Phaez amplifiers

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Alligatorbling, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling Well-Known Member

Does anyone own one? I have a 14 watt daisy cutter. It's the best gain I've ever heard. Two el84 and 3 12ax7. 'm running sovtek powers and tungsol pres. I love the tones I get out of it. And with it being 14 watts I can dime it. The cab is an oversized 2x12 with wgs green berets (green back clone) I built the cab and head shell 20200623_000148_compress25.jpg 20200623_000132_compress93.jpg

Attached Files:

2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I looked at those several years ago when I was looking for a low wattage amp. At the time I was more interested in a modern Marshall vibe so I went with a Baron Custom Snott Watt. It seems that might be a little bluesier and more to my liking now. Enjoy!

Alligatorbling likes this.
  3. Alligatorbling

Thanks! It's a one trick pony. I can do a lot to get more out of it with a 10 band eq. I dont have it out at the moment but when I do use it I run it in the loop. The large head shell makes tube rounding a breeze. One reason I made it so big

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  4. Alligatorbling

I like low watt amps because I love the gain of hot tubes. My daisycutter is pretty damn loud when maxed but its nowhere near as loud as my twin. It has more than enough volume to play with drums or even overpower them. I've owned 100 watt tube amps and a 4x12 cab. Too loud. Even for me.

My cab is huge. It was part experiment. I love how it sounds. It even sounds big

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I need to talk to the builder about getting him some proper panels for his amps.

And their website doesn't work. I get a blank page and that's all.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  6. Alligatorbling

I dont know what Randy's status is these days. I knew it was a waiting list to get one new years ago. I ended up buying my 2nd hand.

7. colchar

colchar Well-Known Member

Works fine for me.

8. Len

Len Well-Known Member

I had a Duophonic for a few years. Sadly, it wasn’t the amp for me (noise issues that couldn’t even be fixed by returning it, mid-wired tone controls, poor workmanship - held together by hot glue).

9. Alligatorbling

I'd like to get another phaez. My daisy cutter is 14 watts. I'd like to gave a 7 watt too.

10. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Those el 84 sound great When over driven . Most likely it is a 18 watt Marshall with gain mods . Do you play it with single coils

11. Alligatorbling

Its very "marshall like" it sounds great with single coils as well as humbuckers. My HSS strat has a super distortion knock off pickup in it. Its wound to 14k so it REALLY pushes the tubes hard.

12. South Park

A great deal of recording was done on those tubes . Have you tried the fender Tex mex pick ups .

13. Alligatorbling

I had a set of SRV texas specials in one of my strats years ago. I really liked them but I eventually wanted something different

14. South Park

I just built a strat from fleabay . If ever get a chance to play those pick ups. You will like them