the cold to give me the rest of the order, but refrained. I rather say nothing than a disparaging word, and understood it could have been myself as a young person - than hearing a middle-aged-man scream at the clouds.. Anyway I looked to see what the coupon was for, that they had given me for the inconvenience, and it was nothing that I would want to eat from their menu. Oh well.

junk notes

Reaction score
For those home-cooked pies, no Mozzarella

1ce1b5bfb667ffca90ae857bdcf6088e.jpg

Scamorza for the win! You will need a pair of skizzors!

PelliX

Reaction score
This is the wage slave work slowdown . If you can’t throw some bacon on a pizza what can you do . all that manager had to do is put some bacon on and throw it in the oven . you Get better service when you go locally owned

Who said it's not locally owned? The manager wasn't there, apparently the cook was in charge. We can assume that at least 9 out of 10 orders will be correct, also taking into consideration that Rick has apparently been a customer there for years with no hard complaints as he stated earlier. I mean this in the best of ways; at least read was stated first.

Look at how @fitz288 's and @junk notes ' problems were handled - that's where the difference is - not in screwing up an order in the first place. People make mistakes. I challenge anyone to show me an exception to that rule.

Latest posts