pick thickness

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by tone seaker, Apr 13, 2020.

1. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Ordered TUSQ picks in a variety of guages to try out. Standard and Bi-Angles in 0.68mm, 0.88mm, and 1.00mm thickness.
    I'll report back.

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I'm using the purple delrin Dunlops these days. I've always preferred stiffer/heavier picks and am not so terribly picky about shape. Small teardrops are fine by me, and I used to use the big "dorito" black cellulose heavy picks. The ones that go up in a fast puff of smoke if you set them on fire. They burn like crazy. Well, they're chemically almost gunpowder....

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

There are only a few guitarists in the world who can play fast enough to make those picks go off while playing.

Sneaks and Sustainium like this.
  4. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I like to keep a variety on hand these days. I find somedays one pick just sounds better to me than another. I still generally just use Fenders the most but have Tortex and Tusq on hand too. I really like Tusq picks with acoustic. I'm middle of the road on thickness. .73 up to 1.14.
    346 shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

junk notes and Derek S like this.
  5. Rod

Rod Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I use these Dunlop Ultex as well in heavy 1.14mm... great for electric or acoustics.. big fat tone with nice highs....

Sapient likes this.
  6. junk notes

Still waiting on TUSQ picks. I would think anyday now nearing two weeks. Looking forward to this concept of a thin pick playing like a heavy. It is the flex or snap I am interested in.

Sneaks likes this.
  7. junk notes

They are in. I like them. I bought an assortment of Standard and Bi-Angle in all but in the heaviest guage.
    They are what I imagined they would be. They are certainly a different type or style of pick. I will know better through the week, or by the weeks end.

8. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Whatever the pick, once you wear the tip off by playing a little bit it's different.. even super expensive ones..

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I have a large fishbowl full of guitar picks that I've been collecting for over 35 years. It's a grave reminder of my OCD with picks. I've tried just about every one of them under God's green sun, and finally managed to settle on purple Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. If they stopped making them I'd have to quit playing guitar. Even still, if I change something like string gauge, or if I tune down, it'll send me into an 3 hour frenzy trying to find the right pick to accommodate the change.

I'm frooty like that, see? Frooty!

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  10. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Totally normal IMO! Or maybe I'm frooty like that too. Ever have a day where it's not that some hardware change is tripping you up but that your playing is just off and sloppy, so you start grabbing totally different feeling picks thinking that'll fix the shitty playing lol? I sure do.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  11. junk notes

Alright, I had plenty of time getting acquainted, and the verdict is in; they are keepers!
    These have to be a lead guitar player's secret weapon. They are a precise pick.

Out of all the guages, seemingly I will be re-ordering the Bi-Angle. I have used a certain pick and pick shape for over two decades... I just found the replacement!

I can add the colors have a timbre affect on the stings. The rigidness and material will take a getting used to, as there is no pick really quite like this. Physically different and audibly sounding like a metallic pick at times.

I cannot answer for the Rhythm players, although thin, there is basically no flex except perhaps the pick tips or points.

I do not know how long a single pick will last under my punishment, but for now, if you are a lead guitar player, or want to have a more precise picking technique, try these.

This Tusq pick (material) is new to me. Picks and strings are inexpensive in general for knowledge. If they do not work for your style and technique, move on with your quest.

12. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

I use V picks. 2.5mm I used to use cool heavy but I tried the 2.5 and never turned back