PC for Home Recording

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Marshall Stack, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

it depends...

how extravagant of recordings?

If you plan on running a lot of plug-ins, you will need all the computer muscle you can get.

Adding stuff later, such as memory depends on what you buy. If you buy something outdated that can only handle 16GB memory, then, that's all you'll ever be able to have. If you buy a newer system that you can have 128GB memory, you can order minimal to start, then buy cheaper memory & build it up.

I'm not a s familiar w/ Mac...

W/ my system, if the I-7 doesn't cut it, I can upgrade to an I-9, as long as the mount is the same.

If recording multi-tracks, you'll need a fast, new interface, or you'll always be fighting w/ sync issues & have to line up every track, after you record, because playback will be instant "0" point, but recording will be so many milliseconds behind. The older units are generally slower. Sound cards can not keep up...

Marshall Stack likes this.
  2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Your computer is only as fast as your fastest HDD. :2c:

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Laptops with their small screens and small keyboards are a POOR substitute for a big screen and a proper, full sized keyboard with a good feel to it. I only use a laptop on those VERY rare occasions where I may actually need access to a linked account while travelling. Or for special purposes where I must use a computer when not in the office or at home. But I generally hate laptops because of the ergonomic compromises they force on me.

Here at home I'm typing this on a very up to date PC with a Logitech G910 gaming keyboard with full tactile keys, a G502 Hero gaming mouse, and a 40" monitor. No laptop can approach the experience of a nice setup like this. Big screen, easy on the not-so-young eyes anymore. A proper keyboard for a lifelong touch typist like myself, fully capable of keeping up with me when I'm bursting 120 WPM. Try that on a laptop! And a mouse beats the snot out of a trackpad, any day, every day.

4. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Swap files, paging, buffered and non-buffered output, threading, synchronous/asynchronous IO, ...not necessarily at all.

5. Dogs of Doom

SSD...

Derek S and Sapient like this.
  6. Dogs of Doom

helps to have the most up-to-date RAM & SATA on the board/drives...

Sapient likes this.
  7. Sapient

For sure. You don't want to bottleneck the actual electrical flow. :cheers:

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  8. junk notes

yes, hard drive.

9. junk notes

IOW if you happen to have 5400, 7200, and a 10,000, 5400 would be the fastest speed.
    If you had all 10's, then 10,000 would be your speed.

10. Sapient

I don't think you understand how computer IO operates. Also, are you talking numbers of hamburgers??

PelliX likes this.
  11. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

So from someone who was an IT Systems Admin for many years and also bought and sold many home recording items here is my advice.

Disclaimer: I am a hobbyist when it comes to home recording. I am not a Pro recording engineer.

Read the specs carefully on laptops. As in how much ram they can be upgraded to, the higher the better. You want to start with 16 at least. You want to stay away from Windows 11 for now. get something with an SSD, A PC is better if you have the room. My suggestion is Dell and stay away from HP. You will do fine though getting one custom built at a local PC shop and are contributing to the local economy.

Interface: Lots of good ones out there. matter of fact there's not many that wont get the job done. These are a "you get what you pay for" item. For instance an Apogee is going to blow away a Presonus but they cost 5-10x more.

As far as DAW goes I have pretty much used them all. The best value and easiest to use currently is Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio. It is super affordable and comes with some outstanding high quality plugins. Reaper is great and I do have a paid license for it but Mixcraft is so much easier to use and again comes with so much more stuff. Costs about the same as Reaper depending on if they are running a promotion. Reaper has always been 60 bucks.

Monitoring. So many good to great monitors and headphones it's tough to suggest. For speakers I would say stay away from Mackie and Sterling. I found that these 2 brands do not give a good flat response. I use JBL 305's and they are fantastic for the price. I also use AKG headphones. Cant remember the model and I am not near them right now.

I hope this helped.

12. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

Get a macbook air M1. you can grab the entry level with an upgrade for storage and it will be more than good.

I'm running a M1 8 cores with 512gb and 8gb of ram and that thing SMOKES my old mini I7 server with 16gb of ram.