Pawn Shop Find - $50 Marshall Code 25

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitar Rod, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Active Member

First NAD here! When the Code first came out, I contemplated either a 50 or 25, leaning towards the 50. A few people recommended the 25, but after reading some negative comments/experiences, I passed.

Today, perusing the classifieds, a pawn shop had a Marshall amp for 50 bucks US (65 CAN). No description. Expected a roached MG15 or something. Looked at the pic and it looked like a Code. Looked closer and could just see the top part of CODE on the panel. And an LCD. Thought... is there a cheap Code below 25? Googled. Nope. Rushed over. CODE 25! Tested it out. Worked fine. A little dusty. Some little scuffs on a corner. Food crust or something on a couple buttons and the side. When taking it to the till, the manager told the employee that's way too low. Can't sell it that low. No money in that. I piped in that's why I'm buying it. 50 bucks with a 6 month warranty!

Got it home and scrubbed and disinfected the thing. Buffed it with Armour All. Looks practically new. The panel is perfect. Then it got a factory reset and firmware update. Never was updated. Plugged it in. Bluetooth connected no problem. First impression. Man, it's loud. Man, it's bright! Man, it's bassy! But mainly bright. Doesn't sound boxy except on a few presets. Turning down the brightness didn't do much. Tone knob on the guitar got it perfect. Really impressed with the main amp presets. Plexi is bliss. JTM is too. The DSL preset with a 1960 cab sounds pretty close to my actual DSL through a 1960. Increasing the "power amp" volume adds nice body and compression.

I'm very impressed with it. Great for the TV room, especially with the app. Can have it across the room and adjust everything. Heard people hating on having to use an app, but I much prefer it. No laptop needed. Just my phone that is with me all the time anyway. Probably my best buy percentage wise. Yesterday I saw a used one at the guitar store for 189 CDN plus tax.

thecasterkid, The Ozzk, Kiko and 7 others like this.
  2. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

BE VERY CAREFUL.

They are less expensive and more addictive than elephant tranquilizers.

Thats exactly how I got hooked.....A really inexpensive used Code 25.

I liked the 25 so much, that I purchased a used 50 to satisfy my addiction.

A few months latter my dealer offered me a Code 100 head and I smuggled it into my secluded studio.

Months latter Im still enjoying them, but I find that if I dont play them everyday I begin to suffer from DT's, shaking, confusion, high blood pressure, fever, and hallucinations.

I am NOT seeking intervention,.....signs of a true addict....

You've been warned my friend.

3. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
  4. Fritzman

Fritzman New Member

As a Code 25 owner I would agree it's both bright and dark. I would disagree on the Plexi being bliss. I find it unusable. I do find the JCM800 usable with the 1936 cab and the Guv'nr setting. I like mine. I tried a Mustang, a Vox VTX(which was horrid) and a Katana. Settled on the code.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  5. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

i need to try one, i tried a mustang and i couldnt believe they put that thing out.

I like some of the advanced power amp settings and stuff in the mustang but i couldnt find one single sound that sounded anything like a real amp.

Another thing i thought the mustang was lacking alot of stuff its like they never finished it. The effects part felt like some one ran out of coffee and said hell with it im done.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  6. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Active Member

Yup. I wanted a 50. And the 100 head intrigues me. If I got a similar decent deal, I'd probably jump.

The Plexi just sounded full to me, especially with the power amp at about 7, and not too gainy. The JCM800 was too bright for my tastes, but I haven't had a chance to really sit down and fiddle. I had a Mustang too. Like this a bit better.

I liked my Mustang III. Does Fender amps really well, but I'm not much of a Fender amp guy. More a Marshall guy, and the Mustang was horrid at Marshall. The Bassman was the only preset I could get to sound close to a Marshall, ironically.

7. Springfield Scooter

I called Musicians Friend and mentioned a 15% discount + 8% "Backstage Pass" membership and scored the Code 100 head for something like $275 as I recall.
    I love the JCM800, Plexi, and JCM amps.
    The presets on the 100 seem to be a big improvement over the Code 25 and 50.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  8. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I have a 50 and like it but can't seem to love it. There's quite a bit of hiss, I don't know why, I mean my tube amp hisses too but somehow the hiss and the tone of the guitar seem separated in the sound stage while with the models it feels like it's in the middle of the tone. It grates on my nerves a bit and interferes with my enjoyment of the tones I'm getting.

Frustrating because it's almost there, but if I try and dial it out with the noise gate the falloff of the notes starts to fizz. So I just struggle with it and spend more time tweaking compared to just dialing in something on the spot on the DSL.

I do like it though, and the recordings through USB sound decent and don't bother me half as much when I play them back. Just one of those things I guess. So close yet still not quite where I want it. Still a keeper :)

9. Springfield Scooter

Antmax, thats unusual .
    Have you tried different outlets or a different cable?

10. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Nice score!

Guitar Rod likes this.
  11. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Active Member

Thanks!

As far as hiss, my actual amp does have much if any hiss at all, but various high gain presets have plenty of hiss, but that seems to be the norm for other modeling of high gain that I've played (Zoom G1Xon, Mustang, BIAS) and even my tube amps when kicking in high gain, especially with pedals.

I have a favorite preset. 80 Concert Hall. With some tweaking (no distortion/delay, less reverb), I could just leave it there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018