Pedal Help / Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Crab, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Crab

Crab Active Member

Ok,, I have a MXR Super BA Dist and a Rock Box Boiling point clone. Both are great pedals for getting close to a Warren Haynes Govt Mule tone. At this point I am just looking for something else in a pedal to get me close to this tone. Using it through the clean channel of a DSL or a VS8020.

HOT TUBES 70 and ricksconnected like this.
  2. NateSLC

NateSLC Active Member

Hi Crab. My band has covered Gov't Mule, they are one of my favorite bands. In my experience it was not overdrive pedals that achieved the sound but rather the amps natural gain channels. I have used the JCM2000 TSL, JCM2000 DSL, and the JVM210H which is now my primary amp with great success on Mule songs. His guitar tone is very low gain, in fact I am surprised in dialing in the JVM to sounds that I was chasing that most of the tones of my favorite guitarists use very low gains and very simple settings once you really listen carefully. The one thing that ties in guitar tones like this when using lower gain settings is having to turn the amp up to its sweet spot, which for me the minimum master volume I can use is 3 to get a decent sound, preferably 4, but most of the gigs I play turning up to 4 on the volume is just way too loud. Anything lower than 3 on the volume and all of the balls go away so it sounds weak. Your DSL should easily capture his tone without having to chase down pedals. Then again chasing down pedals is always fun. In being forced to play at lower volumes on songs like Bad Little Doggie I would tend to use a heavier gain channel just to add thickness which I hate to do. It sure would be nice to always have gigs that would allow for opening up my amp to its full glory, but that is rarely the case for me and I only get the opportunity a few times a year at most. Happy hunting of tones no matter what path you go down.

Crab likes this.
  3. Crab

Crab Active Member

Thanks Nate, I was looking for low volume. BTW what channel and settings are you using on your dsl.

4. BluesRocker

BluesRocker Well-Known Member

A Soldano... That's Warren's tone.

4Horseman likes this.
  5. NateSLC

NateSLC Active Member

It has been well over a year since I have had the JCM2000 DSL amp head. I think I kept it pretty simple though. I don't know if you prefer "o'clock" references or not when talking settings but that seems to be popular so that is what I will use. To the best of my memory though:

Presence 1 o'clk
    Treble, Middle, Bass : Noon
    Deep switch in, tone shift out
    Reverb knobs off, used TC reverb from TC Nova unit
    Ultra Gain Channel: Gain Noon and cant remember if I did lead one or two lol
    Classic Gain Channel: Gain at 2 o'clk, crunch button in.

I do miss the simple settings and solid sounds of the JCM DSL. I have never played the newer version DSL head, but I do own a DSL40C as a back up amp and I only use the classic channel on that amp and can't really stand the ultra gain channel on it. I can say that on the JVM210H I have been making little tweaks to it for a damned year now always telling my wife that I have it perfect after every tweaking session. As of two days ago I think I have it perfect again, but who the hell knows. It is a great amp and by no means has ever sounded bad, its just fun to screw with and the tiniest knob changes can make a big difference. It has been my favorite Marshall head I have ever owned so far but I have never had the privilege of owning any of the classic Marshall amps.

Let me know what drive pedals you decide to go with in your own tone quest. I have an OCD that I use for a slight bit of added gain for leads when I require it, but do not use it for anything else. I still prefer the natural preamp gain of Marshalls to drive pedals, at least on the modern Marshalls.

Crab likes this.
  6. jericbrazier

jericbrazier Well-Known Member

I realize this thread is kinda old, but the Wampler Slostortion thru the clean channel of my DSL40 can get me pretty close to Warren's tone. They're out of production, but can be found on the used market pretty easily.