Pickups for my Strat

Crikey

Reaction score
Hey guys
I’ve got a 22 year older standard Strat. Maple Neck and finger board, alder body, Three single coils. Back in 2004 I swapped out the bridge pickup with a Dmarzzio DP404 which is a double wound single coil that is close to a P-90. I play rock n roll, blues, a little jazz. I’m looking for a couple new pick ups for the middle and neck position. Here’s what I’m looking for

1. Noisless
2. Some what balanced
3. Maybe a little higher output but that’s not necessarily high on my list.

I’m looking for something that can get in the realm of Hendrix, Clapton, SRV (not looking for Tex Mex style), Gilmore, Blackmore etc…

Not looking for active pick ups either.

I came across a brand called Kinman, and they seem to have some things that are cool but their website is super difficult to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !
Texas specials

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I have no experience with noiseless single coils. I'm wondering if there is a reason to avoid Fender's own version. They are made for the Strat and have been standard product in their top-of-the-line models for a long time.

Not against using Fender Noiseless pick ups. I recently played a American Standard with noiselsss pick ups through a JTM45 and I almost had a unauthorized discharge in my pants because that’s the sound I’m going for So that might be the route I end up taking.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Tex-mex. hotter than average but not harsh like Texas Specials. Best strat pickups ever imo, and affordable.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Lace Sensor pick ups are active pickups. Not looking for that type of pick up. But thanks for the comment.
They can also be wired passively as a regular single coil Strat pickup as well . I know as I have used this in the past and worked very well .

gregr

Reaction score
They can also be wired passively as a regular single coil Strat pickup as well . I know as I have used this in the past and worked very well .
They have a pair of wires from the coil and all but the early ones have another wire that’s connected to the plate for a ground shield. The pickup is 100% passive.

I think people think they’re active because there aren’t any visible pole pieces. As it so happens there aren’t any pole pieces, but this is beside the point.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I pulled my guitar out with the Bill and Becky L280 pickups last night.

They sounded authentic, traditional, strat, but without the noise. And these were not the latest of Bill's designs. What Bill had achieved just before his passing are probably even better.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think people think they’re active because there aren’t any visible pole pieces. As it so happens there aren’t any pole pieces, but this is beside the point.
I think it's the hi-fi compressed sound they produce...

mike58

Reaction score
Kinman will give you what you are after. Noiseless , yep, sl increase in output , yep. Balanced to match your bridge pickup, yep.
They do a Woodstock Plus set which are AVn-69 neck and middle paired with their Hx-85 bridge which sound P90 ish.
You state your own bridge does the P90 thing, so the obvious choice is a pair of AVn-69s… problem solved.
If the Kinman site is difficult to navigate just search on the folk who sell the Woodstock Plus set and you will get a clear description of their specs and tones etc.
I have Kinman Blues set in my Strat based on their AVn-62 pickups and they are top class. Not cheap , but awesome if you can afford them.

Adieu

Reaction score
Fender noiseless pups suck

The good ones are oldskool "noisies"