Pick up reviews...the ultimate snake oil. Until my dog can talk I,m takin' their word for it.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
It's all about preference and experience. It's all about the tone you are looking for. And also the right combo. For example the same pickup might sound totally different if you use a 500k or a 250k pot. Some people are impressed by gain, some people just prefer let the amp do the job and let the pickup do its minimum required.
What sounds good for you might sound average for others. Think about the Gibson 490t, for some people is bad, for some people is the best pickup ever. The best way to spend your money is to compare different pickups yourself, and keep them, because in the future you might change taste and ridiscover what you ignored before.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pickup materials are not particularly exotic. Supposedly cheaper stuff like ceramic magnets can be spectacular in a properly constructed pup. The ones that command the big bucks certainly earned that right - they sound consistently great, as long as they fit the style you're shooting for. But there's no real magic to them. There are $22 pups that sound amazing where the maker struck upon the right combination of design and materials. I have a set like that - even bought another for a future build because they sounded so good.

BUT...and it's a big but: Do you really want to go through 8 sets before you find a no name brand that really does it right? Or just spend the $160-$400 to get something you KNOW will work and be good.
Pretty much this IMO/IME. I have $75 pickups I love and I've had $275 pickups I hated. In the end it's just easier to stick with what you know--esp after a few decades of fiddling around with different flavors of the month.

I do think pickups are an overrated component of your overall tone but not close to as overrated as tubes are.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
It depends on what they are going into. Right pickup/right guitar/right application kind of deal.

Some of the pickups are in my opinion, not worth the outrageous price point.

I prefer mid priced stuff when it comes to pickups. I also buy lots of used pickups simply to try.

I bought at least 4 Wolfetone pickups last year. Everyone of them was stellar. He is still doing 25% off to which puts his stuff at the same price as say Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio.

I'm not knocking Duncan or Dimarzio in anyway. The Dimarzio Super Distortion basically started the aftermarket pickup craze. The corksniffers at the TGP probably wont admit that these off the shelf pickups may result in fantastic tone.

I even like *most* stock Gibson pickups to be honest.

El Gringo

Reaction score
plenty live up to their hype.
I did plenty of party favors back in the day including all of the goodies and candy (I think I played better back then as well , reason being there are tunes and such that I can't remember or remember how I played them back then -true story ! ) Going to work the next day after the last Jerry / Dead show in 1995 and I was still feeling the effects the following day up until 11am . My smart ass on the way to the arena said 'this sh^& is weak give me more , which was a mistake . First set we smoked everything , then second set we were like well behaved kids in church . Clown next to me that was not with us was smoking a cig (imagine that ) and security kept flashing a flashlight at him to stop smoking . So my smart arse makes a scene waving my hands around as the flashlight was harshing me and my buddy says to me it's not for you . I still kept up and then security comes over to me and tells me it's not for us , to which I replied "we smoked them all and don't have anymore " and he replies that he knew . Good times for sure .

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
if there's one thing that can make or break a guitar is the pickup.

btw, people are making too much fuzz like, gourmet burgers, about pickups I know. but assuming your guitar and amp works at a reasonable levles, pickups and speakers are game changers.

Latest posts