pickguard poll

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by 66 galaxie, Aug 5, 2015.

?

Pg or no pg

1. Yes, pickguard is good

32 vote(s)
    60.4%
  2. no, pickguard is bad

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ----------------------------- Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

The pickguard stays.
    The guitar will be named Phaedrus.
    It is so.

2. Bownse

Bownse Well-Known Member

Chrome or carbon fiber pg.

3. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

I was going to post the same poll, but it already exists.

To me pickguards/scratch plates serve no useful purpose. They make about as much sense as fake window shutters on a house.

4. jcm800gridlock

jcm800gridlock Well-Known Member

It looks like a Tele with the pickguard and a beautiful Telecaster.

5. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I play with my pinky finger on the body so they do serve a purpose for people who play that way.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  6. IOSEPHVS

Nothing on my picking hand is ever anchored to the guitar body. The perceived "purpose it serves" is in reality limiting your playing ability. I started out being self-taught, and I used to do the same thing with various parts of my hand on various parts of the guitar. When I started formal training, my classical guitar professor told me not to do it, and explained why.

7. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

:scratch:

I like the way they look on some guitars, other guitars look better without them.
    Sort of like bras on women.

8. RCM 800

Man I guess Page and Slash and Yngwie and a thousand other pro players didnt get the message lol.

9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Aint that the truth!

10. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Yngwie doesn't necessarily plant his hand...

Hendrix though...

Mitchell Pearrow and RCM 800 like this.
  11. IOSEPHVS

It's the same as keeping your left wrist straight, palm parallel to the fretboard, and thumb behind the neck. Sometimes it's easier to not do these things, but there are reasons for them. Sure, a lot of professionals don't use proper technique, but they are limiting their performance ability by not doing so. You can usually tell a classically trained guitarist, even those that also play popular music, and those who are not by watching them play. Although, Brad Whitford is an exception.

Actually, Malmsteen did get the message, but does something odd. He kind of wraps his little finger back over the top of his ring finger, which brushes across the pickguard sometimes, but he doesn't anchor it to the guitar. He also keeps his left wrist straight, and his palm parallel to the neck. He does wrap his thumb over the top of the neck sometimes. For the most part, his technique is very good. I think he's let himself get a little lax since he started playing rock. Randy Rhoads had excellent technique: right hand free, left wrist straight, palm parallel, and thumb behind neck. You can tell he had great instruction, and he applied the knowledge. I don't know if Keith Richards was classically trained, but he also has very good technique except that he likes to wrap his thumb over the top when soloing for some reason. His right hand almost never comes in contact with the guitar. Page has horrible technique, and it really showed when I saw Zeppelin in '77. I was very disappointed. Maybe he was jacked up on something; maybe it was just a bad night. It's one of the least favorite concerts I have attended. Saul Hudson? No comment.

I guess what I'm saying is that we can strive to be a good, really good, or great guitarist. Proper technique is a tool that is there to help make us better. Check out Ana Vidovic, one if the most accomplished guitarists on the planet. Her technique is flawless:

RCM 800 likes this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

she also doesn't use a pick...

She also doesn't use any wide vibrato, or bends, which is a good argument for thumb over the neck sometimes...

13. RCM 800

I get what youre saying but IMO the players who strayed out of their lane are the ones who made the biggest contributions to the art of guitar especially rock and roll guitar. There are players like Steve Vai who is completely technically proficient and can play anything at about any speed but the only stuff I like that he's done is when he dumbed it down to play with DLR lol.

14. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

no pickguard. the color is way to pretty to add some plastic

15. MarshallDog

Who the hell cares if they are using "proper technique" or not as long as they are great and getting it done? All the pros are probably using some type of none "proper technique" but I would say it works for them obviously. EVH probably didn't use "proper technique" all the time either :shock: enough said there and what makes classic guitar technique the end all be all to guitar playing?? IMO everyone has their own techniques and thats what works for them...as long as one does not have some bad habit that really just does not work for guitar playing. Thats like saying all painters have to conform to one style/technique, its an art and so is playing guitar and whatever works, works.

Oh and many great players use the thumb over the neck to fret the low two strings which allows their other fingers to do amazing chord work unlike the "proper baring" of a chord.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  16. fitz288

17. MarshallDog

:agreed::applause:

ricksdisconnected and fitz288 like this.
  18. MarshallDog

And she has the guitar tucked up under her chin about as far as possible :ugh:

19. IOSEPHVS

Who cares if I use proper technique? I do. Do I care if you use proper technique? Unless I am teaching or evaluating you, no.

Back on topic, Ana Vidovic doesn't have a pickguard/scratch plate on her guitars.

20. fitz288

:shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.