Pimping my 1965A cab

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Fernieite, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Fernieite

Fernieite Active Member

Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed, I'm in the process of changing a few things on my 4x10 cab.

1. Going to replace the stock black grill cloth with Marshall large check.
    2. Going to replace the stock plastic handles with the same size Scumback metal ones.
    3. Going to replace the stock internal speaker wires with red and black twisted, and solder the wires to the terminals instead of using the stock spade connectors.

Question: Do you have any recommendations for cleaning the speaker tab terminals, prior to soldering? I imagine the 30 plus years terminals have some oxidation on them.
    - Should I just use some contact cleaner on a q-tip perhaps?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Kim Lucky Day, JParry335 and fitz288 like this.
  2. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Contact cleaner, isopropyl alcohol, perhaps some very fine sandpaper even depending on how bad the corrosion is. But why solder directly? Why not keep the 'easy solution' in case you want to replace or change something? If the spade connectors or tabs, whatever you want to call them, are in good shape and you properly crimp new connectors on your new wires, you should have just as good a contact, electrically speaking... :shrug: A bad solder joint can crack when exposed to sufficient knocking about. A tight spade connector generally won't. YMMV, of course.

JParry335, Fernieite and fitz288 like this.
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Gold Supporting Member

My Marshall and my home build cabs all have spade connectors, and I've changed speakers in most of them at least once.
    I don't haul them around to gigs or anything like that, and I've never had an issue with a loose wire or bad connection.

JParry335, PelliX and Fernieite like this.
  4. Fernieite

Fernieite Active Member

Thanks guys. I won't be changing the stock speakers, and I just like the idea of a solder joint.

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

I HAVE had spade connectors vibrate off , so it's not a bad idea . Dont use too much heat

Fernieite and JParry335 like this.