P90 Recommendations

Eric'45

Reaction score
Hi fellow Marshall freaks.
I decided I should treat myself to a small Christmas present, and seeing especially the LP Junior build of @fitz288 I came to the conclusion that I need a P90 Guitar in my life.
I'm not fully satisfied with my Epiphone Build https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/time-to-upgrade-that-epiphone.123985/ mostly because the Burstbucker sounds to dark, or mid- heavy, or however you wish to call it :p.

That Guitar was part of a special run, so it has no Maple Cap, and it sounds pretty dark by itself.
So what I'm looking for is a P90 Style Pickup that
- is PAF sized, since I don't want to end up with more Holes in that Guitar :lol:
- is not all that expensive (It's just a project Guitar, after all)
- has some BITE

What Humbucker- sized P90s do you like?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any HB sized P-90's, but my go-to for mid-priced pickups for my projects is GFS.
I've used their pickups in all 3 of my home builds, and 2 of my mod guitars - never disappointed.
Here's a link to their HB sized lineup.
Humbucker Sized (guitarfetish.com)
They also have some deals in the clearance section - get a set for the price of one.
GFS Pickups Factory Blowout (guitarfetish.com)

junk notes

Reaction score
I have used Gibson's P94 in a superstrat (bridge) and liked it a lot! What I did not care for (in a direct replacement) was the Seymour Duncan Staple. It is IMHO more for a Fender amp that need cleans for Jazz and Blues. Perhapes better on a JTM as Lester had played. The highs in the Staple have some unwanted frequencies, when playing through say a Plexi or JCM800 - edge of breakup sounding shrill to me.:2c:

South Park

Reaction score
Dimarzio 36th anniversary sound good to me and you can coil split them to

Eric'45

Reaction score
P94s really sound tempting. I like most of the Gibson PUs, even if the Burstbucker didn't work out in this particular Axe. But that's more down to the Guitar I suppose :erk:
I don't have any HB sized P-90's, but my go-to for mid-priced pickups for my projects is GFS.
I've used their pickups in all 3 of my home builds, and 2 of my mod guitars - never disappointed.
Here's a link to their HB sized lineup.
Humbucker Sized (guitarfetish.com)
They also have some deals in the clearance section - get a set for the price of one.
GFS Pickups Factory Blowout (guitarfetish.com)
these seem to be available at their own website only. Somehow it won't let me calculate shipping costs to Germany.
@South Park I also like Dimarzio PUs, but I'm looking more into P90s, since I already have 3 Humbucker Guitars :)

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi fellow Marshall freaks.
I decided I should treat myself to a small Christmas present, and seeing especially the LP Junior build of @fitz288 I came to the conclusion that I need a P90 Guitar in my life.
I'm not fully satisfied with my Epiphone Build https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/time-to-upgrade-that-epiphone.123985/ mostly because the Burstbucker sounds to dark, or mid- heavy, or however you wish to call it :p.

That Guitar was part of a special run, so it has no Maple Cap, and it sounds pretty dark by itself.
So what I'm looking for is a P90 Style Pickup that
- is PAF sized, since I don't want to end up with more Holes in that Guitar :lol:
- is not all that expensive (It's just a project Guitar, after all)
- has some BITE

What Humbucker- sized P90s do you like?
You could try wiring the guitar with 50's wiring, very easy to do and will brighten the tone. What pots are in the guitar, changing the pots is a little more involved but will brighten the guitar too.

Calebz

Reaction score
I have 3 p90 guitars. Two of them use HB sized p90s.

At the moment, my favorite is a railhammer huevos 90. Though the bareknuckle stockholm is a close second.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers, now I have some ideas :thumb:
You could try wiring the guitar with 50's wiring, very easy to do and will brighten the tone. What pots are in the guitar, changing the pots is a little more involved but will brighten the guitar too.
I should have elaborated more- The Guitar is wired like a 50s LP Junior, I have used the mojotone Vintage Taper Pots.

I don't understand the Guitarfetish Website- they state clearly they will ship anywhere- then there's the option to calculate shipping costs. somehow that doesn't work:pissed:. That's a pity since some of their stuff looks very interesting.

At the moment, the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat is a hot contender. What I like about them are A II Magnets and they have Vintage Cables, so they would drop right into my 50s wiring.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the Guitarfetish Website- they state clearly they will ship anywhere- then there's the option to calculate shipping costs. somehow that doesn't work:pissed:. That's a pity since some of their stuff looks very interesting.
Try an email? :shrug:
[email protected]
Probably not going to get a reply on a Sunday, but I've had questions answered on some of my build purchases in the past.
I think their pickups are good quality at a good price, but I've got no clue about shipping costs outside of the US.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers, now I have some ideas :thumb:

I should have elaborated more- The Guitar is wired like a 50s LP Junior, I have used the mojotone Vintage Taper Pots.

At the moment, the Seymour Duncan Phat Cat is a hot contender. What I like about them are A II Magnets and they have Vintage Cables, so they would drop right into my 50s wiring.
What are the pots, 250k? 300k? 500k? 1mg?

Latest posts