Pickups , what and why ?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
So just to kick it around , how clever is Seymour Duncan to do a article about P.A.F’s ?
Anyhow I get to the newer APH-2 Slash pickup and I like the sound. Not a Slash tone chaser but it delivers on video.

Last edited:

Ken Ops

Reaction score
OK, not sure I follow as to what exactly this is all about, but I’ll just chime in anyway with a question that comes to mind...

I’ve been thinking about buying a PAF set for my LP copy, and was wondering what difference wax potting makes.

clutch71

Reaction score
OK, not sure I follow as to what exactly this is all about, but I’ll just chime in anyway with a question that comes to mind...

I’ve been thinking about buying a PAF set for my LP copy, and was wondering what difference wax potting makes.

Wax potting makes it less prone to feedback. Early PAF's were not wax potted.

Seymour Duncan makes solid/affordable pickups. I am fond of Alnico 2 so just because Slash's name is associated with them, it would not keep me away.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score

Most people avoid potting with PAFs, unless there is a need, because of stage volume or very high gain. For example, if your playing a JVM on the overdrive channels you need potted pickups. But in most cases potting a PAF detracts from the airy-ness that is part of a good PAF. The Dimarzio 36th's don't squeal but sound like a good PAF, so something like that is what you can use in that type of situation.

If you don't have a problem with feedback then non potted is more authentic-at least in theory

pedecamp

Reaction score
I know. Does it change the overall tonal qualities?
People will argue it does and doesnt, but with that said you dont have to wax pot a pickup I saw a technique online where you put a piece of tape over the top of the pickup and dabs of silicone then put the cover back on, you get the same result without wax potting, I tried it myself and it works fine.

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
So just to kick it around , how clever is Seymour Duncan to do a article about P.A.F’s ?
Anyhow I get to the newer APH-2 Slash pickup and I like the sound. Not a Slash tone chaser but it delivers on video.

I converted to PAF type humbucking pickups years ago. I like the picking dynamics and the versatility of tones from adjusting the guitar volume. Also more a 3D tonal aspect to my ears. I now find most ceramic magnet pickups harsh and one dimensional. I only have one guitar with a high output humbucker (with alnico magnet) in it now.

gregr

Reaction score
Just to be clear, the APH-1 and -2 are not P.A.F. style pickups.

If you want a P.A.F. style pickup with an A2 from Seymour Duncan, you either get a Seth Lover, Pearly Gates, or change out the magnet in a 59.

ampeq

Reaction score
If you really want a great set of PAF pup's do yourself a favor, call Lindy Fralin. His "Pure PAF" pup's are the best all around pup's I have ever used. I think Throbak pup's are very good also but I have never really gone through them. (And they cost a fortune.) You can talk to Lindy, nice guy and knows his stuff.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I've no idea what real PAFs sound like, but I put a set of Bareknuckle Mules in my Epiphone LP and rewired it with new metal braided wire, CTS 500K pots and orange drop caps...it sounds great. I've also got a set of 36th Anniversary pickups that I tried in my SG Standard, but I ended up putting the 61T/R back in and prefer them in that guitar. No idea if any of those are potted, but don't seem to have problems with feedback even at loud gig levels.

I do remember that originally the Epiphone was quite warm sounding and only really had any kind of brightness with brand new strings. At the time I only had this LP and a Strat, so just thought that's how LPs were. These days with the BKs or 61T/R I can get a really clear tone if I want it and if I do want it a bit smoother, I've changed the tone caps to 0.022uF bridge and 0.015uF neck so I have a bit more control of them.

The Mules have aged nicely too with use. I think they are about 5 years old now and at current prices I wouldn't buy them now (and I am in the UK). Can't believe they are over £300 a pair now. :eek: The guitar only cost £285 in 1995. :)

Excuse for a photo though:
Post refret 1.jpg

Never seen, but I think this bit is quite important too...good soldered joints, selected pots for the value nearest 500k and the metal braided wire just makes me feel good if I'm honest.

Control panel after.jpg

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want a great set of PAF pup's do yourself a favor, call Lindy Fralin. His "Pure PAF" pup's are the best all around pup's I have ever used. I think Throbak pup's are very good also but I have never really gone through them. (And they cost a fortune.) You can talk to Lindy, nice guy and knows his stuff.

AMEN! I have three sets of Lindy's pickups, two Pure PAF's, different outputs, and one set of Sunbucker Blues.

Adieu

Reaction score

Summary: we call them different names, but ALL our neck pickups except the Distortion/BW and the Invader are minute variations on the same thing.

Yours truly, SD

PS please buy them all anyway, happy holidays suckers

gregr

Reaction score
You might need to get those ears checked.

Seth Lover
Pearly Gates
Jazz
Full Shred

These all sound quite different from one another. The first three are wound on the very machine that made the Patent Applied For pickups.

Throw an A2 in a Jazz and you have an APH-1 which is different still. I suspect you can throw an A2 in a 59 and get a potted Seth. They would never admit this if it were true.

There is also the SNS and WLH. Guess what, they sound different from the rest. I’m not sure if they are something else but with just a magnet swap, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Just to be clear, the APH-1 and -2 are not P.A.F. style pickups.

If you want a P.A.F. style pickup with an A2 from Seymour Duncan, you either get a Seth Lover, Pearly Gates, or change out the magnet in a 59.
Well you Gregr you shot the messenger.
I merely repeated what they wrote. The pickups are a little hotter:

Seymour Duncan PAF-Style Pickups

gregr

Reaction score
Point me to the authors and I’ll shoot some more, lol. APH-1/-2 are “vintage” output, yes, but they don’t sound like a PAF regardless of what the millennial marketers at SD might think or have you believe.

Last edited:

RobS

Reaction score
I've no idea what real PAFs sound like, but I put a set of Bareknuckle Mules in my Epiphone LP and rewired it with new metal braided wire, CTS 500K pots and orange drop caps...it sounds great. I've also got a set of 36th Anniversary pickups that I tried in my SG Standard, but I ended up putting the 61T/R back in and prefer them in that guitar. No idea if any of those are potted, but don't seem to have problems with feedback even at loud gig levels.

I do remember that originally the Epiphone was quite warm sounding and only really had any kind of brightness with brand new strings. At the time I only had this LP and a Strat, so just thought that's how LPs were. These days with the BKs or 61T/R I can get a really clear tone if I want it and if I do want it a bit smoother, I've changed the tone caps to 0.022uF bridge and 0.015uF neck so I have a bit more control of them.

The Mules have aged nicely too with use. I think they are about 5 years old now and at current prices I wouldn't buy them now (and I am in the UK). Can't believe they are over £300 a pair now. :eek: The guitar only cost £285 in 1995. :)

Excuse for a photo though:
View attachment 99446

Never seen, but I think this bit is quite important too...good soldered joints, selected pots for the value nearest 500k and the metal braided wire just makes me feel good if I'm honest.

View attachment 99447

I notice the caps are soldered on the tone pot only. What difference does this make compared to the wiring Gibson use where the cap is soldered from the volume pot across to the tone pot?
Nice clean wiring by the way !

Latest posts