passed up opportunity? or saved 40 bucks?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Exotic, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

wow interesting ,gonna have to try to take the front grill off .
    yes i did take the 4 screws off from the back plate .
    what is a speak on jack?
    they are tubes going in ,but i suppose 2 got lost? u push them in or out for a different sound?
    i thought it was wierd that the back has openings ,my marshall cabs do not .
    so it's old 80's or 90's huh?

should look like this when i can put them together

IMG_3233 (Mobile).JPG

2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know you removed the jackplate mounting screws.

I was asking if there were a bunch of screws around the edge of the back panel (like a Marshall). I don't see any, so if you didn't remove them before you tried pulling the back panel off, that means the back panel is glued on and not removeable.

A Speak-On jack is the big weird second jack on the Drive jack plate. They can handle higher wattage than regular 1/4" jacks, and the plugs twist-lock on so they can't accidently get yanked out. On some Speak-Ons you can use a regular 1/4" plug instead, in the center hole, but on others you can't.

They're more common on bass and PA gear, but some guitar rack systems use them.
    ------------------------
    With 4 tube ports in the back and another one in the front, there's some chance it's a bass cab rather than guitar cab.

But that's more a matter of the speakers -- guitar speakers can work fine in some bass cabs.

Exotic likes this.
  3. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

the front doesn't have any screws either ,so maybe try to pry the front grill cover off?
    i guess i have no use for the other jack ,i was wondering what that's for .
    no ,no screws on the back to remove like marshalls .
    when u say drive jack plate is that the brand ? could it be that this cab is all mixed up of different brands? drive ,madison etc ?

if it is a bass cab ,pretty sure those r 12 inch guitar speakers and it seems to work fine for guitar so it doesn't really matter to me ,the important part is to be able to run 2 16ohm 4x12 cabs with my jcm 900 which can't run my 2 8 ohm cabs due to the limitation of the ohm switcher, no 4 ohm option .

4. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

GIBSON67 likes this.
  5. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

good advice ,got it and never gonna look back sweet find !

Trumpet Rider likes this.
  6. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ur right it doesn't blend at all ,but i don't care what it looks like ,i just wanted to complete a second stack for my jcm 900 50 watt ,but in a way i kinda like that it's a mixed up mutt ,it kinda looks cool to me ,like unique

Trumpet Rider likes this.
  7. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

i can get cheese pizza any time ,but this was like a once in a lifetime find .
    man i gotta go to tumby's and get me a large thin crust soon ,have them cut it in half only ,and eat the half pizza in my hand ,like lorenza izzo did in green inferno .

pedecamp likes this.
  8. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

that guy at ebay selling 4 madison archer speakers is crazy i think ,he's gonna ship a quad for 29 bucks? and only ask 88 bucks for the quad? after he ships, the reality of the true price for shipping isn't gonna leave him much ,how much would u say it is to ship a 12 inch guitar speaker? it's a big heavy box ! i know ,i got 4 in the mail when i did my 2 jbl, 2 greenbacks cab .

IMG_1801 (Mobile).JPG

9. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

i think it's a drive cab and someone put madison speakers in it?
    download (Mobile).png

IMG_3221 (Mobile).JPG

ebay seller told me each speaker is rated at 100 watts

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  10. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ok i'm sure the cab has front loaded speakers ,i can see the mounting screws from the front of the cab . so maybe the back is stuck on? so how do i get the front off ? the metal grill won't budge ,to the point of bending the metal grill with a flat head screw driver .what to do? IMG_3256 (Mobile).JPG

IMG_3261 (Mobile).JPG

11. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Top corner, two squares down -- there's some sort of blacker area on the baffle, behind the grille. What is that? Could that have something to do with what's holding it on?

If not, I'd try slipping a putty knife or very thin screwdriver in between the carpeting and the edge of the grille. Wiggle it, probe it, see if the grille can shift sideways or anything.
    --------------------
    Sorry, but can't give precise directions because I've never seen a front-mount cab with a grille that wasn't attached with screws.

That back does NOT come off. The cab was glued together, covered, speakers placed on the front, then the grille installed. So you've got to figure out how the grille is held in place, then how to remove it.
    -------------------------
    Have you asked the guy who sold it to you if he knows how to remove the grille?

Exotic likes this.
  12. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

i see what ur talkin about ,i'll check it out .
    the guy who sold it to me is a swap meet vendor who gets this stuff to sell ,so he is clueless on that . thanks ,at least now i have a lead .

13. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

the grass is always greener on the other side . saw this one today ,but i'm going to be happy with the one i got . this one is 80 and has wheels ,probably got celestions in it . but mine was 35 ,i guess i like it better? the metal grill looks cooler?
    amazing how there's always 4x12 cabs showing up ,what's wierd is to see 2 straight cabs back to back .
    IMG_3262 (Mobile).JPG

14. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

you did it !u solved it ,thank you so much !,it's a phillips screw ,i imagine there's 4, ,one on each corner ,take those off ,grill comes out .
    screw is holding some sort of bracket attached to the grill .
    live and learn ,way different than marshall cabs ,the only ones i have experience with .

IMG_3268 (Mobile).JPG

RLW59 likes this.
  15. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ok so first of all i want to mention i'm not a pro ,i don't have a work bench ,no tools ,i'm old (55) i have a double hip replacement ,i don't want the neighbors to know i got a cab in my garage ,i have no strength cuza the statins i take for cholesterol . the cab has no wheels ,get the idea yet? i'm in the dark in so many ways ,i'm sittin in the garage in a chair doin what i can .
    ok so the metal grill has 6 screws holding it on ,i got them off it wasn't easy .
    that extra input is live and the wires are soldered to one of the speakers ,so far i only got one speaker out ,but dangling ,and i broke one of those male female connectors ? so it's not working anymore . i have no need for the extra input so i want to disable it ,so all i need to do is disconnect it all right? and just continue with the speakers like i would in a marshall?

IMG_3220 (Mobile).JPG

IMG_3231 (Mobile).JPG

16. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

The extra jack is just a parallel jack, no switching circuit or anything troublesome.

So there's no reason to disconnect it. It doesn't affect anything and it can't cause problems.

But yeah, if you want to you can just disconnect it.

Exotic likes this.
  17. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Push on speaker connectors. Here's a tip that most people are unaware of:

The connector that pushes on to the speaker terminal usually has a locking tab or a bump that fits into the square hole on the end of the speaker terminal. Use a little pokey tool (improvise with what ya got) to push that out of the hole while pulling the connector off will make it slide off nice and easy.

And then when you push the connector back on you'll feel a little click as it locks in place.

If you just pull like most people do, you'll mash the locking tab so badly it won't lock when you put it back on (the reason people complain push ons aren't as secure as soldering).

Or the speaker terminal breaks off.
    -----------------------
    Can you post pics of your broken speaker terminal? That'd make it easier to give suggestions on how to fix it.

Exotic likes this.
  18. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ok thanks i'm just going to undo the other input and as far as the dangling speaker i think i got it from here ,i plan on going to the hardware store ,get some more speaker wire ,those male/ female plugs .then snip the wires off the speaker ,label them plus/ minus according to how they are connected to the speaker ,then just attach the female connectors ,although last time i was able to hammer them ,don't know how i will squish them this time . and un solder all the solder on the speaker to take off the old stuff ,to see if one of the old terminals will still work ,and for the broken one i'll solder a wire to it and attach a male connector to it ,and either use the madison archer or experiment with a marshall vintage to compare .
    but yeah when i take it apart again i'll take some photos .
    really appreciate ur help on this . :agreed::applause:

19. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ok good news is it's working again ,bad news is the archer speakers have a different mounting screw configuration than the marshall vintage speaker ,the archer has 6 evenly spaced ,the celestion has 4 mounting holes evenly spaced .
    photo 1 broken part .i soldered on a wire and smashed a male plug to it .
    photo 2 labled the wires how they were .
    photo 3 those r the plugs .

IMG_3286 (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_3284 (Mobile).JPG
    IMG_3283 (Mobile).JPG

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I still say go with the pizza :yesway:

Exotic likes this.