Peavey Invective 120 & MH

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm excited guys, because I've got 2 awesome new amps in the studio: the Peavey Invective 120 and the Invective MH Mini Head. (Quick disclosure up-front: I got a pretty good deal on these for my video but at my request). You guys all know of these amps right? I know I was very interested in both of these amps ever since they came out but they were a little hard to get at times. A lot of guys really wanted to see the MH on my channel too so that's another reason why I wanted that one.

In short: I'm blown away! With the 120, the tones on this amps are just there and the amount of tweaking that can be done is nothing short of amazing! The core 6505/5150 tones are certainly there but maybe with a little bit more fierceness by default. A little brighter and more saturated I think. The built-in boost functions totally make this amp even more versatile and that's what makes this amp so well suited for modern metal or extended range guitar tones.

The footswitch that comes with the amp also is great. I love how it lets you store presets and turn all the functions on or off. I wasn't expecting it to come with the amp 'for free' so I was super stoked about that. The built-in gate and master boost are also welcome additions and the 9v jacks on the back were a pleasant surprise!

The MH is also very cool! Very tiny of course, just as the 6505 MH. I haven't compared the Invective MH to the 6505 MH directly just yet but I think the Invective is more saturated and bright sounding. The MH is a bit brighter by default than the 120, probably because of the different poweramp layout (because the 120 gets darker when you turn up the post gains etc.) but that's easily dialed in with the presence and treble controls.

Anyway, here's my demo/review video with some 6, 7 and 8 string tones of both amps:

Anyone else here have one or have you ever tried one? There is a lot more to be said about these amps. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm excited guys, because I've got 2 awesome new amps in the studio: the Peavey Invective 120 and the Invective MH Mini Head. (Quick disclosure up-front: I got a pretty good deal on these for my video but at my request). You guys all know of these amps right? I know I was very interested in both of these amps ever since they came out but they were a little hard to get at times. A lot of guys really wanted to see the MH on my channel too so that's another reason why I wanted that one.

In short: I'm blown away! With the 120, the tones on this amps are just there and the amount of tweaking that can be done is nothing short of amazing! The core 6505/5150 tones are certainly there but maybe with a little bit more fierceness by default. A little brighter and more saturated I think. The built-in boost functions totally make this amp even more versatile and that's what makes this amp so well suited for modern metal or extended range guitar tones.

The footswitch that comes with the amp also is great. I love how it lets you store presets and turn all the functions on or off. I wasn't expecting it to come with the amp 'for free' so I was super stoked about that. The built-in gate and master boost are also welcome additions and the 9v jacks on the back were a pleasant surprise!

The MH is also very cool! Very tiny of course, just as the 6505 MH. I haven't compared the Invective MH to the 6505 MH directly just yet but I think the Invective is more saturated and bright sounding. The MH is a bit brighter by default than the 120, probably because of the different poweramp layout (because the 120 gets darker when you turn up the post gains etc.) but that's easily dialed in with the presence and treble controls.

Anyway, here's my demo/review video with some 6, 7 and 8 string tones of both amps:

Anyone else here have one or have you ever tried one? There is a lot more to be said about these amps. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know!

Nice, good video! How does the Invective compare to the 6505+ in your opinion?

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Nice, good video! How does the Invective compare to the 6505+ in your opinion?

I haven't ever tried the 6505+ but I own a 6505. I have yet to compare them but aside from all the features, the Invective has a better clean channel and more saturated and fierce tones overall.

ampeq

Reaction score
Those amps are some of the best laid out amps going. They remind me of my old Carvins and some Mesa amps. I’d love to try one in my setting to see what I could extract from it. I think they are primarily a modern amp but may be versatile enough to do most vintage stuff as well. Well priced for a “super” amp.

Garrett

Reaction score
I like what they have going on with it but man that price point for the 120 is a bit steep.

But I'm a cheap bastard anyway.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I think it's a great offering from Peavey, not my style of amp but I can really appreciate it's design and features. I think it's 100% practical and enovative for the 6505 user base and makes me happy to see Peavey leading the way imho with modern "metal" amps.

Now is it built in China? I own a 6505+ that died barely a year after I bought it brand new in the box. I didn't care enough for the amp and actually forgot it in a closet for many years... Anyways I was extremely disappointed in it's premature failure and even more disappointed that Peavey is manufacturing amps in China... I think Peavey I think "Built like a tank, extremely reliable and US made!"... China? Peavey??? LAME.

All my old Peaveys BOLDLY state "Made In the USA" and if this amp is made in China I will be extremely disappointed, especially for the price. All I see on it is "Designed and Egineered in the USA" but I wouldn't doubt they leave out "Made in China"....

Anyways they are cool!

ampeq

Reaction score
I like what they have going on with it but man that price point for the 120 is a bit steep.

But I'm a cheap bastard anyway.
Actually the price is not bad at all. Look at all the 100w + guitar amps at Sweetwater and you will soon see they run between $2700 to $4700. The Peavey Inv. is $1800 with much more "goodies" for the money as well as a great footswitch and many extra's aboard that are very usable. Noise gate, 2 ways to boost it, 2 loops, very well done amp. They even have power for pedals built right in, just the fact of not needing power supplies for pedals, or boost pedals can be a big deal for some. The clean ch. is very good, lots of headroom and control over the tone. A 2-12" combo of this amp would be one hell of a good workhorse for most, outstanding job Peavey.

One thing I really like is you can add in slight break up to the clean channel. My TC100 and V3 had this and it makes for the best clean channel’s.

Last edited:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Actually the price is not bad at all. Look at all the 100w + guitar amps at Sweetwater and you will soon see they run between $2700 to $4700. The Peavey Inv. is $1800 with much more "goodies" for the money as well as a great footswitch and many extra's aboard that are very usable. Noise gate, 2 ways to boost it, 2 loops, very well done amp. They even have power for pedals built right in, just the fact of not needing power supplies for pedals, or boost pedals can be a big deal for some. The clean ch. is very good, lots of headroom and control over the tone. A 2-12" combo of this amp would be one hell of a good workhorse for most, outstanding job Peavey.

Yeah good points and I agree!

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Great job on your part as well! I think Peavey was the last amp builder to move stuff to China, he refused until they couldn’t complete. He has always provided value in his products.

A big portion of my amps were made in China and they all sound great without any issues.

ampeq

Reaction score
A big portion of my amps were made in China and they all sound great without any issues.
A big part of getting consistent quality out of places like China is putting a man in their plant from yours. If you don’t the quality will slowly drop. I know people that have to do this in order to keep going. Same thing in Taiwan were we get most of the machine castings. First 3-4 containers will be fine, then the next ones will drop in quality until you can’t use them.