Passive bookshelf speakers for hi-fi stereo

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Barry A, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Barry A

Barry A Member

Hey guys! I just got a stereo tube amplifier for home listening. I need to upgrade my speakers, and I’m wondering if anybody has input on a good set of passive bookshelf speakers for a rich sound experience. A friend of mine recommended Klipsch, and they are highly regarded in the audiophile community. But I trust the advice of musicians.

I’ll be running them through a Uturn plexi turntable and Monoprice All Tube amp. I’d like to keep it under $400. Thanks.

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Check on eBay you can find good tube amp speakers thar . You don’t have to spend a lot .

3. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Thats like purchasing a Ferrari with a V12, and then stating all I can afford is bicycle tires for it.

Don't scrimp on speakers.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't balk at the price, i tried a set of these and once they were broken in they really sound killer. As long as you aren't looking to hit em with 100wrms they are very good.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

This was the review i posted on their site:

I was skeptical but not now. These sound great. Excellent bass and treble response. You can stand anywhere in the room and the sound doesn't cut out, it's like it's coming out of every wall.
    I am powering these with a refurbed 1965 Fischer 500T and it sounds killer. Very happy with this purchase.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    jmp45 likes this.
  5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

For what specific reasons did you get a tube amp for hifi?

There are lots of prosumer quality active monitors in the $400 price range that could serve well for pleasure listening. They are all voiced a little different from one another though, so making a recommendation depends on what qualities matter most to you. There are also lots of older prosumer passive monitors out there which could be used with an amp, as well as consumer bookshelf speakers.

Which speakers are you using now, and where are they falling short?

6. Barry A

Barry A Member

E5F15CAB-54EC-4E8A-82EE-24A6462FE942.jpeg
    right now I’m using these cheap Edifier speakers that I got for $80. The sound separation is pretty bad and there’s literally zero bottom end. Feel it’s just one giant tweeter. So looking for more bottom end and sound separation. I’ll probably have to get a sub at some point but right now I’d just like to be able to listen to my vinyl without my ears bleeding.

I got a tube amp to listen to vinyl, to have a warm, traditional vinyl tone. What’s great about this amp is that it even warms up Music played from my phone through Bluetooth. Plus it looks pretty cool.

7. Barry A

Barry A Member

Here it is, please ignore the Crosley on the left. I dug it up just to see how it sounded on this amp (like shit), but the uturn turntable is wonderful.

DE51EEEC-759C-4BF8-AC2C-F088EAFC8C13.jpeg

8. What?

What? Well-Known Member

How much power is that amp putting out per side and at what impedance?

9. Barry A

Barry A Member

Impedance is 4-8 ohms, 10 watts per channel. It can handle a lot more then bookshelf.

10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

You can spend A LOT trying to squeeze better sound outta smaller bookshelves....or you can just get something with 8's, 10's, or preferably 12's.

Size matters

Barry A likes this.
  11. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I don't know alot about hifi tube amps, but that seems like a pretty small amount of power for a hifi system, even if it is a bookshelf system. I'm not even asking if that power rating is peak or RMS, because it seems very low even for RMS rating. What made you get that specific amp?

On woofer size, 6" can be fine. It depends on the design of the overall speaker and the room that they will be used in. I use 8" active monitors in a 17'x11' room, which put out plenty of bass for sane listening levels, and these things do get well above sane listening levels.

The thing is here, a decent set of passive hifi bookshelf speakers are going to need adequate power to push them. Passives aren't exactly efficient. And I think 10 watts per channel is going to be pretty disappointing on output, especially on the bass end. The last passive system I had was a set of Yorkville 6" + tweeter and a Hafler 75w per channel solid state amp. That amp was barely adequate.

But keep in mind, I'm speaking out of ignorance here on hifi tube amps.

12. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I drive my Dayton B652 AIR's with a 45 year old 35 watt per channel SS receiver and this will put out enough bass that it has vibrated the speakers off the self. Power ratings can be deceiving. This thing is a rats nest of PTP/PCB construction made when it was assumed that transistors were tube killers. But man it sounds so nice.

[​IMG]

13. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

For that application I would seek out a good pair of Alesis Monitor Ones or Monitor Twos. They are superb speakers that will reveal details in the music you never knew were there. I've helped two people get sets of them and they both absolutely love them.

I'd use them myself if I needed a smaller set of speakers but that's not my application. I have large, very expensive floorstanders that will be with me to the day I die.

Barry A likes this.
  14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

That is a good suggestion among used passive monitors. The passive Alesis Monitor series caught alot of crap at recording forums, but for their price, they were great for a small home listening system. Very detailed and a nice overall listening experience. But finding a pair today that hasn't been abused might be a challenge. Also keep in mind here that most were being powered by 100W+ RMS per side amps back in the day. I still have pretty fond memories of a pair of them for home listening.

Barry A likes this.
  15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Well-Known Member

check you local used CL and /or Facebook Marketplace and get a set of BIC Venturi v52
    You should be able to score a pair for under 50-$100 now that they'r 30 yrs old.

Barry A likes this.
  16. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Barry A likes this.
  17. Barry A

Barry A Member

Yeah, I’m saying I want a high quality and strong reproduction of original sound, which you can get with quality, lower powered equipment. I know a lot of audiophiles disagree, just like musicians on this forum.

I appreciate all of your guys recommendations. Nearly all of these recommendations are on eBay, used, for extremely reasonable prices! You guys rock!

18. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Easy!

Vintage Bose 901s

Your welcome.

19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Bose 901s and 10 watts?. No, no, and no. I've had 901s and ran them with a Pioneer SX1980 275 watt per channel receiver. They drank that power.

Listening to vinyl with a tube amp isn't about volume. It's about hearing subtle nuances in the music at moderate listening levels.

I have a 2.5 watt per channel magnavox stereo amp that came out of an old console that I rebuilt and through some Klipsch Heresy 2's and a Dyna Pas pre amp sounds fantastic, not loud but super detailed.

I have quite a few old stereo stereo amps..Dyna mk3s, Knight kn400, and one of my Favorites a Fisher KX200 integrated..all love speakers with horn tweeters. Klipsch Hereseys sing with them.

Barry A likes this.
  20. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I like those myself. I just bought a pair of JBL L-100's, if they would ever break in. I'm looking for a Pioneer 1080 or up now. I bought a new Yamaha 2100 but it sounded like crap! (It's a $4000 integrated amp and weighs in at 54 lbs.)