Ozzy Era Sabbath - Looking for a recommendation

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get all Sabbath with Ozzy.

Then get Ozzy's first two Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman. Bark at the Moon if you can find it.

Then start on the Sabbath with Dio.

Also, get all Rainbow with Dio and Ritchie Blackmore, especially Rising.

You will listen to them all for life. A core part of any hard rock/early metal collection.

Deep Purple Perfect Strangers for a trial if you want that sort of thing. Then, In Rock. Burn. Fireball. Machinehead.

Stack them next to each other and play at least one a day because a day without one of them isn't a good day.

IMO, Sabotage is the best Sabbath album with Masters a close second.
Well, I've got most of Dio's work. From Elf to Heaven and Hell. And I've owned Paranoid my whole life, but I've really come to appreciate 70s Sabbath as a whole over the last 10 years - never a big fan of Ozzy's vocal tone in the 70s even though I loved his early solo stuff.

I have Hole in the Sky, Symptom, and The Writ from Sabotage - they're great. Does the rest of the album stack up?

Randall M. Laney

Reaction score
Looks like it's down to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Master of Reality. Or maybe Black Sabbath, but I get the sense that that record is more "important" and that the others have slightly better songs. Heck, two of my favorite Sabbath songs are on Never Say Die, so I probably can't go wrong with anything. Except for Technical Ecstasy.

Thank you for all of the input!

I say go for the 1st album- to me the best way to experience Sabbath is to follow the path as they go. It’s really an incredible musical journey! Now I go back and listen to Sabatoge and Vol4 (and Dehumanizer ) more than the early LPs, but I’d say the early stuff has influenced my guitar playing more.

Used to see their early live videos on MTV back in the 80s, and to see how they took the Power Trio/ Supergroup format of the late 60s and created a whole new genre is really amazing!

TheToneDig

Reaction score
Well, I've got most of Dio's work. From Elf to Heaven and Hell. And I've owned Paranoid my whole life, but I've really come to appreciate 70s Sabbath as a whole over the last 10 years - never a big fan of Ozzy's vocal tone in the 70s even though I loved his early solo stuff.

I have Hole in the Sky, Symptom, and The Writ from Sabotage - they're great. Does the rest of the album stack up?

Ah well, you are already ahead of the game if you have that level of a collection going.

The way I look at it is this. Compared to other Black Sabbath songs they might not be as good.

Compared to other early heavy metal songs in general, they are leagues ahead.

I subscribed to YouTube music. It has literally any album for anyone you can think of.

Right now I am listening to Seventh Star and I think it's fantastic. No Ozzy. The album is even called Black Sabbath feat. Tony Iommi.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes it does, check out megalomania I can’t seem to be able to bring a link.
Cheers

Eric'45

Reaction score

:hbang:
Master of Reality
is the Album that has defined Heavy Metal. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage were not as Raw, they experimented a bit more.

I like all of them up to Mob Rules, but if I had to choose the definitive BS Album, It could only be MOR.

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That song is so brilliantly written. Sabatoge may not be part of the first 5 but it is a great album.
I tend to like Sabbath's epic tunes, like Hand of Doom, the Writ, Megalomania, etc...

The 1st album was a jam session & they kind of just went at it & went wherever it took them. Some of these long tunes, like this seem to take me back to those early days, when they just went w. the flow, rather than having a 2 minute song w/ a beginning & an end, w/ neat little verse/chorus/lead sections formulated within. (like Paranoid)

I just don't think that this (the Writ) was recorded well...

dannylerch

Reaction score
The Dio era is underrated imho. He's obviously a better vocalist and I feel like the band went some places it wasn't capable of going before. Start with Heaven and Hell and see what you think.

John Stedman

Reaction score
The first 6 albums will get you the essential Black Sabbath. I rarely listen to anything after Sabotage, Heaven and Hell/Mob Rules occasionally.

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love both Sabbath era’s …I’m huge Dio fan… but Black Sabbath will alway be Tony, Geezer, Bill and Ozzy we got very lucky with those guys

Latest posts