Overdrives ... If you had to pick Three (3)

Kutt

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Hardwire CM-2
BOSS SD-1
MXR Sugar Drive

I will say that the CM-2 seems to work in all scenarios, so maybe it's my go-to.

On the Sugar Drive side of things, I dislike these ultra compact teeny tiny pedals. MXR released a Fat Sugar pedal recently which is the full sized version of the Sugar Drive. Seems like the better choice solely for the size factor.

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
1. Soldano GTO.
2. OFA Klon Klone.
3. Keeley Red Dirt.

Boom! 3 flavor face punch. 1 and 2 are neck and neck although very different. Trying to order the Sinvertek No.5 3D GOLD right now.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Does anyone have contact info for hotubes. I sent him a pedal. Says delivered but I have been messaging him. I wonder if he is out of town. Just hoping he gets the pedal in the frozen tundra. Pm me!

JParry335

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timmy
Barber Gain Changer
Rat
I’ve never tried a Timmy but would like to. Just wouldn’t buy one just to try it.
I have the other two you call out on my board. The RAT has always been my go to but the Barber is THE BEST for low to mid gain. I use it for low gain and it shines like nothing else. Makes me want to try out some more of David’s stuff!

MXR Sugar Drive
Wampler Paisley Drive
Nocturne Brain Junior Barnyard
Tavo’s got a few pedals that I’m interested in and the Barnyard is one for that octal breakup. Good call on that one!

Reaction score
Easy one for me… I only have 3 OD pedals - Klon into KoT plus an occasionally used Sun Face. If the Sun Face doesn’t count cos it’s a fuzz, then I also have in the cupboard a criminally underused Redbeard Angry Rhubarb which is awesome for higher gain and hard clipping sounds.

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Hardwire CM-2
BOSS SD-1
MXR Sugar Drive

I will say that the CM-2 seems to work in all scenarios, so maybe it's my go-to.

On the Sugar Drive side of things, I dislike these ultra compact teeny tiny pedals. MXR released a Fat Sugar pedal recently which is the full sized version of the Sugar Drive. Seems like the better choice solely for the size factor.
Might be off topic but I need to agree with you… thought I was the only one! I swapped a mini Carbon Copy for a standard sized version on the basis of size.

Kutt

Reaction score
Might be off topic but I need to agree with you… thought I was the only one! I swapped a mini Carbon Copy for a standard sized version on the basis of size.

Yup! Even though my Sugar Drive was stuck to my pedalboard with 3M Dual Lock, it still kept popping off because the surface area was just too small. Had to use wire ties. They just flop around too much even when not velcro'd.

CroTone

Reaction score
1. Boss SD-1
2. Ibanez Tubescreamer (TS-9 or 808)
3. Strymon Sunset

johnny q

Reaction score
  1. Rimrock Mythical Overdrive VS
  2. Barber Direct Drive
  3. Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet or Fulldrive 3

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
1. Wampler Tumnus Deluxe: just perfect with any guitar and amp I own. YMMV. Allows a clean boost without sounding like a distortion pedal set really low.
2. Boss SD-1: Pairs perfectly with my Marshall DSL1HR.
3. Behringer Vintage Tube Overdrive TO800: don't laugh - gave it away thinking I could replace it with an Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. Nope, the plastic pedal sounded better. I'm loathe to spend $100+ on a TS808 reissue that may or may not sound better. Probably will just spend another $20 to replace it.

Peter McAteer

Reaction score
I’ve never tried a Timmy but would like to. Just wouldn’t buy one just to try it.
I have the other two you call out on my board. The RAT has always been my go to but the Barber is THE BEST for low to mid gain. I use it for low gain and it shines like nothing else. Makes me want to try out some more of David’s stuff!

Tavo’s got a few pedals that I’m interested in and the Barnyard is one for that octal breakup. Good call on that one!

There's nothing like the Jr. Barnyard. It's like a halo of grime around the note. :)

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I like MIAB types:
Weehbo JCM Drive or JMP.
Barber Direct Drive Compact V4
Bogner La Grange.
I tried them all.