Output transformer tone comparison coming soon to an amp I own.

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Matthews Guitars, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

My 2203 has a Hammond output transformer. And the amp sounds a little bit "off". My first 2203 was a tone BEAST, this one falls well short of that.

I found an original correct 2203 output transformer, but it had very short cut leads. I sent it off to Mercury Magnetics to be tested and re-leaded. It tested good, has been re-leaded, and has been returned to me.

I'm going to record the amp at certain defined settings, and after changing out the Hammond OT for the correct OT, I'll record again with the same selections and settings.

I'll post the clips here so we can all hear what a transformer swap can do for tone.

In the interests of doing the demo on an absolutely level playing field, the tracks will be recorded DI from the guitar, and passed through to the amp, in addition to the mic'ed cabinet being recorded. Then I can play back the DI recording to duplicate exactly the playing into the amp's input jack after the OT is swapped.

At least, that's the plan.

2. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me!

but why not buy a brand new trasformer?

and

its good what you ate doing but to be really honest the more i grow older the least time i have so my priorities have change !

why dont invest more time in playing than testing for a better tone !
    And dont get me wrong i admire what you are doing i have done it myselt testing mics , pickups , speakers , amps

but at the end the best tone improvement its the way you play!

Maybe you are a super bad ass player , and have the time and have resources to do all that but for my application right now and from now and on i will be focus on playing

and if i have some spare time i will keep rolling tubes or changigs cabs ect...

anyway keep us posted and let us know your time and efford its well taken in this forroum

3. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

By the way ho much did they charge you for the labor?

4. Matthews Guitars

35 bucks plus shipping is all it cost me to get the transformer checked and re-leaded.

I'm putting the CORRECT type of transformer back into this amp because I just don't want it to have the wrong (Hammond) transformer in it. This isn't some (possibly) pointless tone chasing exercise, it's to restore the amp to what it's supposed to be. But I might as well compare and document any changes in tone while I'm at it.

CraigP, FogDweller, Bluesrock and 3 others like this.
  5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Sounds good I have had good results with classic tone .

neoclassical likes this.
  6. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Magnetic Components is closing, if not already closed. Really sucks.

7. South Park

That sucks

8. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Same plate voltage or not?

9. CROWEMAG

CROWEMAG Well-Known Member

I like tinkering and "tone hunting" just as much as playing. I am super happy with my abilities as a player and starting to be happy with what I now know and can do to translate what tone I think I want into reality.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  10. Matthews Guitars

Plate voltage is from the POWER transformer. I'm not changing that. I'm just putting the original correct output transformer in. This will make the amp correct to its original build specs, and hopefully will cure its tonal woes. It's just nowhere as good sounding as my previous 2203, which was very much a knuckle dragging beast.

coolidge56 and StingRay85 like this.
  11. South Park

I think the best transformers are over wound . That is what the soldano did for the slo 100.

12. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Sorry its the OT is misread

13. mad5066

mad5066 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing the clips. Changing the OT will have a significant difference and I expect for the better.

14. Rockat

Rockat Member Silver Supporting Member

I am looking forward to this to. The OT when not matched can roll off the top end and bass, so this will be very interesting!

15. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

I replaced/upgraded the transformers in a TSL and the results were like this....PT....massive difference (classic tone reduced voltage probably made the difference)....went with the ot as well and that produced no real difference(but mine were original...so maybe you will have different results)....and choke made a difference in the tone as well(well...mostly came down to a feel thing except for the initial transients standing out at higher volumes....they used to wash out at higher volumes)

16. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Well-Known Member

Interested to hear the change and I'm certain a period correct will sound smother and overall better.

17. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member

Is it a Dagnall C1998?

18. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Greetings , I applaud your desire to return your amp to stock and it's original configuration , thus restoring it to original mint condition , not to least forget the correct tone/sound . I know this will be a winner for sure ! Reminds me of a few years back where i restored the correct Gibson ABR-1 Bridge with wire to my late 60's Gibson Les Paul Custom . Way back in the late 70's when doing mods to your instrument was the rage I like an idiot replaced the original ABR-1 Bridge with a Gibson Nashville Bridge , which was billed back then as being able to better tune and keep the instrument in better tune than the ABR-1 . Somewhere in the mid 90's I wanted to restore the original ABR-1 Bridge and my then tech told me he would have to fill the enlarged holes and then re drill and I was not into that . So fast forward to 2018 when i tracked down a New Old Stock brand new still in it's original Norlin era ( the then Parent company of Gibson who purchased Gibson from CMI ) packaging , and along with conversion posts from Philidelphia Luthier Supply , i was fully able to restore the correct Bridge and i was happy . I look forward to hearing your report on the new OT .

RCM 800, mad5066 and Guitar Rod like this.
  19. Matthews Guitars

I think it's a C1998 but the sticker on the end bell is long gone. It's a match in every respect, though.

20. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Very interested in this.

scozz likes this.