People with signs at intersections asking for money..

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Very rarely. I'll buy wilted flowers, yesterday's newspaper, just make an effort type thing.

Though one time in San Francisco at the Bay Bridge toll the wife insisted we give a guy a couple of bucks because his sign was clever and I agreed.

It read "TOO HONEST TO STEAL AND TOO UGLY TO PROSTITUTE"

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I used to on occasion. It seems too many here are simply funding drug addictions.
I saw one a few weeks back on crutches with a sign that said something like " Had surgery on one leg, need surgery on the other..".
Well, we have universal health care here. It would cost him exactly nothing. We have social programs for down n out people, mind you there are still obviously homeless people here.
Hard to t ell what they really do with it.

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
If I felt like it I would, but I don't feel like it.
I grew up poor, was poor for decades after that (partly due to my own dumb choices), and had to work hard, do without, and sacrifice for many years to pull myself up. Nobody GAVE me anything.

Last edited:

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
America promises 'equality of opportunity', not 'equality of outcome'. It's only for those who are willing to work for it. If you start out lower than someone else, you just have to resolve to try harder.

Obi Plexi-nobi

Reaction score
I went on multiple mission trips to India, Columbia, and the Philippines. What we are only beginning to see at America road intersections is vastly multiplied, widespread, and COMMONPLACE around the world. You DO NOT want to let this gain traction here. I give NOTHING so as to not encourage our nation to slip further into 3rd world status. We are already over-taxed and underpaid. I DO see a lot of immigrants working harder than Americans, and I also see immigrants who just want to establish a parasitical relationship with us by coming here. Times are tough. I think they will find there's NOTHING here for them, except the opportunity to work, for those who are willing to do it. I DO however support their businesses whenever I can- NO PROBLEM. Cultural diversity (if done legally) is GREAT..!! :dude:

Last edited:

Headache

Reaction score
I tend to kinda of size them up and judge them based on appearance and sometimes see if they have kind eyes, or just evil.

If I feel led to give them money, I usually keep 10-20 bucks in my visor for just such a time.

I've often bought them food before as well. You can tell if they are appreciative or not most of the time.
Plus I've always tried to give when my kids were growing up, to foster that for their own lives. Plus it makes for good discussion with my kids about choices and giving.

Only 1 time I felt bad, I gave this girl 20 bucks and she seriously threw her sign down and ran towards the underpass, I sensed a desperate need to feed her addiction.

I try to help out by giving when I can and let the burden of what they are doing with the money be on them.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
America promises 'equality of opportunity', not 'equality of outcome'. It's only for those who are willing to work for it. If you start out lower than someone else, you just have to resolve to try harder.
The only thing America guarantees, is that you will be taxed for each and every monetary transaction you're involved in.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I did it once. It was an older gentleman and his sign said he was a homeless veteran. I gave him a twenty.

There are plenty of scammers, but he seemed sincere.